Would you stay loyal.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Been playing with a guy who has got back into golf. He loves it but his bats are getting on a bit. They are Mizunos. About 15 yr old and immaculate. He says he is gonna get fitted for some new clubs which I understand. He is nearly 70. But he said he has always had Mizunos and said he will stick with them. I don’t understand that. So would you and do you stay with one brand.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Loyality baffles me. If X (X being a good fitter of course) said yuperdooper irons were best fit for me then I would play them

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I go with whatever looks sexy at the time 😁. I might lean towards certain brands but I would not stick with one alone and not look at others.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Every set of irons I’ve ever bought have been from a different brand. I currently have a full bag of Titleist though.

DCB

Visit site
I've played Mizuno for the last 15 years, partly because I like the club's and partly because of a good fitter available locally. I had a brief for ray into a TM set one winter, but, quickly went back to what I really liked.

Before that, it was a variety of clubs over a good number of years. If Letters or Sayers still made proper clubs I may still have stucK with them, had some great sets from them way back in time ;)

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am a tad OCD and if I buy a set I want a full set (woods, irons and wedges of brand....) but I won't stay brand specific. When I was looking at getting fitted I took my old clubs along and tried numerous brands and it just happened Ping were best on the day. I only switched to my I series because they were half RRP second hand but unmarked/unused.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
In realty confidence is as much a factor as the actual clubs.

If you like the clubs, then chances are you'll play as well with them as you would with anything else.

Assuming he's not an 18 handicapper getting a set of blades.

D

Deleted member 1147

My last 3 sets have been titleist, but not from a loyalty standpoint, they just suited me at the time.
I’m now looking to get some new weapons and it is highly unlikely they will be titleist.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m not sure why people who are paying for the clubs can be “loyal” - I would suspect not one of us will go to a brand out of loyalty - the choice would always be what gives us the best performance in terms of numbers , feel and looks

I have had four sets of irons - one Nike , Two TM and now Mizuno

Drivers and Woods all been TM

Putters - Odessey , TM and now Scotty

Not once did I pick out of loyalty

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

If you like the clubs, then chances are you'll play as well with them as you would with anything else.

There must be some truth in this. I've been looking at clubs (as I do a lot of the time) and Ping are now my default starting brand. I think a lot of that comes from the confidence I've had from them. That doesn't mean if another make performed better I wouldn't switch but chances are I'd start with Ping and if their latest model did OK for me, it would be pitched against the others. If nothing stood out I'm happy to stick to my current I model

Tashyboy

Visit site

Oddly enough grant his old mizunos do look like blades and he said he played off 12. Just got back into golf after years out and after three cards his hcap is 26 but never looked like playing to that. First four hole in an 18 hold comp he had 3 points, last 14 holes he had another 30 and was the best I saw him play. You can see he has it, but I don't think he realises how much technology has come on the last 16 years.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm a bit of a Ping-boy. Current set is all Ping apart from the putter (Odyssey). Last set was 75% Ping. Set before that was about 66% Ping. It hasn't been a series of blind decisions to follow them; just when I came round to change I tried them first and liked them a lot.

Tbh for the next set (probably the version after the version after G400's) I'll try Pings first and buy them if I like them.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Oddly enough grant his old mizunos do look like blades and he said he played off 12. Just got back into golf after years out and after three cards his hcap is 26 but never looked like playing to that. First four hole in an 18 hold comp he had 3 points, last 14 holes he had another 30 and was the best I saw him play. You can see he has it, but I don't think he realises how much technology has come on the last 16 years.

What are they? I might be interested.
(Although he'll probably get more if he can trade them in for some new "tech" clubs)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whatever works for me at a price I'm happy to pay. Currently use a beaten up set of R9TP rather than the smarter RBZ Tour irons (same shafts) because I'm more consistent with them (everything is relative of course)

The only irons that ever disappointed me were a set of professionally fitted Mizuno T- zoids. Dead as a dodo, lifeless bats. But I don't hold that as representative!

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Always have been and always will be a Titleist Slave.

I am a little materialistic I have to admit and I’ve always liked Titleist as a business. I’ve been fitted 3/4 times using a range of clubs and it may be a confidence factor but I always seem to fair best with Titleist especially with their irons.

in terms of driver / woods there’s never a deal in it so i stick Titleist, there easy on my eye now and just seem to ‘look right’ for me.

earlier in my days I played a whole mix bag I probably had every major manufacturers club in my bag until I started getting fitted.

Tashyboy

Visit site
What are they? I might be interested.
(Although he'll probably get more if he can trade them in for some new "tech" clubs)

Not sure but they look like they have graphite shafts, just remembered he has his previous two sets of clubs. Cos I commented on how good a condition they are in.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m not sure why people who are paying for the clubs can be “loyal” -

I do agree, you can be loyal to a service provider but its hard to be loyal to a single purchase. The brand doesnt know who you are unless you have some kind of contract with them beyond their obligations for refund/replace.