Would you like to see 12 captain's picks?

Would you like to see 12 captain's picks?

• Yes

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • No

Votes: 31 77.5%

• Total voters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Monty has always been a fan of this so the captain can get the best team possible, in their opinion. The Americans had six this year which was a benefit rather than a hindrance while we had three as opposed to four in 2018.

Reasons for and against very welcome... thanks

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Absolutely no way. I'd go further, all 12 should be qualifiers, and not mates rates like when Clarke picked Westwood, Harrington picking Poulter, or even Faldo not picking Monty (I appreciate Monty didn't qualify)

Maybe the points should be further skewed towards the current year to get a more in form team, but it's an honour to play, and players should know where they stand, the "winning" has become far too serious

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, I think there should be some qualification element. But I still don't know why the US get 6 picks and we only got 3. Who decides that? I think their system is a lot better, 6 qualifiers and 6 picks is perfect.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd echo the comments already made. If you haven't qualified as of right then why not? With picks there is too much potential for a captain to pick his mates. It is simple enough, play well and you qualify.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My only concern with 12 picks is, in a way, what happened this time around.
Although there were circumstances in which all 3 could missed out on qualification, Fitz, Lee and Hatton all went into this RC with decidedly patchy form having played well enough in the first part of the qualifying process to make the team.
Imagine, out of 12 qualifiers, 7 of them currently underperforming as their game has gone South..
There would be no point turning up.
This US team seemed to have no loss of form but in the past there's always been some on each side that don't perform.
That's where the picks come in. Pick the guys on form.
I guess you have to trust that the Captain ( and his VCs) pick appropriately
Poulter was, maybe, a sentimental pick but Sergio and Shane were showing good form in the run up.
I'd like to see 4 from the Euro points, 4 from the World points and 4 picks.

D

Deleted member 23270

Why shouldn't it be? 12 players on form rather than someone who won a big event 2 years ago and done nothing since.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
?‍♂️

The quickest way to ruin the European Tour

And in regards the US - 5 of the 6 picked were the next in line anyway

The European Tour has already flatlined. At best it's the equivalent of the Korn Ferry Tour with a few marquee tournaments every season.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, I think there should be some qualification element. But I still don't know why the US get 6 picks and we only got 3. Who decides that? I think their system is a lot better, 6 qualifiers and 6 picks is perfect.

I looked into it

USA gets 6 they have TOP 6 in world rankings then 6 picks

We are leading 4 players on the race to dubai , the leading five players on the World Points List then 3 picks

I believe those 4 on the race to dubai give people outside the PGA tour a chance

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I believe each team can set it's own selection criteria

D

Deleted member 18588

Why not?

After all the manager/coach picks the entire team in football, cricket and rugby.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not for me. As others have said, more emphasis on current year form would be good. I'd also think about qualifying based more on world ranking rather than this hybrid system of separate lists.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not for me. As others have said, more emphasis on current year form would be good. I'd also think about qualifying based more on world ranking rather than this hybrid system of separate lists.
Downside is WR is bias towards US events so it would encourage players to go over there and would kill off what little of the ET we have left.
It is supposed to be Europe Vs USA after all...

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Downside is WR is bias towards US events so it would encourage players to go over there and would kill off what little of the ET we have left.
You could do both though: first four qualifiers off the European list, the next 3/4 of whatever off the world rankings, the rest wildcards.

Although the European Tour "link-up" with the PGA will kill the tour off quicker than Ryder Cup qualification anyway...

D

Deleted member 18588

The "form" on which selection is currently based is determined by singles strokeplay over 72 holes.

Not necessarily a good indication of how a player may perform in 18 holes of fourball or foursomes matchplay.

As those two formats account for 16 of the 28 points that, for me, is a good reason for the Captain to have 12 picks.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having said no in my original post, if it was 12 picks the captain is quite likely to pick the 6 or 8 highest ranked players anyway you would think? So maybe it hardly makes a difference.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

If its the bit in bold, why can't it be done purely on WR?
Or are people considering the RC as a European Tour v PGA Tour event?

D

Deleted member 15344

I remember when we lost in 2016 - the exact same suggestions were made , change this and change that etc etc

Bjorn had 4 picks instead of the 3 Clarke had but beyond that not much difference- we stuff the US team in 2018

There is no need to make dramatic changes - the Europeans have a system that works and has shown to work.

2023 is going to be a different story for the US team - they won’t find it as easy to play in front of an away crowd.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
The Americans didn't go a long way from the next six on the rankings. I think I'm for it with a proviso that the top two or three on the Race to Dubai in the year of the matches. The two tours are so far apart these days and the Wentworth weighting of points was ridiculous - Wiesberger finished below Lowry and moved ahead of him

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Monty has always been a fan of this so the captain can get the best team possible, in their opinion. The Americans had six this year which was a benefit rather than a hindrance while we had three as opposed to four in 2018.

Reasons for and against very welcome... thanks

americans having 6 was no benefit or hindrance, they picked side the would have whether Stricker had 3,4 6 or 12 picks! why are people so focussed on the picks it was utterly irrelevant to the result.

if you want to look at any part of it it should be that almost all those on the edge of the team were forced to play at the BMW under pressure after a long season when I expect some would have benefitted from a rest instead (as garcia was given)