100 Yard's And In

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use a "sort of" clockface system, but rather than imagining numbers on a clock I have club parallel, left arm parallel and left arm to shoulder height, all with minimal wrist hinge.
My swings might not be where I think they are, but in my head that's what I'm doing and they produce very repeatable carry distances.

So I would say rather than thinking about where to swing to, just find three different swings that you think you can reproduce at any time, and see how far they hit the ball with each club you want to pitch with.

Same here,Peltz method is good but too many numbers with different length swings to remember. Just keep it simple, do the shaft parallel to the ground, then arms parallel, and see what that covers first.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't have any method. Some of the practice techniques described in previous posts would just do my head in and confuse me.

When I'm on the golf course and have a 60yd shot I just sort out what sort of shot I am going to play - from 7i low runner to 56* stratospheric lob - could do either from 60yds - depends upon what's between me and the hole and importantly - how I feel. There is absolutely nothing set in my golf in respect of distance and shot. I use my imagination, feel and trust.

But then as I don't have a distance measuring gizmo I often don't know whether I'm 50yds or 60yds - I just look and play the shot I imagine and feel - anything more proscriptive just wouldn't work for me.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
a 20 handi, a 10, a scratch and a tour pro all have a different perspective on this

I think I need something more technica like Pelz as I have not played long enough to develop the feel to get a high % up and down from 100 yards and in

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
a 20 handi, a 10, a scratch and a tour pro all have a different perspective on this

I think I need something more technica like Pelz as I have not played long enough to develop the feel to get a high % up and down from 100 yards and in

You won't get a high percentage of up and downs from 100 yards and in. it simply doesn't exist.

What you need to do and it is easily tracked from round to round is, try and make sure you take no more than 3 shots from 100 yards and in.

All you can do from 100 yards is give yourself a look at making the putt. If you don't knock it inside 6 feet you have a less than 1 in 2 chance of making it.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't have any method. Some of the practice techniques described in previous posts would just do my head in and confuse me.

When I'm on the golf course and have a 60yd shot I just sort out what sort of shot I am going to play - from 7i low runner to 56* stratospheric lob - could do either from 60yds - depends upon what's between me and the hole and importantly - how I feel. There is absolutely nothing set in my golf in respect of distance and shot. I use my imagination, feel and trust.

But then as I don't have a distance measuring gizmo I often don't know whether I'm 50yds or 60yds - I just look and play the shot I imagine and feel - anything more proscriptive just wouldn't work for me.

Echo this sentiment, although I do like to know the exact yardage so I can play an appropriate shot I've spent years learning and practicing. No substitute for hours of practice no matter what method you apply.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find this thread quite interesting as because I don't hit the ball as far as you guys 75 yards is still a full PW for me, in fact it is not until inside 50 yards that I generally have some problems. I have practiced a lot from inside 50 yards and because it is so close to the green I do have a lot of choice with types of club and shots to use.

Despite having had a poor season this part of my game has improved the most.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ahh but you have decades of experience from playing as a kid, having developed this "feel"... I play with a lot of people like this who don't use measuring devices but for us new to the game they are invaluable as we don't have the time to develop this sense quickly- it's going to take years of practice and play! Same with clock method it gives us a good estimate and starting point... i'd suggest feel will come with this and experience.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ahh but you have decades of experience from playing as a kid, having developed this "feel"... I play with a lot of people like this who don't use measuring devices but for us new to the game they are invaluable as we don't have the time to develop this sense quickly- it's going to take years of practice and play! Same with clock method it gives us a good estimate and starting point... i'd suggest feel will come with this and experience.

Yup - true.

Besides, playing to Deaconsbank greens when I was starting out there wasn't much point in lobbing the ball up in the air as they were often rock hard and you couldn't stop it. So I just learned a whole variety of lower pitch/bump and run shots from closer in. Meant that as soon as I played a course with bunkers (Deaconsbank had very few - if any - back in the day) I was a bit stuffed :)

Last edited:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yup - true.

Besides, playing to Deaconsbank greens when I was starting out there wasn't much point in lobbing the ball up in the air as they were often rock hard and you couldn't stop it. So I just learned a whole variety of lower pitch/bump and run shots from closer in. Meant that as soon as I played a course with bunkers (Deaconsbank had very few - if any - back in the day) I was a bit stuffed :)

I seem to remember giving you a few yardages from my new fangled highly technical "laser" machine thingamibob when you played round my place, altho understandable that it might have slipped your mind at your age...😂😂

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I seem to remember giving you a few yardages from my new fangled highly technical "laser" machine thingamibob when you played round my place, altho understandable that it might have slipped your mind at your age...😂😂

Oh you did - if someone offers. And I got a few off Billy and WillieP last Friday playing Bellshill. I use them to calibrate my eyesight :)