X box or PS3

minigolfer

Club Champion
Visit site
i dont know which is better a PS3 or an x box and i want to get either one for christmas so if anyody has any thoughts on which one is better i would really like an opinnion

Thanks

Timh27

Head Pro
Visit site
Depends what you want it for. if its just to play games offline then xbox. if you want to play games online and watch blue ray then playstation. xbox is cheaper but by the time u buy all the add ons and pay for playing games online it works out the same price as playstation anyway.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Depends what you want it for. if its just to play games offline then xbox. if you want to play games online and watch blue ray then playstation. xbox is cheaper but by the time u buy all the add ons and pay for playing games online it works out the same price as playstation anyway.

Spot on.
;)

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
XBox has a bigger online community the PS3 is a better machine simple as that.

Also depends what your mates have I would suggest.

Got an XBox myself simply due to 95% of my mates who game having one.Killing Americans only has so much entertainment value.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Vearing slightly to one side and shamelessly hijacking the thread -

The idea is to get a games console for all the family to use. I'm thinking Wii but should I think Xbox/PS3?
Bit of a technophobe so keep the answers simple!
Really only going to use it for games, not playing online or anything else.
Help?

Timh27

Head Pro
Visit site
the wii is good for familys especially if you have young kids. Plus if you buy the tiger woods game you can swing the control a bit like a real club.

But if you want really good graphics then i would go for a xbox or ps3 as the wii is a bit more of an arcade machine than a up to date games console

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

The idea is to get a games console for all the family to use. I'm thinking Wii but should I think Xbox/PS3?
Help?

We have all three consoles.
If I want to do some "serious" gaming (not that I do much nowadays) I will use the 360.
PS3 is mainly used for Blu-ray/DVD playback, it's more of a home cinema "hub" if you like.
Wii is strictly for fun, and if we want to have a laugh we will use it.
As mentioned above, the graphics on the Wii are not as good as either of the other two consoles, but that's not really what the Wii is all about. It's about gameplay and we have had more laughs playing the Wii than the other two put together. If you have young kids, they will prefer the way that they will "interact" with the game and won't care so much about the graphics properties.

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Depends what you want it for. if its just to play games offline then xbox. if you want to play games online and watch blue ray then playstation.

Uhh, what? Xbox live is soooo much better than playstation home. As a games console, I think the xbox is superior. Surely if you want a blu-ray player, you'd just buy one?

The playstation having a blu-ray player was a big deal at it's release when blu-ray players cost a bomb, but now, I don't really see it as much of an advantage x

Timh27

Head Pro
Visit site
I havent really used xbox live so i cant really pass comment on how good it is but i do hope you are right as ps home is free and xbox live is about £35 per year for gold membership.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The playstation having a blu-ray player was a big deal at it's release when blu-ray players cost a bomb, but now, I don't really see it as much of an advantage x

The PS3 as a blu-ray player still comes out ahead of a lot of the stand alones, in picture and audio quality, as well as load times. It's a great machine.
Bear in mind the regular software updates, with new features being added all the time, together with it's abilities to get you online, stream audio and video files to your living room etc.
Although I am purchasing a new surround sound system at the moment which comes with a blu-ray player built in, I won't be ditching the PS3. It's too good for that

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The PS3 as a blu-ray player still comes out ahead of a lot of the stand alones, in picture and audio quality, as well as load times. It's a great machine.
Bear in mind the regular software updates, with new features being added all the time, together with it's abilities to get you online, stream audio and video files to your living room etc.
Although I am purchasing a new surround sound system at the moment which comes with a blu-ray player built in, I won't be ditching the PS3. It's too good for that

I can't comment on how much better or worse a stand alone blu-ray player is than playstation. I kind of made the assumption, that if it plays Blu-Ray discs then the quality will come from that, not by having a superior blu-ray player..

And I'm sure the xbox can match most of the playstations online/streaming capabilities. I'm sure it's dead easy for both of them to sync up with your home PC and utilise it that way x

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have owned all 3 and ditched the PS3, not a fan of the exclusive games and hate the controller. Xbox 360 for me every time and offers at the moment mean that you can get an elite version with 3-4 top games for way less than a PS3.

As for the Wii, I love it when i have the family round but otherwise rarely use it.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Looking forward to F1 coming out on the 360. The on-line experience will be great, and it will be good to play against other people.
Supposed to be coming out Spring next year.

Timberbonce

Head Pro
Visit site

Help?

We have all three consoles.
If I want to do some "serious" gaming (not that I do much nowadays) I will use the 360.
PS3 is mainly used for Blu-ray/DVD playback, it's more of a home cinema "hub" if you like.
Wii is strictly for fun, and if we want to have a laugh we will use it.
As mentioned above, the graphics on the Wii are not as good as either of the other two consoles, but that's not really what the Wii is all about. It's about gameplay and we have had more laughs playing the Wii than the other two put together. If you have young kids, they will prefer the way that they will "interact" with the game and won't care so much about the graphics properties.

I was going to type exactly that. But if i had to choose just one personally i would choose the 360 because the online gaming side is much better and (even though its a con) it is worth the subscription.

The Wii is definitely the winner for a console for the family

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i'm in the same boat as you and am looking at either 360 or ps3 for next month, probably buy a bundle from hmv as they seem to offer more than most other places.

my brother's xbox 360 has just had the "red ring of death" for the 2nd time in 3 weeks and it's putting me off. Anyone know if there's anything similar in the way of problems for the PS3?

Will be good to get a game of online tiger woods with other forumers once i've got the console :)

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slugger ive had the xbox 360 for a few years now and the ring of death hasnt happened to mine(maybe im 1 of the lucky 1s) and some PS3s blu-ray players burn out after a while so its just pick your console and enjoy your gaming and hopefully nothing breaks.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've also had my 360 a couple of years and have suffered no problems with it whatsoever.
I'm on my 3rd PS3. My first one went pear shaped about a month after purchase, got in touch with Sony and they sent me out a new one 2 days later. That also went tits up about a month after that and another replacement was sent out. This has performed faultlessly since then. I've had it about 2 years I guess, maybe longer. It was one of the first 60gig models (or was that 80)???

dangermouse

Assistant Pro
Visit site
it boils down to a choice of a great machine that never breaks down and acts as a real home entertainment hub with music, video, blu-ray and gaming capability in the PS3 (great graphics too). Online play is terrible though, I still can't get on the new fifa online after a month of trying.

compared with a top games machine, half the price, with more good games in the xbox. trouble is, you will need a new one every three weeks. I went through 3 (in four months) before giving up and getting the PS3.

tough choice, but I don't really regret getting a PS3. It was an easier choice when a bluray player was about £300 on a standalone basis, but now they have come down in price, can understand the PS3 not being quite so tempting now.

Timh27

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a ps3 and the blueray lens burned out after 2 1/2 years. Saying that my mates 360 broke 3 times in that time and he had all sorts of problems with microsoft where he had to send it back to america to be repaired. Both machines can break and have there faults. From what i have seen the xbox is more prone to problems but with either it's really pick a console and take your chances.