Yardage/Gap Testing Tonight

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right, I've looked through the numbers, removed any outlandishly good ones and then taken an average of five decent hits with each club, to give me what I think are fair yardages for me to work with going forward (rounded to nearest whole number):

Club -- Total Carry
Driver - 224 - 191
3H 20° - 190 - 158
4H 23° - 172 - 147
5H 27° - 162 - 145
7 iron - 148 - 131
8 iron - 139 - 126
9 iron - 129 - 121
PW ----- 116 - 110
46° ---- 108 - 102
50° ---- 101 - 98
56° ---- 81 -- 79

Gapping not too bad I don't think? I hit the 9 and PW less yards than I thought, based on this, but good to know anyway. The 46° was the last addition to plug a gap and I think it is doing that ok. The 5H is doing it's job as well, which is good because that was one I wasn't sure on yardage-wise. All in all I think I'm actually covered and wouldn't need to change anything here.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Your 7,8 and 9 irons are too close carry-wise- 3 clubs covering 10 yards.
Dont put too much stock in the overall distance.
It's so dependent on ground and weather conditions and, by and large, you cant control it.
You cant guarantee a 9 iron will go 129 after flying 121- pitch onto an up slope and it's gone 122, pitch on a down slope and it could go 135.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your 7,8 and 9 irons are too close carry-wise- 3 clubs covering 10 yards.
Dont put too much stock in the overall distance.
It's so dependent on ground and weather conditions and, by and large, you cant control it.
You cant guarantee a 9 iron will go 129 after flying 121- pitch onto an up slope and it's gone 122, pitch on a down slope and it could go 135.
Ok so what's the answer? Sell my 8 iron?? :LOL: I kinda figure that irons are what they are and you work around them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Were you playing in Nevada? There are some generous roll out numbers there. A 32yd roll out with a 3 wood would be nice every time :D.

What numbers will you work off, carry, total or somewhere inbetween?

Out of interest, do you think those numbers, carry and total, are about what you would expect in normal weather out on the course?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Were you playing in Nevada? There are some generous roll out numbers there. A 32yd roll out with a 3 wood would be nice every time :D.

What numbers will you work off, carry, total or somewhere inbetween?

Out of interest, do you think those numbers, carry and total, are about what you would expect in normal weather out on the course?
Total yes, they were about right for most of them. Carry I never had any idea, they are a bit lower than I would have guessed maybe. As we're still in winter I'll be working closer to the carry yardages since we're obviously not getting much roll at the moment. Then once we get into spring and summer it'll be the totals.

The high amount of roll on my hybrids probably just reflects how thinly I hit them, lol.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Right, I've looked through the numbers, removed any outlandishly good ones and then taken an average of five decent hits with each club, to give me what I think are fair yardages for me to work with going forward (rounded to nearest whole number):

Club -- Total Carry
Driver - 224 - 191
3H 20° - 190 - 158
4H 23° - 172 - 147
5H 27° - 162 - 145
7 iron - 148 - 131
8 iron - 139 - 126
9 iron - 129 - 121
PW ----- 116 - 110
46° ---- 108 - 102
50° ---- 101 - 98
56° ---- 81 -- 79

Gapping not too bad I don't think? I hit the 9 and PW less yards than I thought, based on this, but good to know anyway. The 46° was the last addition to plug a gap and I think it is doing that ok. The 5H is doing it's job as well, which is good because that was one I wasn't sure on yardage-wise. All in all I think I'm actually covered and wouldn't need to change anything here.
TBH the 46 and 50 look similar, i woudl always go with Carry numbers and 98 and 102 nothing in it TBH, i would ditch one of them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
TBH the 46 and 50 look similar, i woudl always go with Carry numbers and 98 and 102 nothing in it TBH, i would ditch one of them.
I am surprised they were that close when they're both Cleveland RTX's of one iteration or another. It might be worth me sacking off the 46, 50 & 56 and just getting a 48 & 54 in their place. My only reservation is that I've had that 50 for like two and a half years and I've always known it to be my 100 yards club dead on. But that may just be one of those quirky human fixations on nice round numbers... it's not like I leave myself exactly 100 yards any more often than other yardages. :LOL:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always start with the driver and work your way down, after doing a full session most are too tired to do a driver but can wedge it no problem.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The gaps between your wedges might be further apart on another day, it's not like you hit a huge number of shots to get a true average.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The gaps between your wedges might be further apart on another day, it's not like you hit a huge number of shots to get a true average.
Yeah that's true. I actually took the longest hit out of the 46° average because it seems abnormally high, but maybe I should have left it in. That was 116 with 110 carry. Including that would have separated it from the 50° more, but nearer to the PW of course. In all honesty I'll probably leave the bag as it is, I'm reasonably satisfied with the numbers. Don't have money to chuck on new wedges anyway. :p

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I am surprised they were that close when they're both Cleveland RTX's of one iteration or another. It might be worth me sacking off the 46, 50 & 56 and just getting a 48 & 54 in their place. My only reservation is that I've had that 50 for like two and a half years and I've always known it to be my 100 yards club dead on. But that may just be one of those quirky human fixations on nice round numbers... it's not like I leave myself exactly 100 yards any more often than other yardages. :LOL:
i would either drop the 46 or get it bent to 48 which will increase the bounce, then drop the 50 or bend that to 48 whic would decrease the boubce. I would keep the 56 as your sand wedge its handy to have a bit more loft

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would definitely leave your clubs as they are until you get the strike sorted as I'd imagine you will gain huge distances simply by not hitting it fat, and you are probably getting away with a bit because it is a mat and not outdoors so you get a bit of bounce and forgiveness.

Personally I would completely ignore total distance and purely focus on carry. Run will be affected too much by conditions.