Years playing, Lessons & H'cap

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
About 12 years
too many lessons to count. easily up towards 100
current index is 4.0, but was 0.8 not so long ago ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Without getting away from the point of @AliMc thread It might also be interesting to add in the average time spent practicing each week (i'm curious how often the single fig guys are working on their game (not 'practice' rounds)

I hit the range 2-3 times a week but I'd admit my practice isn't structured enough, just tend to work on the problem clubs from last round plus putting/chips

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Without getting away from the point of @AliMc thread It might also be interesting to add in the average time spent practicing each week (i'm curious how often the single fig guys are working on their game (not 'practice' rounds)

I hit the range 2-3 times a week but I'd admit my practice isn't structured enough, just tend to work on the problem clubs from last round plus putting/chips
Range..no more than once a month...all practice is on the course early morning 9 hole rounds 2 or 3 times a week.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hard to describe these as "Lessons" though......
But if someone spends hours watching you tube tutorials, and then days practising the drills from these videos, and says he has never had a lesson?
Same as saying you hit it 300+yards, but the hole is downhill, baked fairway and good following breeze ?

AliMc

Visit site

That's a good idea Slab so I'll go 1st
Time spent practicing - Nil !

AliMc

Visit site
That's a good idea Slab so I'll go 1st
Time spent practicing - Nil !
Not being big-headed in any way but I've been told by a few folk that I play with that I've always had a good swing, maybe I'm just lucky
The only lesson I've had was to sort a specific issue when I moved to Dunbar and struggled to cope in a heavy left to right wind, I wanted to learn how to hit a draw so that I could move it both ways

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Playing for: 2 years properly (few driving range sessions and hacked around a 9 holer in my early teens.)

Lessons: 5hrs

HI: 11.2

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing 45 years
First lesson after my first game and a few in the first year or 2
Joined a club 8 years after first starting and had regular lessons initially and then whenever I had a problem until about the age of 55.
Lowest handicap 5.4
Currently 12.4

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Started playing around 1979, had a few years break, probably played 20 to 25 years total.
Lessons, maybe a dozen.
Current HI 12.0

The lessons thing is a bit of a red herring in my eyes.
To all those low handicappers who've said less than 5 lessons, I assume this refers to formal lessons from a Pro?

But have you had help from other players during your time? Useful tips and pointers given during play, on the range, in the bar, etc?
To me these equate to lessons and can often be much more helpful than formal lessons in the traditional sense.

D

Deleted member 1147

playing for 30 years, less a 5 year break in early 20's

lessons - a few dozen

current handicap - 2.8

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
first picked up a club when I was early teens maybe and played a couple of times with my uncle, nothing serious though. Then maybe a handful of rounds in my 20's. Finally took it up properly after stopping sailing and would say I am in my 2nd full year as a member playing regularly.

I have regular lessons.

Current index is 14.5.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played from about 12-16 then didn't pick up a club for 10 years. Got my first handicap at 26 and now 42 so been playing properly about 16 years.
Lessons: 1 to check the best loft for the driver I had at the time and another as part of a free lesson for a group of 4 which ended in the guy saying there wasn't anything he could do to improve my game in my time within that environment.
Practice: I've been to a range to practice less than 10 times in my life so any "practice" is really a game that doesn't involve having a card in my hand.
HI: 4.8.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
To all those low handicappers who've said less than 5 lessons, I assume this refers to formal lessons from a Pro?

I answered the question asked ''how many lessons have you had?''
As far as I'm concerned, a lesson is one on one with the pro and you pay for it.
Not much natural talent here so just many hours of practice and watching good players.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am suspecting a bit of forum bull with some of these posts. No way have all these people got to single figures without lessons. Maybe if people counted tips from playing partners, you tube tutorials, practising, etc as lessons then maybe we will see some proper figures.
Or maybe the forum is full of naturally gifted players:rolleyes:
Being single figures is not that good you know.
Don't see why anyone would lie.
?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

for me, when I was improving a lot, I was having regular lessons and probably at the range twice a week or more. And then playing twice at weekends.

nowadays, I don’t hit balls on the range from week to week (will go back if things really slip) and just play with what I have got. i might play some holes during the week in the summer, but I wouldn’t call it ‘practice’