Wouldn't it be nice!!

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have just been reading the 'Short Game Special' supplement with this months Golf Monthly, and I got to thinking how nice it would be if I had a green where I could lay 5 clubs down to form a ladder and chip to these from the edge. Even better if I could make a sort of box around the hole and practise chipping to that. Dave Pelz has an even better idea. I go to a fairway somewhere and drop 80 balls in groups of 10 at various distances from the green, and work out my points total.

The point I'm trying to make here is that with the best of intentions, these golfing gurus are giving us drills which are impossible to implement. The average club golfer has access to a practise putting green, and if he/she is lucky, also a practise bunker, and a green to chip onto. These facilities are shared, so we can't go laying clubs on the ground and sticking tee pegs in, and not expect complaints from othe users. We certainly can't comandeer a complete fairway and green. These sort of things can only be done if you hire Parque da Floresta for the day. Please GM, give us some drills which are practicable

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You've sort of got a point Dave but if you're a club member you can play at the end of the day and practise beside a green. I used to hit loads of practice bunker shots as the sun went down at my club... ah, those were the days. If you're not a member, admittedly it's harder but you can hit little practice chips to see where your ball pitches up a "ladder" in your back garden (obviously you wouldn't be able to see how the ball runs out - unless you have a very nice garden).

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Nice try golfdonkey but it just doesn't work. If I tried chipping to one of our greens at any time of the day, I would soon be told to stop. Of course you can chip in your garden. You can comandeer a hole if you happen to own a golf course, but there is a habit on all these instruction articles of placing clubs, tee-pegs, dustbin lids etc. on practise greens, and we just can't do it. It's not practicable.

Driverman

Hacker
Visit site
I think the instructional sections are brilliant in GM but I kind of have to agree with you on the practicality of some of them. I think the most ridiculous one I have ever seen was on a Dave Pelz program on the golf channel and it was also in GM a few months back; was to throw a bucket of water on a green and see which way the water goes to help you read the green. One would be lynched if you tried this on your course and to be honest, I don't carry many buckets of water around the golf course with me.