Would you like to see 12 captain's picks?

Would you like to see 12 captain's picks?

• Yes

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • No

Votes: 31 77.5%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 3432

americans having 6 was no benefit or hindrance, they picked side the would have whether Stricker had 3,4 6 or 12 picks! why are people so focussed on the picks it was utterly irrelevant to the result.

if you want to look at any part of it it should be that almost all those on the edge of the team were forced to play at the BMW under pressure after a long season when I expect some would have benefitted from a rest instead (as garcia was given)

Some of them had too much rest at weekends during the season.....

Simple fact it was team in transition, question is how good is the next generation of players going to be?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some of them had too much rest at weekends during the season.....

Simple fact it was team in transition, question is how good is the next generation of players going to be?

not as good as the americans sadly, this is a young american team and plenty more coming out of the US college system to challenge for places, expect were in a for a very dry period in the RC

Swango1980

Visit site
You could do both though: first four qualifiers off the European list, the next 3/4 of whatever off the world rankings, the rest wildcards.

Although the European Tour "link-up" with the PGA will kill the tour off quicker than Ryder Cup qualification anyway...
It's sad that the Ryder Cup qualification process is done in such a way that it tries to prop up the European Tour, is it not?

If it is truly an even to test the PGA Tour versus the European Tour, then the players representing Europe should all be members of the European Tour. In fact, you could go further and say non-European players could represent them if they play on the European Tour. Likewise for the US Team, any nationality on the PGA Tour could play.

If it is US versus Europe (country versus continent), then the qualification process could simply be set up to pick the best players in the world, regardless of Tour they play in. They simply need to be European to represent Europe.

Imagine the quality of golfer in the European Tour gets much worse in relation to PGS Tour. Maybe the current selection criteria could end up you having to have a handful of players on the squad you are much more inferior to the rest of the side. Or at least much less experienced at playing in the biggest events.

That all said, I really do not think Europe would have had done much better regardless of what players were in that team. So I wouldn't be rushing out to drastically change the qualification process on the back of this weekend's result. Not sure I like the idea of 12 picks though. Partly because the Captain may tend to pick his "mates" in some cases, and overlook a much higher ranked player. Also, when there is a qualification process, you can see the players that are driven to make the team, desperately looking to do well to earn their spot. In doing so, they can be playing their way into form at the last minute to just make it. And the captain can use this as an example to show how badly certain players want to be part of it, which can help him out in his few picks.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember when we lost in 2016 - the exact same suggestions were made , change this and change that etc etc

Bjorn had 4 picks instead of the 3 Clarke had but beyond that not much difference- we stuff the US team in 2018

There is no need to make dramatic changes - the Europeans have a system that works and has shown to work.

2023 is going to be a different story for the US team - they won’t find it as easy to play in front of an away crowd.
So what you're saying is we changed it, and it worked perfectly?

D

Deleted member 15344

So what you're saying is we changed it, and it worked perfectly?

2010 , 2012 were both two picks and worked perfectly

2014 was 3 picks and worked perfectly

Do you see the point yet ?‍♂️

D

Deleted member 1147

I agree with Imurg; 4 from the World list, 4 from the ET list and 4 picks.
With points weighting to the later tournaments

D

Deleted member 15344

You tell me, you're the expert. (y)

Nothing was changed

It’s always down to the captain in regards how many picks he should but it’s never been the reason why we have lost the Ryder Cup

As i said you are reacting like a football fan with knee jerk changes

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing was changed

It’s always down to the captain in regards how many picks he should but it’s never been the reason why we have lost the Ryder Cup

As i said you are reacting like a football fan with knee jerk changes
Eh? You're just paraphrasing what I already said:
Having said no in my original post, if it was 12 picks the captain is quite likely to pick the 6 or 8 highest ranked players anyway you would think? So maybe it hardly makes a difference.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
No, I think there should be some qualification element. But I still don't know why the US get 6 picks and we only got 3. Who decides that?

PGA of America decides on the system for selecting Team USA.
European Tour Tournaments Committee decides on the system for selecting Team Europe.

US has the freedom to have more Captain's picks because they don't need to dangle the carrot of RC qualification points to entice players to take part in PGA Tour events - the cash does that job for them. ET doesn't have the same luxury.

babylonsinger

Visit site
No for me. Quite like there being a qualification process and think knee jerk reactions after one defeat (albeit an embarrassing one) would be too strong. I would like to see far more weighting given to performances closer to the event and also significant weighting given to any matchplay events on either tour as they are surely the best barometer of whether a player is suitable.

My other suggestion (probably far from realistic) would be for the European Tour to perhaps add in a few team events to the calendar that play formats such as Foursomes and Fourballs with the hope of attracting both possible European and even American players to play. Maybe offer incentives to host courses or countries for changing from a strokeplay event and could have some sort of group format to ensure a minimum number of rounds played.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s a fun debate, I think the only thing that really comes through the debate is not having players who were on form a very long time ago.

but it would be interesting to see who people think should have played, given what we now know, if Paddy had 6 rather than 3 picks?

let’s assume (because I can back work it out) that Wiesburger, Westwood and Fitzpatrick lost their automatic spots, who would be the 6 picks (and knowing that form is important)?

id still have gone for weiesburger and thought he played very well for zero points u fortunately.
Macintyre, Perez etc ? Miglozzi, Detry, Bland. Form, again is the same issue. Might have picked Rose but only one good late event.

We need to go to about 75 in the world rankings to find anyone else. so it sort of tells me that selection wasn’t they key.

im sure it’s discussed somewhere else, but even from day 1 I hardly saw any smiles, maybe to do with the crowd, but the Solheim team managed to win with no support

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Absolutely no way. I'd go further, all 12 should be qualifiers, and not mates rates like when Clarke picked Westwood, Harrington picking Poulter, or even Faldo not picking Monty (I appreciate Monty didn't qualify)

Maybe the points should be further skewed towards the current year to get a more in form team, but it's an honour to play, and players should know where they stand, the "winning" has become far too serious
I completely agree with this for both teams. PGA is easy as the OWGR appears to have a large bias toward the PGA tournaments but some form of what they have now for the European side would also work.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No strong views on it either way. But what I would say is that Europe and the Americans should both have to work off the same system whatever that may be

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just had a look and it seems the team would be exactly the same except rose for weisberger if you went on world rankings.

I'd love to see matt Wallace make the team next time out. He seems like he would have the heart for the fight.

sunshine

Visit site
No for me. Quite like there being a qualification process and think knee jerk reactions after one defeat (albeit an embarrassing one) would be too strong. I would like to see far more weighting given to performances closer to the event and also significant weighting given to any matchplay events on either tour as they are surely the best barometer of whether a player is suitable.

My other suggestion (probably far from realistic) would be for the European Tour to perhaps add in a few team events to the calendar that play formats such as Foursomes and Fourballs with the hope of attracting both possible European and even American players to play. Maybe offer incentives to host courses or countries for changing from a strokeplay event and could have some sort of group format to ensure a minimum number of rounds played.

The ET tried this with the Seve Trophy, which was GB&I v Continental Europe, but with limited success. Didn't seem to capture the public.