Wrist Hinge When Chipping

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
For as long as I can remember, I have always had very little wrist action in my chipping stroke.

When greenside chipping, my stroke has always been akin to a putting stroke but using anything from a wedge down to a mid-iron depending on the amount of run I'm looking for.

Last night I had a bit of spare time so pottered out into the back garden with a wedge.

I worked on adding a little wrist hinge taking the club away. Not adding an excessive amount, just a little, and holding it through impact.

The difference in contact was phenomenal. Very crisp and powerful, where usually the ball comes off the face feeling like a putt.

Now. I did some reading last night, and thought I'd garner opinion of experts on here to add some clarity.

There appears, from what I've read, to be two schools of thought. Those who prefer little to no wrist action treating it like a putt, and those who prefer a slight hinging of the wrists.

From what I gather, neither are right or wrong, only more or less applicable to a person or situation.

Will there be differences in how the ball reacts when struck between the two methods? Fly higher/lower? Spin more/less?

Any thoughts, as always, appreciated guys :thup:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As you say there is no right or wrong.
However........
There are occasions when 'crisp and powerful' would not be ideal especially when a delicate touch is required .
The wrist hinge basically increases the length of the swing so is used as the length of shot increases eventually becoming a pitch when the ball spends more time in the air than on the ground (depending on ball position)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
As you say there is no right or wrong.
However........
There are occasions when 'crisp and powerful' would not be ideal especially when a delicate touch is required .
The wrist hinge basically increases the length of the swing so is used as the length of shot increases eventually becoming a pitch when the ball spends more time in the air than on the ground (depending on ball position)

I'm talking more greenside Bob where the ball spends most of the time rolling like a putt.

It just seemed strange to me that the contact improved by adding a variable (Hinge).

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just use whatever you feel comfortable with and gives you the best results

For sure Bob :thup:

I've not had chance to try it on the course yet, but I will be out for 9 holes after work tomorrow so will give both methods a good working over just to see which delivers better results.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It shows the method well.

I know you are a fan of same length to same length swings. I tend to agree to Phil that it leads to decelerating.

He states you can't flip or release the clubhead. Well we all know you can and loads do.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
How so Bob?

(Genuine interest)

I dont know where to start.
There's only one way to chip
Every good chipper uses Hinge and hold
If someone teaches firm wrists, they dont know what they're talking about.
Clock face is wrong (no-one teaches clock face for chipping)
Use a 60 for chipping
Having a shallow AOA is wrong

Just a few

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;vZWPee66M1s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZWPee66M1s[/video]

he may have a lot of hot air spouting out. there is also alot of great info.

the whole hours dvd is well worth a watch. you dont need to throw out everything you already use. implenting some of his stuff changed my short game overnight.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just to add a little clarity. This thread is relating to greenside chipping.

If using a clock face as an analogy with 6 o'clock being the ball position, The club head would not travel past 8 o'clock.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've finally admitted defeat with my chipping.....had lessons, read books, watched you tube videos.....I always end up duffing or blading at least 2 chips per round and it costs me dearly.
So I've bitten the bullet and bought a chipper and I don't care what anyone thinks! It's getting unveiled at Trump on Saturday, so I'm girding myself for the inevitable Mickey taking.
But if it lowers my scores, then I'll take it.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm going to ask to change the pairings so I can play with you Rick, might need to borrow it :eek:

ps...don't forget to update your signature :D

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I dont know where to start.
There's only one way to chip
Every good chipper uses Hinge and hold
If someone teaches firm wrists, they dont know what they're talking about.
Clock face is wrong (no-one teaches clock face for chipping)
Use a 60 for chipping
Having a shallow AOA is wrong

Just a few

I wonder what Steve stricker would make of all that Bob. 😀
I think he'd make Mickelson take a bit of humble pie

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to add a little clarity. This thread is relating to greenside chipping.

If using a clock face as an analogy with 6 o'clock being the ball position, The club head would not travel past 8 o'clock.

Could have started the thread myself as well pal.
I've adopted chipping similar to you. Very little wrist hinge.
I find that if I put wrist hinge in then I get a bit flippy which is never good.