Yorkshire Boys DQ

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think they did have a choice but they chose not to take it. Even golf has a degree of flexibility if it chooses, it just chose not to here. (I know someone at this point is going to find the appropriate rule saying otherwise but life doesn't always have to be so rigid)

I agree about how well he has handled himself, a real credit.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think it was the wrong ruling too, as the article states you can't restrict people to arriving within a 30 minute window and then penalise them for an issue in getting there. The player didn't have the ability to get there early allowing for plenty of time for unforeseen events as it goes against pandemic rules which are clearly more important. Yes the car breakdown example is covered, but Covid works within exceptional circumstances.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played on Saturday with a young lad that played the event.
It was handled badly apparently. As the report says, they had been told not to arrive more than 30mins in advance. Not leaving much time for any potential issues, such as what happened. Never mind giving them enough time to get signed in, warmed up and get on the tee in time.

Alot of these youngsters are playing in the 2020pro tour events going on in the area, there is no restriction on when they can arrive in these events.
Yorkshire union got this one wrong, they should publicly apologise to the young lad and admit they made the wrong choice. There are too many old men running it that can’t bend to what’s going on in the world right now

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Or he could have driven to within 5 mins of the place and stopped for a coffee. Harsh, yes but there was an alternative for the competitor too. Just pull into a lay-by round the corner. And if he'd set off with that in mind he'd have had enough time to change the tyre.

Time to change a tyre has always been the leeway I've scheduled into a journey.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of the critics (a pro from the Cowen Academy) said – when in reality he could have just teed off later
I wonder how.
There was a full (oversubscribed) field and nowhere to slot him in. Splitting a couple of groups and thereby having a extra group would leave no time for the second round to start.

He also said “Of course, there have to be rules,” . “I respect people who say you can’t have junior rules – but you can and you have to.
What about different rules for pensioners or delivery drivers ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When you have a strict appointment time for a very important date and you have no restrictions on how long in advance you can leave to get there - I am afraid you just have to give yourself as much time as you possibly can. Indeed as much time as would be required to call a taxi were your call to conk out and still get there in time. Been there got the scars. You know the sort of thing - She wasn't there when I arrived (late) at the pub - though maybe she didn't expect me to turn up...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can see both sides and feel for the county who were left with little option if you adopt the letter of the law but I wonder also if some discretion could have been used especially if there was a phone call on route to explain the situation and perhaps look at re-working some of the other tee times.

I remember a few years ago at a Trilby tour event there was a major accident that closed the motorway and stopped a lot of players checking in on time. As is their way they were simply DQ'd but as it affected so many, who arrived to find they potentially had no game after forking out a significant fee to play, the atmosphere threatened to turn very sour until common sense prevailed and they schedule was re-worked.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Maybe the lad slept in and a flat tyre was his excuse... and the excuse from a competitor next time, and the time after? Harsh as it is if rules start to be bent, they'll have to be bent again and again.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can see both sides and feel for the county who were left with little option if you adopt the letter of the law but I wonder also if some discretion could have been used especially if there was a phone call on route to explain the situation and perhaps look at re-working some of the other tee times.
There was a phone call, and a couple of (lack of) progress calls. And the tournament committee did do a lot of work to see if anything could be done. Unfortunately they had to fall back on the rule.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There was a phone call, and a couple of (lack of) progress calls. And the tournament committee did do a lot of work to see if anything could be done. Unfortunately they had to fall back on the rule.
I get that and was more responding to post #9. I totally get (and said in my reply) that I could see both sides and when it couldn't be reorganised they had no option. Sad and clearly far more prestigious than a Trilby event but can't see what options they had

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe the lad slept in and a flat tyre was his excuse... and the excuse from a competitor next time, and the time after? Harsh as it is if rules start to be bent, they'll have to be bent again and again.
The family posted a picture of the flat tyre, it was genuine. They weren't complaining, just bemoaning the bad luck and circumstances.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking at the circumstances described, and the associated rules & interpretations, seems to me the organisers were stuck with two options: either stick by the rules, or bend them. And for "organisers", bending the rules is generally not a good idea, and likely creates a noose for their necks. T'was unfortunate for the lad that they had to impose the right decision.

D

Deleted member 1147

Is it a Pro event, with cash/tour card on the line? - No
Is it a WAGR event? - No

So what would it really matter if he was allowed out later? - Nothing

Poor form by the organisers

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it a Pro event, with cash/tour card on the line? - No
Is it a WAGR event? - No

So what would it really matter if he was allowed out later? - Nothing

Poor form by the organisers
So what other rules do you suggest they ignore?
If he had won, how many protests would there have been?

But they were playing for the opportunity to play for the county and for England. Most of these lads are elite players. Charlie was off 1 a month ago.

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

But they were playing for the opportunity to play for the county and for England. Most of these lads are elite players. Charlie was off 1 a month ago.
The organisers can’t win whatever they had done. People would complain either way and it could have opened up other protests if the lad was allowed to play and won a prize or something.
Sad thing to happen to the lad but I think the organisers made the right decision, however harsh

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

It would have been simple enough to jiggle around a couple of groups. They were in contact, they ended up being only 5 minutes late. Bring forward two, 3 groups at most, slot this group in after that. It really isn't hard and it would be what any other sport would do. It is another 'golf shoots itself in the foot' moment with its rules pedantry. People looking from outside will just shake their heads in bemusement.