Yardages? Do you know your "real" yardages?

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been doing a lot of work on the practice field at the moment and I've decided to real grind out what my numbers are for each club and swing.
So far I've done my PW, 52d and 58d. With full , 10-2, 9-3, 8-4 swings. So I've basically got every number under 140 sorted out.

I'm going to do my irons next. It'll be interesting to see if the distances are true to what my ego tells me.

has anybody done this? what did you think of the results? did you hit it further or less than you thought.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know roughly what my yardages are from playing on the course and the driving range. The problem is that a lot of people (me included) tend to take their best yardage as their average yardage. So I might look at my approach and think "155 yards - that's a 7 iron" but in fact it's only a 7 iron when I get perfect contact which maybe only happens 1 in 4 times. So I'd be better taking a 6.

G

guest100718

I did for my xr pros. but need to do a new session on the gc2 for my titleists as the lofts are quite a bit different

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
I done this recently after getting my old 20 year old irons back in play the lofts were so different.
I was all over the place

I used a trackman and some proper golf balls and I have to say that knowing the yardages has enabled me to hit more greens in 3 rounds since
So worthwhile

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
yeah totally agree with you there - especially when its windy aswell - means you can club up/down sufficiently. I did it at the beginning of the season and was doing alright - had a complete swing change since and done it again. Hopefully will get some good results. Cat 1 is the target so I'm just doing all I can to try and get there.

kevingopher

Medal Winner
Visit site
I feel I know my 'perfect yardages' really well. I do find however, that there is so much more to assessing what club to hit than just the dry number already ascertained. My yardages can vary a fair bit on any given day. Not just because of course conditions etc (wet, dry or windy etc.) but also depending on how loose/stiff I feel and general well being on the day. My yardages can vary by a good club in perfect conditions.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Got new (to me) irons so the answer has to be 'no' at the moment, all I do know is that I'm now getting a consistent draw rather than a fade/slice and that the 7i is consistently longer than my old 7i so all's good so far... :thup:

D

Deleted member 18121

I have an idea, but I'm very much a feel player. I'll get a yardage from my GPS but then go with my gut feeling on which club I'll need.......maybe thats where I'm going wrong.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have an idea, but I'm very much a feel player. I'll get a yardage from my GPS but then go with my gut feeling on which club I'll need.......maybe thats where I'm going wrong.

If you know 'roughly' yer specific yardages per club then I'd go with that although understandably that doesn't always work out right due to certain uncontrollable influences such as wind etc...

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep know mine, did a Trackman gapping session earlier in the year and nowadays I'm far more pragmatic about the distances I actually hit it

Also spent a fair bit of practice time working on wedge distances this year which has massively helped <100 yards

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Dod my yardages on the practice ground last year. Hit ten balls with my irons and hybrid into and downwind. Ten balls. Took an average of the middle five (taking out mi***** and the longest) to give a distance into and down breeze.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On any given day it's your best guess.
7 iron flushed 165yds.
7 iron ok 155yds
7 iron iffy 140 yds .
so you factor in how you are playing and wind , ground conditions and pick your club but you won't hit 7 iron 165yds if your not playing well.
Although your ego will still tell you it's on.
This is where your course management comes in and experience is needed to say " not striping it " so 165 yds becomes 6 iron.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I am pretty certain about my full iron shots from 6 iron to PW. The 5 iron is a bit more erratic and with the longer clubs, woods and hybrids, quality of strike as well as condition of the fairway comes into play way more, so it is more of a guessing game. I know I absolutely max out at 150 m with the 3 wood and about 140 m with the hybrid, but shots of 110 to 130 m are much more common with both clubs.

I stink at distance control with chipping and pitching.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am pretty certain about my full iron shots from 6 iron to PW. The 5 iron is a bit more erratic and with the longer clubs, woods and hybrids, quality of strike as well as condition of the fairway comes into play way more, so it is more of a guessing game. I know I absolutely max out at 150 m with the 3 wood and about 140 m with the hybrid, but shots of 110 to 130 m are much more common with both clubs.

I stink at distance control with chipping and pitching.
This is a topic about yardages not metreages... :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Back in the days when there were no course planners and most courses did not even have 150 yardage markers, I walked the course and did my own 'yardage' chart.

When I bought my first GPS unit it made me realise that my stride was less than a yard so my personal yardage book was out.

I am going through an injury hit period so getting my yardages right has become a bit of hit and miss affair especially with new irons in the bag which are about 5 yards shorter than my old set (higher lofts and shorter shafts).

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Check them every time I change equipment.

Usually have my irons & woods fitted so you get an idea from Trackman.

Check this by going out in the evening and finding a quiet spot on the course to hit shots and check yardages. Find 20 balls with each gives you a good average if you stand in the middle of the group.

One thing I did find thaat made a difference is to use the same balls I play with to check the yardages - not range balls or a mixed bag of random finds. Obvious but did make a significant difference,

Last edited: