£2,000,000 or prison

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have played for over 40 years and only ever had 2 holes in one. Easy choice for me.

Being able to play golf in the first place is more important to me then money.

I have never been motivated by money just what having enough enables me to do.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Assuming the pin is in a fair spot, and there weren't too many obstacles in front of the green (so I could try a range of differently flighted shots), I'd back myself to hole one on a 125 yard hole.

Imagine the nerves though as the days wore on......:eek:

petema99

Visit site
If we had unlimited balls/someone to help collect them, then would definitely give that a go! On the basis of 50 shots an hour for 8 hours a day, that's 12,000 shots in the month - surely bound to get lucky at least once!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think I wouldn't. Don't only think of the par 3s you've played over the years, but basically every shot into a green... even from 80 or 90 yards. You imagine every full shot you've ever had into a green. Probably over 1,000 shots a year for most regular golfers. What chance randomly of holing one with 1,000+ chances a year. Very close to 0 in 100.

I've holed 2 full shots in my life and both were on winter greens with large holes.

I've also seen the European Tour do videos with tour pros getting a whole day to make it and the only one who has done it was Andy Sullivan. I'm sure 3 or 4 others have tried and failed.

In fact, I not only think I wouldn't, I know I wouldn't.

£2million is nothing compared with 5 years of my life.
Don't forget that every shot would be the same distance though in this case. Your example is a different distance, wind, elevation etc for each shot.
Assuming it's a short hole (wedge, 9i) then I think you would get dialled in very quickly and the chances of holing one is high.

D

Deleted member 21258

Wouldn't try it, dont think I would like being in prison for 5 years.

petema99

Visit site
I think I wouldn't. Don't only think of the par 3s you've played over the years, but basically every shot into a green... even from 80 or 90 yards. You imagine every full shot you've ever had into a green. Probably over 1,000 shots a year for most regular golfers. What chance randomly of holing one with 1,000+ chances a year. Very close to 0 in 100.

I've holed 2 full shots in my life and both were on winter greens with large holes.

I've also seen the European Tour do videos with tour pros getting a whole day to make it and the only one who has done it was Andy Sullivan. I'm sure 3 or 4 others have tried and failed.

Don't pros do it on longer holes though - even increasing from 125 to 150 would make a big difference IMO

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't pros do it on longer holes though - even increasing from 125 to 150 would make a big difference IMO

When I’ve seen them trying, they all go with a lot of loft. I’m probably completely wrong, but I would have thought that the odds would be improved by flighting it lower and having it land in front and run past the hole?

Not the best way of having a short birdie putt as harder to control total distance, but surely gives a better hole in one chance?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another here with no HIOs despite decades of trying. Hit the pin, ended up 6 inches behind, ended up 3 inches to the side, the whole gamut, also holed out 3 or 4 times with full shots on par-4s.

I don't think I would take the bet.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Say you play twice a week on average, and the average course has 4 par 3s, it would take about 60 years to have had 25,000 attempts, so you're compressing 60 years of attempts into 2 months, and always at the same target.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No way I would take that bet I’ve been playing 30 odd years and only come close twice, odds are not good and 5 years in the nick would seem like a life sentence

eddie_1878

Visit site
I’d probably give it a go. Assuming you’re taking 30 seconds a shot and playing 12 hours a day (a modest play time considering the stakes!), you’ll hit 7200 shots over the course of a 30 day month.

You’ve got to fancy your chances.

Edit: some horrendous maths above!...it’s actually 43200 shots over the course of a 30 day month. Unless I’ve ballsed it up again.

Last edited:

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
The 'closest' I've come to a hole-in-one other than the usual hard-luck tales is shanking one when I was about 13 which almost went behind me and then holing the second. So, basically, nothing like a hole-in-one

Swango1980

Visit site

I'd reckon I'd give it a go. Assuming the hole is under 150 yards anyway

If you had 5 shots a minute, that is 7200 attempts over the day (say over 5000 if you want to be cautious). I've had 3 hole in ones, and holed out on approach shots more than that in 15 years of playing. So, I think the odds would work in my favour.

However, if it got to the final hour, I think I'd definitely have more than 1st tee nerves.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'd reckon I'd give it a go. Assuming the hole is under 150 yards anyway

If you had 5 shots a minute, that is 7200 attempts over the day (say over 5000 if you want to be cautious). I've had 3 hole in ones, and holed out on approach shots more than that in 15 years of playing. So, I think the odds would work in my favour.

However, if it got to the final hour, I think I'd definitely have more than 1st tee nerves.
Edit, just read OP again, and I didn't realise you have an entire month. I'd definitely do it. even if I only hit 3 shots a minute, 14 hours a day, for a 31 day month, that is 78,120 attempts.