Would you say anything?

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Maybe someone has to invent a pitchmark repairer with a really long handle. At our club, the seniors seem to be the worst offenders, whenever I play on Friday afternoons, after their weekly seniors comp, the greens look like the surface of the moon. When I meet them on the clubhouse terrace and complain about it, their excuse is usually that they can't bent down to repair them. Drives me nuts. The senior ladies seem to be slightly better, but the reason could simply be that they don't make pitchmarks. At least I never saw my mum make one, she usually rolls her ball onto the green or at least lands it at a flat angle with literally no spin at all.

But they manage to bend down to get their ball out of the hole...

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
But they manage to bend down to get their ball out of the hole...

nope, they don't
hqdefault.jpg

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
most clubs are fully aware of pitch mark problems. when ever we play we are repairing 5 or 6 per green each so you are not alone.

it always surprises me the amount of players you come across that don't even have a pitch mark fork, so if you don't have one then chances are you don't bother repairing them.

i suggest to my club our starter checked anyone going out if they had a PR and show it , if not they had to buy one. then at least there is a chance of it getting used.

I tried the same at our club - lasted less than a week because the starters experienced difficulties...

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's inevitable that you will always find pitch marks on the green and it's just from people being lazy or having no respect for others playing behind them. I've gone onto the green before and not been able to find my pitch mark, also I have probably forgot to repair one when I've popped out for a quick 9 after work so rushing round the course.

But in my defence I normally always keep my eyes open when walking up to my ball and try to repair 2 or 3 when I go onto every green. I do see some people taking it to the extreme and waking round the green looking for ones to repair, I can't knock them for doing it, but it does slow your game up when they should be looking at getting ready to putt.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Every course and club seem to struggle with this. Played a match recently and my opponent said 'that's what greenkeepers are for'!!!

G

guest100718

The lack of course care from members and visitors alike is staggering. Pitch marks, divots, bunker raking etc, these things only take a minute but so mnay of you seem not to be bothered but will be the first to compain about it.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is there a time frame for repairing - I think it's one of those myths along with never move your head? I repair regardless as it gives me a joy to repair them - think it's because it's a miracle I hit the green and it keeps the greens in good nick.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
At our place they've talked about having pitch mark captains. Whoever is first on the sheet for your group is responsible for reminding the other playing partners to repair their pitch marks on each green. It's gone no further than a discussion!

Would we have to greet them as "Hello Mr Pitch Mark Captain Sir" ?

Just askin for a friend :)

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Every course and club seem to struggle with this. Played a match recently and my opponent said 'that's what greenkeepers are for'!!!

He does have a point, Greenkeeers are paid to look after the greens, as their title suggests. But they also have to cut fairways, tee boxes, rough, waste areas in the trees, redistribute the sand around bunkers where people haven't been raking them properly, tidy up flower beds around the carpark, empty rubbish bins, pick up your crap that you drop on the course and leave there, move tee box markers, change hole positions, just to name a few of the jobs they carry out on a regular basis......lol

Maybe next time your mate comments on this you should remind him of how much the greenkeepers have to do around the course.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He does have a point, Greenkeeers are paid to look after the greens, as their title suggests. But they also have to cut fairways, tee boxes, rough, waste areas in the trees, redistribute the sand around bunkers where people haven't been raking them properly, tidy up flower beds around the carpark, empty rubbish bins, pick up your crap that you drop on the course and leave there, move tee box markers, change hole positions, just to name a few of the jobs they carry out on a regular basis......lol

Maybe next time your mate comments on this you should remind him of how much the greenkeepers have to do around the course.

I should point out that this guy definitely wasn't a mate!!!!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I was a kid I grew up playing Stoke Rochford near Grantham. They had a good system where they split the membership by first letter of surname and that assigned you to a green. Back then it was still quite an old school type of club where you had captains presentation night on the first Friday of every month where any winners of comps through the previous month would stand up and receive their prize from the Captain.

During this the head greenkeeper would announce which was the best kept green for that month and anyone that was assigned to that green that attended CAptains presentation night got a free pint. Unfortunately for me and my dad we where assigned to the 12th, anyone who hasn't played here it's a 140 yard par 3, so obviously it use to wrecked by all those short irons coming in. But it assigned a sense of ownership to members and it made them take time to make sure all the greens had pitch marks repaired. Back hten the greens were like carpet so the system obviously worked.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Saw some unrepaired marks at Hanckley yesterday so it is a problem everywhere. I just repair as many as I can. It's a problem, and again it's down to education and there are far too many stuck in the dark ages that refuse to accept the problem and solution is in their own hands

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I was a kid I grew up playing Stoke Rochford near Grantham. They had a good system where they split the membership by first letter of surname and that assigned you to a green. Back then it was still quite an old school type of club where you had captains presentation night on the first Friday of every month where any winners of comps through the previous month would stand up and receive their prize from the Captain.

During this the head greenkeeper would announce which was the best kept green for that month and anyone that was assigned to that green that attended CAptains presentation night got a free pint. Unfortunately for me and my dad we where assigned to the 12th, anyone who hasn't played here it's a 140 yard par 3, so obviously it use to wrecked by all those short irons coming in. But it assigned a sense of ownership to members and it made them take time to make sure all the greens had pitch marks repaired. Back hten the greens were like carpet so the system obviously worked.

Great idea, although you would have thought members would take pride in their course and repair as many or the ones that they made.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thing is a lot of people with PR don't use them properly. Most people I see try and lift up the hollow from the bottom rather then caving in from the edges.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thing is a lot of people with PR don't use them properly. Most people I see try and lift up the hollow from the bottom rather then caving in from the edges.

Very true. I know it's been done to death in publications and online and many clubs have something in locker rooms about how to do it properly so there shouldn't be any excuse to get it wrong but it happens