Would you say anything?

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Played Wells yesterday. Course was in fantastic shape considering the amount of rain we've had. I had a shocker and barely pitched in any green. And yet I was repairing three or four pitch marks per green.
Would you mention it to the club after your round? Not looking for praise. Just trying to help!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
most clubs are fully aware of pitch mark problems. when ever we play we are repairing 5 or 6 per green each so you are not alone.

it always surprises me the amount of players you come across that don't even have a pitch mark fork, so if you don't have one then chances are you don't bother repairing them.

i suggest to my club our starter checked anyone going out if they had a PR and show it , if not they had to buy one. then at least there is a chance of it getting used.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Anyone not repairing pitch marks is a selfish, lazy lizard. Fortunately my club has very few issues with it but we all know there are lots of these parasites out there, you know who you are. . Be seein ya.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd say something tbh. Although, it's not a problem we're faced with at our place. I must say, I do enjoy repairing pitch marks though! Something satisfying about it!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Maybe someone has to invent a pitchmark repairer with a really long handle. At our club, the seniors seem to be the worst offenders, whenever I play on Friday afternoons, after their weekly seniors comp, the greens look like the surface of the moon. When I meet them on the clubhouse terrace and complain about it, their excuse is usually that they can't bent down to repair them. Drives me nuts. The senior ladies seem to be slightly better, but the reason could simply be that they don't make pitchmarks. At least I never saw my mum make one, she usually rolls her ball onto the green or at least lands it at a flat angle with literally no spin at all.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maybe someone has to invent a pitchmark repairer with a really long handle. At our club, the seniors seem to be the worst offenders, whenever I play on Friday afternoons, after their weekly seniors comp, the greens look like the surface of the moon. When I meet them on the clubhouse terrace and complain about it, their excuse is usually that they can't bent down to repair them. Drives me nuts. The senior ladies seem to be slightly better, but the reason could simply be that they don't make pitchmarks. At least I never saw my mum make one, she usually rolls her ball onto the green or at least lands it at a flat angle with literally no spin at all.

As a very senior golfer I am surprised your seniors of either sex can hit the ball high and hard enough to actually leave pitch marks!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
As a very senior golfer I am surprised your seniors of either sex can hit the ball high and hard enough to actually leave pitch marks!

😂 But I have to agree with Capella, it is mainly the fossils I see at our place not repairing, but as Matty said, there's summat good about leaving the green looking better than when you arrived. playing Nottinghamshire in a couple of hours and I would feel embarrassed if someone saw me not repairing my marks. divots included.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Problem exists at almost every golf club. Some people are oblivious to it and don't know that they need to repair when they get to the green, but in most cases people are just inconsiderate and don't care.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I love that excuse.I presume the don't tee the ball up, mark their ball, lift the ball from the hole.........

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I love that excuse.I presume the don't tee the ball up, mark their ball, lift the ball from the hole.........

To be fair, some of them really don't do most of those things. They have a ball retriever on the back of their putter to get the ball from the hole and they only mark their balls if they absolutely have to. Normally they will just ask to be allowed to putt out first if their ball is in the way. The only time they bend down is to tee up the ball and some don't even do that and just drop it and hit it off the deck. So I guess they really do have trouble bending over. I was only half kidding about the pitchmark repairers with the long handle. I really think it could help some of them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's rare that I make any pitchmarks because I don't hit any greens. When I do it's such a rare occurrence that I try and repair and and just make it worse. :lol:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Played in our clubs scratch championship last weekend. It was amazing how many pitch marks needed repairing, esp when most of the field are cat 1s. You would think nice greens would benefit them the most.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
and then there is the can of worms about people who do try to repair them but don't do it correctly

Peanuts,popcorn toffee apples!
I feel a long thread coming on.
Just as an addendum, my playing partners often say , I don't leave a pitchmark , just a burn,because of my low ball flights!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am a senior and I do see some seniors not repairing PM but it's not just them it's all ages.
I heard a guy once playing a Pinnacle ball that his PM was so far away from his ball by the time it stopped he had trouble finding it.
I just laughed
Alot of people just pat them down with the putter that's not good.
But decent golfers pitch marks are usually not far from the ball there is no excuse really.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I rather liked the practice that I have seen adopted at another club (think it was @WilliamAlex's Bellshill)

The idea is that the first letter of your surname assigns you responsibility to looking for and repairing pitch marks on one or a few greens. This doesn't mean that you can leave your own for others to repair, or that you ignore a pitch mark when you see it - no matter what green. But it means that you, as an individual, have a feeling of ownership of the condition of the greens allocated to your surname.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If there was a problem with pitch marks on the green then I would mention it to the pro when returning as a comment, not a complaint. It is important that they are aware it is being noticed by visitors. I am sure they will give a weary nod at that point but I do think it is right to mention it.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I rather liked the practice that I have seen adopted at another club (think it was @WilliamAlex's Bellshill)

The idea is that the first letter of your surname assigns you responsibility to looking for and repairing pitch marks on one or a few greens. This doesn't mean that you can leave your own for others to repair, or that you ignore a pitch mark when you see it - no matter what green. But it means that you, as an individual, have a feeling of ownership of the condition of the greens allocated to your surname.

At our place they've talked about having pitch mark captains. Whoever is first on the sheet for your group is responsible for reminding the other playing partners to repair their pitch marks on each green. It's gone no further than a discussion!