£270 for the Old Course?

D

Deleted member 15344

Lots of these courses will have a rise in fees to make up for the drop in rounds they have had from mainly US visitors

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Lots of these courses will have a rise in fees to make up for the drop in rounds they have had from mainly US visitors
Doesn’t mean they have to turn the game into one exclusively for the wealthy - that’s certainly not the tradition and roots of the game in Scotland. I’d love to play the OC but £270 is nonsense and beyond what I am willing to play for a round of golf. It irritates me hugely, but TBH I am not going to lose sleep over it as there is diddly squat I can do other than express my disappointment and, to an extent, my concern.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow - that's a big rise. Possibly puts it in the "too much" category for me.

Although I guess it's not going to be out of step with other Open rota courses

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Doesn’t mean they have to turn the game into one exclusively for the wealthy - that’s certainly not the tradition and roots of the game in Scotland. I’d love to play the OC but £270 is nonsense and beyond what I am willing to play for a round of golf. It irritates me hugely, but TBH I am not going to lose sleep over it as there is diddly squat I can do other than express my disappointment and, to an extent, my concern.

V high fees for visitors is nothing new, costs remain low for locals to be members at wonderful courses.

D

Deleted member 15344

They haven’t turned the game into “exclusive for the wealthy” ?‍♂️

A good number of these courses over very good local rates and high visitors fees balance it out

And many rely on the us visitors

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
On my 60th my kids said that they'd pay for a round for me but before I could sort it Covid hit and then this hike.
I'm now resigned to the fact that I won't play The Old Course.

Zig

Visit site
I played the Old Course a couple of weeks ago. Good weather, under a hundred quid on winter rate. Downside was a fair few bunkers were under repair, and it was fairway mats.

Get on it in the winter, (and Portrush and RCD at their discounted winter rates) for the price of one round at an Open venue in the summer. And keep your fingers crossed for the weather. No brainer for me. Totally agree that peak summer prices have got ridiculous at all our 'top' venues in GB&I.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I played it in September at £195 - was quite disappointed it had gone up so much when I saw this a month or so ago on the St Andrews Links website but I'm not surprised - Carnoustie was £270 last year - and it's not nearly the most expensive course.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It’s one course I’ve never had any interest in playing. I certainly wouldn’t pay anything like £270 for the privilege.

Bobthesock

Visit site
I played the Old Course a couple of weeks ago. Good weather, under a hundred quid on winter rate. Downside was a fair few bunkers were under repair, and it was fairway mats.

Get on it in the winter, (and Portrush and RCD at their discounted winter rates) for the price of one round at an Open venue in the summer. And keep your fingers crossed for the weather. No brainer for me. Totally agree that peak summer prices have got ridiculous at all our 'top' venues in GB&I.
Is it mats on fairways only? Do you have the option to go to the side? What about chipping from surrounds etc?

sunshine

Visit site

That's not how market forces work.

The reason they have upped the price is because there is a huge demand for tee times in excess of supply. And with the Open this year there will be no shortage of people prepared to fork out for the privilege (grudgingly).

Previously, the Old Course was probably the cheapest Open rota course, even though it is the most famous and able to charge the most. Sadly, it looks like they've decided to test how far they can go.

When we first came out of lockdown I was hoping that the lack of US visitors might lead to lower green fees, but it seems that there are plenty of golfers in this country who are prepared to splash out.