Wrist cock - what a difference!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was up the range earlier and playing about with the swing and realised how flat my backswing was and also how much I was overswinging. Tried a little wrist cock and less backswing and wow, what a difference!

I was longer, straighter and even hitting my 3 iron solid (am retrialling the G10's lol)

My post is regarding to how much wrist cock and when to start it on the backswing as I did struggle with too much/little and so forth.

Just wish I had a few more days to practice before the Volvo pairs (soz Gaz the swing will be what it will be)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was up the range earlier and playing about with the swing and realised how flat my backswing was and also how much I was overswinging. Tried a little wrist cock and less backswing and wow, what a difference!

I was longer, straighter and even hitting my 3 iron solid (am retrialling the G10's lol)

My post is regarding to how much wrist cock and when to start it on the backswing as I did struggle with too much/little and so forth.

Just wish I had a few more days to practice before the Volvo pairs (soz Gaz the swing will be what it will be)

As opposed to... ;)

If you mean cocking your wrists to create lag, then I reckon 90° between left arm and club is a good number. Bob may say otherwise.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
As Region3 said, 90 degrees is a good wrist cock. As to when, I tend to start mine at about 12-18 inches on my backswing and it's fully cocked (90 degrees) by the time my left arm is parallel to the ground. This is for irons, I can be a little flatter for woods.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Lots of golfers dont have enough wrist hinge at the top of their backswing. But sneakily, they disguise it by bending the left arm (right handers) which gives the impression of a full backswing

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site

My problem too, overswing, bent left arm and too little wrist hinge

I think for the older golfers amongst us trying a full shoulder turn can result in bent left arms ar the body is less willing to turn

I have concentrated on a 3/4 swing with good hinge and accuracy is improved as is distance ( better contact )

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmmmm... occurs to me that in the amateur game, the variability of wrist cokcnig and uncocking will vastly over-compensate for any custom fitting etc that one has done. Not certani that it is needed, and one can be very accurate without doing such.

But hey, why question the habits of the majority ? :)

Seriously though, i try to not cock my wrists, and rely on shaft loading and then unloading through impact. Occurs to me that the shaft designers designed something that does its job really well, but nobody designed me to hit golf shots consistently, so it tend to let the better part of my team do most of the work. For me, it gives me great consistency, albeit at a little bit (but not much) of a distance loss. i also restrict my backswing, because overswinging also brings in inconsistency.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hmmmm... occurs to me that in the amateur game, the variability of wrist cokcnig and uncocking will vastly over-compensate for any custom fitting etc that one has done. Not certani that it is needed, and one can be very accurate without doing such.

But hey, why question the habits of the majority ? :)

Seriously though, i try to not cock my wrists, and rely on shaft loading and then unloading through impact. Occurs to me that the shaft designers designed something that does its job really well, but nobody designed me to hit golf shots consistently, so it tend to let the better part of my team do most of the work. For me, it gives me great consistency, albeit at a little bit (but not much) of a distance loss. i also restrict my backswing, because overswinging also brings in inconsistency.

If you imagine standing at address position, are you meaning cocking of the wrists to be moving the clubhead left/right, or lifting it towards the sky?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
right now, cocking/lag uncocking and using big ernies 'box' tip is paying huge dividends when I persuade myself to do it and not fall into the old flat over the top swing, I've hit shots recently that even impressed myself with the sound, feel, trajectory and distance.

Definitly buying a swingyde thinghy today, anyone who's bought cheaply got a link?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
towards the sky. working on hip turn and backswing for more power and better swing path

In my head I do it every time but my body seems to have a mind of its own :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Stupid question maybe, but is there really any difference between the cheap one and the proper one?

I'm all for saving money, but not at the expense of buying something that isn't quite as good.

Anyone used both?