Would you Rather?

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Number 2, although I would prefer the grandstand at 17, where I can watch the Road Hole drama and play on the 1st, while having a decent view of 18 through binoculars.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I stood alongside the 18th at St Andrews on a Friday during the Open once. I had a group of four or five young Americans behind me.

Option 2 all day long, although as the poster above says, I'd prefer the stand on 17.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Option 2 all day long. The 16th at TPC Scottsdale is an utterly forgettable nothing hole (I've played it) turned into a display of beer-fuelled corporate excess. I really don't like it one bit.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2 every time. I go to watch sport to see top performers and, hopefully, top performances rather than get hammered and be a pain.

For me spectating is about watching players of great skill and showing them respect rather than it all being about me and thinking I should be entertained like some petulant child.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
100% option 2 for me. For all the reasons already given. Besides - The Waste Management Phoenix Open or The Open at St Andrews - go figure...:)

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Would I rather be in shirt sleeves basking in the Arizona sunshine with a cold beer or wrapped up like an Eskimo blasted by wind and rain from the North Sea? Hmm...

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I wouldn't sit in a stand to watch golf, I've done it for short spells in the past and it's boring. Much rather walk round the course - I also don't associate sport with booze any more so if I had to choose it would be St Andrews.

As to the 16th at the Waste Management - I was thinking on Sunday that it would be a good venue for a Ryder Cup - the fact that it's not a great course doesn't matter much for that - Europe hasn't hosted a Ryder Cup on a great course since we started getting good in it - but 16 and 17 at Scottsdale with a boozed up mob (like Paris) would be tremendous TV viewing if the cup was on the line.

D

Deleted member 18588

2 for me.

The other one is really my idea of hell!

Surrounded by a bunch of juiced up Americans, many of whom have zero interest in or understanding of golf.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
2 for me.

The other one is really my idea of hell!

Surrounded by a bunch of juiced up Americans, many of whom have zero interest in or understanding of golf.
That's a bold assumption. If you don't like golf there are many cheaper alternatives of places to go and drink beer. ?

D

Deleted member 18588

That's a bold assumption. If you don't like golf there are many cheaper alternatives of places to go and drink beer. ?
Trust me (I have friends in Phoenix) many that are there attend purely for "the event" and have no interest in golf.

D

Deleted member 18588

The same in the hospitality at any golf tournament in this country or anywhere around the world I'd imagine.
But at the Open, for instance, in my experience those sort tend to stay in the tented village, or in the corporate hospitality area as there are few sites on the course selling alcohol.