£499!!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golf gear these days does seem to be big bucks.
Considering most sellers will only custom fit you into the latest clubs and amateur golfers believing custom fitting is almost essential these days, they have pretty much got a lot of punters over a barrel!
Lots of interest free finance options available these days too so it makes paying the prices a bit easier to swallow.
You can get fitted for custom clubs without paying the major OEM's silly money. Sadly though people dont think anything but labels and brands.

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
When the time comes I’ll buy one of those £450 clubs for £100.00 on eBay. I understand that by that time new drivers will be hitting 450 yards, curing hooks slices and yips but I guess I’ll just have to wait another 5 years for that.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Pretty ludicrous price for an off the shelf driver, if you wanted one I'd wait until March and the price will have come down a little. Some people will want to be the first with it though, hard for me to get excited by titleist drivers now though , played everymodel from 909 to 917 bar the 913. They are all so similar and the new ones look also very similar to the same old. Moved to the tm m3 and couldn't be happier with it

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
As my dad used to say.."A fool and his money are soon parted"

These new drivers wouldnt be so expensive if people saw through the marketing spiel and stuck with what they had, which will probably be just as good in most instances. Because people are silly enough to pay these prices they will charge this and more.
If people want to pay the price fine - it’s their cash they can spend it how they wish. Calling them silly is a bit harsh

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s there cash they can do what they want with it. Everyone has their own value on what something is worth. Why should others who don’t want to pay that price call them names.
I fully agree, their money they can do as they wish.
I wouldnt say that saying someone was "silly" as calling them name. Egbert, Hugo or Esmerelda maybe, but "silly" no. Thats just an opinion of actions:)
Saying I was a cat1 would be silly;)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
It’s there cash they can do what they want with it. Everyone has their own value on what something is worth. Why should others who don’t want to pay that price call them names.

Is it don't want to pay it and think it silly, or can't pay it & jealous? Either way I'm with you, their cash, their choice.

Without those people buying the new ones, what do the people after the second hand ones do?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
£499 is a joke for a driver you can buy a full set for that type of cash
Full set of what ? Full set of clubs bought with price in mind instead of what works or feels best. People will spend what they want on clubs and 499 for some people is half a weeks wages so not really a huge amount of money. Some people like to have relatively up to date stuff, I wouldn't pay 499 for a driver off the shelf but if someone wants to who cares

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Full set of what ? Full set of clubs bought with price in mind instead of what works or feels best. People will spend what they want on clubs and 499 for some people is half a weeks wages so not really a huge amount of money. Some people like to have relatively up to date stuff, I wouldn't pay 499 for a driver off the shelf but if someone wants to who cares
Clubs, I'm not knocking anyone for paying whatever they want, each to there own, its the price the manufacturer is charging compared to last years model which I'd imagine there's very little difference between the two

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
People can obviously spend how much they want on whatever they want.
I think one of the biggest worries with golf equipment being so expensive is that it will put off a lot of potential players including youngsters.
The game needs a lot of young blood from all walks of life to keep it going strong.
If a parent who doesnt have lots of spare cash has a quick google search for golf gear and sees that clubs are near a grand for a set of irons and £400 for a driver then a lot will be instantly turned off.
We all know that second hand gear is available but there are many people out there who have no idea.
Golf was always seen as elitist and with the prices creeping up so high it seems to be becoming that again.
On one hand the sport is crying out for new blood and on the other it is potentially pricing them out of playing.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Although I hadn't started playing golf when the original Callaway Big Berths driver was first released, more than 20 years ago, I was told its retail price was £500 back then !