£499!!

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Officially released today the new Titleist TS drivers at a whopping £499....crazy just crazy price.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Topics like that always make me laugh. What is a lot for one it's not necessary for another person.
If someone is changing equipment every time new clubs hit the market with a hope that will fix his faults than yes its crazy money, but if someone changing clubs every couple of years I dont think its a lot.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Those who keep feeding the beast are part of the problem.

If you want to pay Titleists advertising budget, then go ahead.

You'd be as well just wiring your cash directly to Justin Thomas and Jordan Spieth.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Topics like that always make me laugh. What is a lot for one it's not necessary for another person.
If someone is changing equipment every time new clubs hit the market with a hope that will fix his faults than yes its crazy money, but if someone changing clubs every couple of years I dont think its a lot.

It may not be. But if you purchase something from 2016, it is going to pretty much do the same thing for you.

Even something that is custom fitted with great precision is not going to help a lot of amatuers as they can't / don't swing the club with great precision. Sure it may help with confidence, but I'm very very sure that spending £200 on lessons will help you more and you will still be £300 better off if you just keep your old club.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

But it is only fairly recently that clubs started going northwards of £400 regularly, now we are approaching £500.

Has the costs gone up that much, or are the OEMs just taking the pi55 out of golfer knowing that some will pay it

D

Deleted member 21258

And back in 2001, a driver cost more :-

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/callaway-erc-ii-driver-1.297646

Agree with adasko, if you have the money and wish to spend it and buy the driver, go forth.

Me personally I will wait or stick with what I have, I think new clubs, boots and clothing(I sound like an old person!!) generally have got very expensive, big corporate machines with lots of costs.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It may not be. But if you purchase something from 2016, it is going to pretty much do the same thing for you.

Even something that is custom fitted with great precision is not going to help a lot of amatuers as they can't / don't swing the club with great precision. Sure it may help with confidence, but I'm very very sure that spending £200 on lessons will help you more and you will still be £300 better off if you just keep your old club.
With your logic why people buying new cars if they can buy use one and spend the rest of the money on fuel

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My driver is about 5 years old now. When I come to change it in 3-5 years time I fully expect to pay £400+ for a new one. If your changing every 5-8 years it’s worth paying top money and getting something that will perform time after time.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I dont agree.

Golf club inflation is currently around the same rate as premiership match tickets, total law unto themselves. Dont get me started on golf shoe prices, as well.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
And back in 2001, a driver cost more :-

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/callaway-erc-ii-driver-1.297646

Agree with adasko, if you have the money and wish to spend it and buy the driver, go forth.

Me personally I will wait or stick with what I have, I think new clubs, boots and clothing(I sound like an old person!!) generally have got very expensive, big corporate machines with lots of costs.

I think the difference is that now it is becoming normal. Callaway, Taylormade and now Titleist all have clubs over £400. Before you would get the odd one. Now it seems that all the OEMs will be doing it

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can afford to spend £500 on a driver and I think it’s over the top

£200-300 most

And most the time your just paying for the pros sponsor contracts

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
With your logic why people buying new cars if they can buy use one and spend the rest of the money on fuel

Cars suffer from wear and tear and obviously each car will only run for a certain level of mileage. Plus there are far more features on a car that may make a new one more appealing or comfortable.

Plus I would never consider buying a brand new car. Purchase a used car, 2 years old or so and it will be about 1/3 to 1/2 of the price it was when brand new.
Same with drivers. Even if you buy a new one, buy a model from 18 months ago. It will probably be half price or less. 2nd hand, even better.

But a driver purchased in 2012 is going to perform almost exactly the same as it will in 2018. A car probably not quite as well.

D

Deleted member 21258

I think the difference is that now it is becoming normal. Callaway, Taylormade and now Titleist all have clubs over £400. Before you would get the odd one. Now it seems that all the OEMs will be doing it

I am not quite so sure on Drivers, I remember the Taylormade 360Ti being quite expensive when first released as well in 2000ish(from this link it says £349, cant really remember how much I paid a yearish or two later for a new one think it was £150 but could be wrong) :-

https://www.golfmagic.com/reviews/equipment/tried-and-tested-taylormade-300/1181

Taking inflation into account over the 18 years or so, then it is about the same as the £500 tbh.

Now irons, I think are more of a con, as a 'set' nowadays is almost a half set now, along with shoes and clothing seem to have jumped massively in price.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If people are prepared to pay for it then they will sell it for that. It's all supply and demand. Thats why brand such as Srixon can't go that high, as their drivers aren't ever in as high demand as a Titleist one.

If they throw in a dozen Pro V1s it suddenly makes it look a little more appealing and costs Titleist next to nothing to do so.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Golf bags seem the most expensive jump to me. They have suddenly got to silly money. It is just a bag to put clubs in. Why are carry bags £180 plus?

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Golf gear these days does seem to be big bucks.
Considering most sellers will only custom fit you into the latest clubs and amateur golfers believing custom fitting is almost essential these days, they have pretty much got a lot of punters over a barrel!
Lots of interest free finance options available these days too so it makes paying the prices a bit easier to swallow.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As my dad used to say.."A fool and his money are soon parted"

These new drivers wouldnt be so expensive if people saw through the marketing spiel and stuck with what they had, which will probably be just as good in most instances. Because people are silly enough to pay these prices they will charge this and more.