Yorkshire Boys DQ

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just can’t see how the organisers had any choice.
Why should others be put out for a late arriver.
The lad took it well. To his credit.
He will have learned a very valuable lesson .better to be early .
Just sit in the car at the entrance until his 30 min allowance.
That said some of these players rely on others to give them a lift , so his timekeeping might be good but his drivers might not be

I can’t stand being late, I get everywhere early , just smell the flowers or a cup of tea

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The thing I can't fathom is why it takes anyone more than about 5 minutes (10 at a push) to change a wheel?

Also the wheel nuts can be incredibly tight, I’ve had to get the AA out to help and that’s after a 15 stone lump was bouncing on the wheel brace ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What logic dictates that other rules would need to be bent?

This rule has a specific exemption for exceptional circumstances (I assume used somewhere before without the rules of golf falling apart) whereas the others don’t. As said earlier I personally think Covid restricting point of arrival makes this exceptional but understand the county decision.

If they had stated exceptional, then nobody is going to say their out of bounds shot shouldn’t count. That argument doesn’t make any sense personally.
It's because you would be bending a rule of golf to allow someone to play.
Once you've bent one rule, for whatever reason, you open the doors for people to demand you bend a rule for them..
Exceptional circumstances doesn't include a car breaking down...
The arrival time was set by the county and has little real relevance to the ruling..as has been said, there was nothing to stop him getting there an hour early and waiting down the road for his 30 minute window.
It's an unfortunate event but the county didn't have much choice ..

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
The thing I can't fathom is why it takes anyone more than about 5 minutes (10 at a push) to change a wheel?

Even run flat tyres don’t always get you home as I’ve found out twice now. Once the tread came completely off and another time the sidewall collapsed. Both times had to sit and wait for the AA to recover me home.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would have thought he would have wanted to get there early and as soon as the 30 minute window was open, get signed in and hitting a few balls to loosen up and hit a few putts especially given it was a fairly prestigious event

D

Deleted member 1147

I would have thought he would have wanted to get there early and as soon as the 30 minute window was open, get signed in and hitting a few balls to loosen up and hit a few putts especially given it was a fairly prestigious event
He probably did want to do that, but unfortunately had a tyre blow out

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I agree with the decision.
Unfortunately it’s just bad luck, one of the bum deals life throws at you occasionally.
Once you start bending rules, it becomes open to abuse by others, challenges, justifications as why on this occasion and not that, etc etc.
And why have we heard so much about it? Why was it necessary to post it on ‘social media’?
If he’d missed a flight check in, ferry or train (all having scheduled time ‘constraints’), would there be a call for the airline to hold the plane etc etc?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree with the decision.
Unfortunately it’s just bad luck, one of the bum deals life throws at you occasionally.
Once you start bending rules, it becomes open to abuse by others, challenges, justifications as why on this occasion and not that, etc etc.
And why have we heard so much about it? Why was it necessary to post it on ‘social media’?
If he’d missed a flight check in, ferry or train (all having scheduled time ‘constraints’), would there be a call for the airline to hold the plane etc etc?

Football, Rugby, Cricket all have set kick off/start times - all have examples of matches being delayed because of traffic issues. Weddings have set times but a registrar wouldn't cancel because of an incident on the journey if running 15 mins late, same with dinner reservations etc made for a set time.

If they genuinely had no scope to slot the players in anywhere else as mentioned above then fair enough that's life, but a contrived example about a plane or train schedule or the fact that players will suddenly deem it appropriate to bend all rules (that don't include an exceptional circumstances point i.e. there must be something that does allow them to dismiss this rule and therefore already open to challenge) should not be the basis for that conclusion personally.

It's fair to say I'm not a fan of obeying rules for rules sake, just if they have a sensible reason behind them :)