Yellow ball comp, yellow ball not counted

incatrekker

Visit site
Last week the winners of a 3 ball yellow ball comp (yellow + 1 other to count) were announced. Later examination of the card showed one hole had 2 scores recorded neither player being the one with the yellow ball. 7 days later we are awaiting a decision. I think it’s DQ, opinions/comments welcome...

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
DQ surely. The whole point is that it is a fun comp, where the score of yellow ball and best of the other 2 count. You are also meant to (Presumably) have 6 holes each with the yellow ball.

I once played a Society where the yellow ball had to be handed in at the end for the card to count. 1st, I smashed it into the woods, and we never saw it again! :) FAIL!

wjemather

Visit site
Depends on the terms of the competition. By the RoG competitors are only responsible for gross hole scores, not team scores/Stableford points - it's the committees responsibility to ensure they are correct before publishing the result. As such, I'd say it should not be a DQ unless they were intentionally trying to cheat.

Either way, options would be for the original result to stand or amend the scores and publish updated results, but again, it depends on the terms of the competition.

incatrekker

Visit site
It was a yellow ball comp and the yellow ball score counts plus 1 other from 2. In this case the player with the yellow ball didn’t score any points, but the team recorded both of the other scores. Competition rules were breached, and the total recorded score was better than actually achieved under the rules.

incatrekker

Visit site
As you say it's a Stableford, the yellow ball scored zero points on that hole and the best of the other 2 scores counts towards the total.
So the fact that the 2 other scores are recorded seems irrelevant to me, one of them is just an additional number written on the card that doesn't count.

The points total needs to be adjusted to delete the lower points score from that particular hole.

Edit, IanMcC beat me to it.
Sounds right to me (y)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did any of the players record a gross score for that hole.

In fact did any players in the comp record any gross scores on any hole?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds like a gross score for 2 balls . Neither being the yellow was entred . Entering a lower score should lead to a DQ i would think ..

Not sure this comp would be covered by RoG bit like scrambles so possibly need to see CoCs

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
No he's clearly already said its a Stableford.
The yellow ball scored zero points on the hole in question, just disregard the lowest of the 2 scores recorded.
Is entering a gross score lower than what u scored not a DQ ..if they hadnt signed and returned card , then what u say is grand , but it was signed and returned

Ok it was a wrong ball but they still enterd a wrong score lower than they should on the card .. do rules not rules state someyhing on them lines ?
As i said before i dont think RoG cove this comp anyhow

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Crikey.

The competition is the Stableford score of the yellow ball on each hole, plus the best stableford score of the other 2 balls on each hole.
This is recorded by writing the gross and the points, although the latter is not required.

On the hole in question, there was no yellow ball score recorded, so therefore the yellow ball scores zero points.

See post 3, that's why I asked Stableford or medal.
If it was medal and no yellow ball score was recorded its obviously a DQ.

But it's not.
No bother thanks for explaining i would have been wrong if id been asked for advice on it, have never been involved in a comp like this , we dont play many like that over here

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The committee is responsible for determining the stableford points. To do this they need to know the gross score for the relevant player, in this case the yellow.
Was his gross score for that hole (whether NR or not) obvious to the committee?

Last edited:

incatrekker

Visit site
The committee is responsible for determining the stableford points. To do this they need to know the gross score for the relevant player, in this case the yellow.
Was his gross score for that hole (whether NR or not) obvious to the committee?
Just got more complicated. Marker now claims he entered the yellow ball gross score against the wrong player. It’s now referred to the committee.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely if the rule of scoring the comp is that the score with the yellow ball and (presumably) the best of the 2 non yellow balls Stableford points count, then the yellow ball player scored zero and the if the two other players scores were entered instead and assuming that one of those was better than zero they have signed for a score better than they achieved and , I guess disqualified for doing so.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just got more complicated. Marker now claims he entered the yellow ball gross score against the wrong player. It’s now referred to the committee.

The closest rules in the book for this circumstance would be those for 4BBB

Each score on the scorecard must be clearly identified as the score of the individual partner who made it; if this is not done, the side is disqualified.
• It is not enough to identify a score as the score of the side in general.

We had a big barny with one visiting team last year because the marker put the score against the wrong player which resulted in one less stableford point and took them out of the prizes. They wanted us to just change it and would not accept the rule or the appropriate interpretation when it was shown to them.