Would you say anything?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very true. I know it's been done to death in publications and online and many clubs have something in locker rooms about how to do it properly so there shouldn't be any excuse to get it wrong but it happens
My proudest contribution as Lady Captain...

Putting large diagrams on back on loo doors on "how to repair a pitch mark" since a lot of ladies seem to think they don't make them

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is there a time frame for repairing - I think it's one of those myths along with never move your head? I repair regardless as it gives me a joy to repair them - think it's because it's a miracle I hit the green and it keeps the greens in good nick.

I have seen on one or two courses over the years a notice quoting from the USGA saying a properly repaired mark recovers in days an unrepaired one some weeks!
I feel sure that is a correct assumption.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great idea. How much of a difference did it make on course?
Can't really tell as the number of ladies making pitch marks is dwarfed by the number made by men.
But at least it made them think?

I admit that I am a pitch mark obsessive, but get annoyed when I say to a FC, "I'll fix these 2 if you can do that one over there" and they wander off to get a repair fork from their bag, and this is on the 8th green. Shows that they haven't repaired any for the first 7 holes.

On the first tee I get the same stuff out of my bag:
Driving tees and ball in R pocket, ball marker and short tees in left.
Spare ball and fork in back pocket.
I've always got a repair fork to hand

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Played with a bloke at Penina yesterday who didn't repair a single one all the way round... I offered him a repairer after four holes he said "that's what green staff are for!"

Totally out of order, I'd report him and avoid playing with him in future. bet he would be the first to complain if he had an unrepaired pitchmark on the line of his putt

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played with a bloke at Penina yesterday who didn't repair a single one all the way round... I offered him a repairer after four holes he said "that's what green staff are for!"

Interesting reply!
Did he go in any bunkers?
Did he rake them?
As others have said above lots of us do repair or own and any pitch marks while on the greens, it will always be so and certainly at my club that is enough to keep the problem to the minimum.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A friend played Wentworth last week, the West course. He was asked not to repair pitch marks, and just leave them.

They have a team of 6 guys whose job is to go round and repair them properly, and not allow the members and guests to do it wrongly.

I guess if there is one on your line, you fix it, but if not, ignore it.