Years playing, Lessons & H'cap

D

Deleted member 1147

Without getting away from the point of @AliMc thread It might also be interesting to add in the average time spent practicing each week (i'm curious how often the single fig guys are working on their game (not 'practice' rounds)

I hit the range 2-3 times a week but I'd admit my practice isn't structured enough, just tend to work on the problem clubs from last round plus putting/chips

When I was young, my mates & I would do chipping practice (normally competition based) & a bit of putting.
As an adult I practice very little on the range. But in summer play 9-15 holes in the week as prep' for the weekend round.

Practice on the range bores the life out of me.?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My 51 years playing like you is probably about 54 as well as I lived on a farm and hit a few balls around a field next to our house, 51 years playing proper golf
My equivalent to your field was a private school’s playing field that was across the road from our house. Wasn’t really supposed to go into it but they were OK if I didn’t hack up the cricket square. I used the high jump pit as a bunker and put sticks in each corner of the field for holes ?. It was 117 paces top to bottom and I can recall starting to hit balls into the wood over the bottom fence as I got better and also recall the first time I got a 5i properly off the ground ??

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
25 years
3 or 4
HI 15

There's always advice on here to get lessons and loads commenting are single figs with only having 1 or 2. Natural talent, lucky sods.
I’m having a lot more lessons these last 9 months as I have to break out of the swing I cultivated and ‘grooved’ for those 50+ yrs. It worked well until I fell very painfully off the tightrope I had been expertly walking while all the time thinking I had a grooved swing.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
When I was young, my mates & I would do chipping practice (normally competition based) & a bit of putting.
As an adult I practice very little on the range. But in summer play 9-15 holes in the week as prep' for the weekend round.

Practice on the range bores the life out of me.?

I really enjoy time at the range, rather than 9 holes (that could be swayed because I'd have to pay green fees for any on-course practice)
50-60 balls, then time round the short game area then off to the putting green is a great way to spend a couple of hours. All for a fiver. Range is all grass though so that helps, I doubt i'd enjoy it so much off a mat

D

Deleted member 1147

I really enjoy time at the range, rather than 9 holes (that could be swayed because I'd have to pay green fees for any on-course practice)
50-60 balls, then time round the short game area then off to the putting green is a great way to spend a couple of hours. All for a fiver. Range is all grass though so that helps, I doubt i'd enjoy it so much off a mat
We're very lucky with our practice area. We have 4 chipping greens, a large putting green, proper undercover driving range and large grass range area.
But I'd still rather just go out and play.

That said, my first 4 weeks post operation ends on sunday, so I may go and do a little bit of chipping and pitching one evening.

peld

Visit site
Playing - about 17 years since i first played, but have a 7 year break in there and realistically only been a proper dedicated golfer for last 3-4 years
Lessons - about 4 on a 1-1 basis, did a few group classes early on
H'cap 12.5

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
34 years since I set out to be the perfect blend of Ballesteros short game and distance, and Faldo precision and consistency, which I saw as a gap in world golf at the time.
Haven't quite reached that goal. Yet. Currently 12.2.
Got to 12 two years after taking up the game, and bouncing 11-13 ever since other than a few years when life got in the way of golf and my true handicap was probably 20 even though it didn't actually get there. Under whs I'd say it would have. Normal service of 12 resumed once I got back playing regularly again.
No lessons for the first 15 years. Then about 6 in a period of 5 years, but they added nothing at all.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
35 years.
5 lessons

Seems like no pro's getting rich off this crowd. CBA to do the maths, but the lessons per month overall average must be miniscule.

I also disagree with those saying hints and tips and on line videos are lessons - there is an equal (or greater!!) possibility that those are pointing you in completely the wrong direction, whereas a lesson with a pro includes analysis and fix.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Playing: 24 years
Lessons: Probably around 20 (recently had around half a dozen which helped to bring my index down from 2.6 to 0.4)
H'cap Index: 0.4

Whilst I was having lessons I was going to the range 2 or 3 times a week but since the weather has improved & the nights are drawing out I tend to just play & practice on the course

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
52 years. (Started very young!). 54 if you include an 18-hole pitch and putt course.
No lessons.

Current practice time regime = Nil.

I did practice a lot in my teens to get from 18 to 5 handicap in two years. In that time I read all the instructional books in my local library by people such as Max Faulkner, John Jacobs, etc.
Maybe that counts as lessons? Didn't cost owt, though.

D

Deleted member 15344

First started playing properly 12/13 years ago now

Zero lessons

Handicap 1

Jason.H

Visit site
35 years.
5 lessons

Seems like no pro's getting rich off this crowd. CBA to do the maths, but the lessons per month overall average must be miniscule.

I also disagree with those saying hints and tips and on line videos are lessons - there is an equal (or greater!!) possibility that those are pointing you in completely the wrong direction, whereas a lesson with a pro includes analysis and fix.

I watched a Tommy Fleetwood fairway wood video last week. High and low ball flights. Works a treat. Personally I,d take free tips off a tour pro any day.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
2 years playing (plus one summer when in high school)
5/6 lessons (half hour each)
15.2 Index

I just play regularly, dont "practice" much - but I suppose during the rounds by myself I do drop the odd ball here and there to rehit a bad shot and stuff like that.

MikeF86

Visit site
Playing time - Circa 10 years
Lessons - Very sporadic but circa 20 or so
Handicap - 24.3
Biggest issue - Nomad golfer so handicap is via England golf, all my rounds this year submitted on them but joined a society so played lots of course for the 1st time.
Practice - 2 x Range a month probably during Apr-Sep

D

Deleted member 15344

Without getting away from the point of @AliMc thread It might also be interesting to add in the average time spent practicing each week (i'm curious how often the single fig guys are working on their game (not 'practice' rounds)

I hit the range 2-3 times a week but I'd admit my practice isn't structured enough, just tend to work on the problem clubs from last round plus putting/chips

Zero practise hours for me

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Been playing 16 years after never having any interest in golf before taking it up in in 2006. HD a fair few lessons, but not till i had got down to single figures. Off 2.8 at the moment. Not a fan of practice and don't do any sort if I can help it. Been to the practice ground twice this year, not very much last year at all, though I was playing well all year.

Dandyer1995

Visit site
been playing must be 18 years

had more lessons than I can count, got to be 100's

practice now twice a month if that, plus 9 holes hitting multiple shots into greens, chips etc

G1z1

Visit site
Playing- 18 months

Lessons - maybe 50 so far

HC -24 although not handed a card in since around September last year.

Practice - maybe once a week but want to focus more time to practice this year