Yardage/Gap Testing Tonight

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very similar distances to me, good to see not everyone drives it 300+.

Fear not. I am a self-confessed short hitter and aveage arround 220-230 with the driver and about 138-142 with a 7 iron. I know my limitations, but perhaps more importantly my distances so I know what club I need to hit. Whether that is a club or even two more than a PP doesn't matter as long as I hit target regularly

albie999

Visit site
Fear not. I am a self-confessed short hitter and aveage arround 220-230 with the driver and about 138-142 with a 7 iron. I know my limitations, but perhaps more importantly my distances so I know what club I need to hit. Whether that is a club or even two more than a PP doesn't matter as long as I hit target regularly

Short hitter and hit 220-230 with a driver .. lol .... I would love to get up there somewhere

albie999

Visit site

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Plenty of 190-210 in there to keep the average down and definitely around 200 in the winter with cold wet conditions. Usually shortest in my group!
Yeah same. They always publish stats saying that 210-220 is the average, but it sure feels short to me when my two regular playing partners are 40 yards past me every week. Obviously a heck of a lot of seniors out there bringing the overall average distance down. I would be more interested in seeing average distances categorised by age, as I'm sure mine are short for someone under 35!

YandaB

Visit site
Yeah same. They always publish stats saying that 210-220 is the average, but it sure feels short to me when my two regular playing partners are 40 yards past me every week. Obviously a heck of a lot of seniors out there bringing the overall average distance down. I would be more interested in seeing average distances categorised by age, as I'm sure mine are short for someone under 35!
I think that someone posted them on another thread here recently but I'll do it again anyhow. This is what has been published from Game Golf (therefore total distance and not carry) which by now must have quite a sizeable amount of data:

Average%20driving%20distance.png

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that someone posted them on another thread here recently but I'll do it again anyhow. This is what has been published from Game Golf (therefore total distance and not carry) which by now must have quite a sizeable amount of data:

Cheers for that. If you take an average between my handicap range (215.65) and my age (231.21) you pretty much get my actual driving average. :LOL:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

yes it was me in the How much have you gained thread when someone said 250 was short

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just completed my own Gap testing (on Skytrak), seems I need to be looking at my GW and also my 6 iron

Carry yardages
View attachment 29158

Total yardages
View attachment 29159
Get yourself a 5 hybrid and sack off the 6 iron, you know it makes sense. The GW might just be a slight anomaly where you didn't hit it that well on the day, I don't know - depends what lofts your wedges are I guess.

albie999

Visit site
Yeah, I have been contemplating a hybrid to fill the 4-hybrid and 7 iron gap, but when I tried a 5 hybrid, it was going similar distance to my 4 hybrid .... might just need to choke down on the 4-hybrid

My wedge lofts are :
PW - 45 degree
GW - 50 degree
SW - 54 degree
LW - 60 degree

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I have been contemplating a hybrid to fill the 4-hybrid and 7 iron gap, but when I tried a 5 hybrid, it was going similar distance to my 4 hybrid .... might just need to choke down on the 4-hybrid

My wedge lofts are :
PW - 45 degree
GW - 50 degree
SW - 54 degree
LW - 60 degree
Is your SW part of the iron set? Might explain why it carries a bit further if so. If not then I'm out of ideas.

albie999

Visit site
I am so confused with this game of golf ... so, quick test done ... Hybrid 4 is normal, Hybrid 5 is gripped down ..... I actually seemed to hit better with gripping down lol

hybrid-grip-down.jpg

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, the PW and SW are part of the Ben Ross HTX set, The GW is still a Ben Ross, but part of the MDR range. And the Lob Wedge, is a Callaway MD3
Ah yeah, I found something similar - if the wedge is part of a game improver iron set, it seems to just go further than an ordinary wedge of the same loft would do. That's why I have a 44° PW (part of my irons) and a 46° Cleveland wedge plugging the gap to my 50°.

I am so confused with this game of golf ... so, quick test done ... Hybrid 4 is normal, Hybrid 5 is gripped down ..... I actually seemed to hit better with gripping down lol
I grip down slightly on my hybrids, I find it makes the strike better - just shortening the shaft slightly makes it easier I guess.

albie999

Visit site
I grip down slightly on my hybrids, I find it makes the strike better - just shortening the shaft slightly makes it easier I guess.

Well, even if nothing else from this, I have learned how to hit my hybrid better :) ... looks like I may need to look at something in the GW area, but also still need to find something to replace the 6 (or hit it better lol)

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site

My wedge lofts are :
PW - 45 degree
GW - 50 degree
SW - 54 degree
LW - 60 degree
In my experience, a hybrid often goes further that the equivalent numbered iron, so you might be better trying a 6h to fit the gap between 7i and 4h. Gaps often reduce between longer clubs, so you probably won't have that big a jump between 6h and 4h.

albie999

Visit site
Further to my Wedge issue, does anyone think maybe seeing if I could bend my GW by 1-2 degree would help the gaping? Another test done this morning, just to see if was an off day yesterday, but same results pretty much

1581503405299.png