• Yes

Votes: 52 77.6%
  • No

Votes: 15 22.4%

• Total voters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Quick one for an online piece. Xander Schauffele on making the arm-lock switch - would you like to see the back of them? And why...

“I am for banning the arm-lock putters. But if everyone else is going to use it and I feel like they have a bigger advantage, I may as well do the same. It’s just better, it’s easier, it’s more consistent. The fact that it’s anchored to your arm, there isn’t a whole lot of — you can flinch in your hands but you can’t flinch your entire left arm..”

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If he thinks it will help him then fine.
But it is anchored so really can’t see why it wasn’t banned with the belly putter.
It’s just another form of technology that has infiltrated golf , perimeter weighting, movable weights, moi.etc.
If they are going to ban it then do it.
I have never seen an amateur with one so won’t make much difference.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Although it's not anchoring in the same way that the use of belly and broomhandle putters were, to my mind it's still a form of anchoring which doesn't appeal to me.
How you would enforce a ban on it I'm not sure.?
Maximum length of X inches discriminates against the taller player up to a point - if you allow 38" putters for the 6'8" player it becomes an armlock for the 5 footer..
Must be held by the grip that can only be X inches long...?
I think the armlock technique is ugly..not trying to have a go at Bryson but his style is the ugliest of them all
Not necessarily a reason to ban something but....

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I say ban. You can use any length of putter but can have a maximum of two points of contact. Adam Scott uses a really long putter without anchoring so its perfectly possible.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d ban having more than 2 points of contact with the club.
They should only allow the 2 hands to touch the club.
This ^^^
I get that technology has changed the equipment and made golf easier for everyone, but there should only be a maximum of two points of contact on the club.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really fancy trying one but not seen one in a shop and way too pricey for an experiment. So instead it's lot of carpet practice with a regular putter.

So not sure how to vote! Keep them until I've tried one!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really fancy trying one but not seen one in a shop and way too pricey for an experiment. So instead it's lot of carpet practice with a regular putter.

So not sure how to vote! Keep them until I've tried one!!
Just tie a garden cane or alignment stick on your shaft.
The only thing is the lie is a bit different but it gives you some idea.
It’s very weird at first.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
For me it’s a deffo yes. As I am led to believe the putter must be anchored to 2 points. Normally both hands. This is where it gets complicated. The rules allow the putter to be held against the forearm ( unless his forearm is in contact with his body).
Now correct me if I am wrong. But 2 hands and a forearm is three different parts of a body.
So if it is “ legal” to continue down this route. What is to stop any player trying a driver that is held in both hands and continues up his forearm another 12”. Because as XS says “it gives an advantage”.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just tie a garden cane or alignment stick on your shaft.
The only thing is the lie is a bit different but it gives you some idea.
It’s very weird at first.

I tried that with Bob's V Easy. It is very awkward indeed but would like a try with a Bettinardi or something similar.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd go with post 7. I've heard various complicated suggestions but this seems eminently sensible and would work. I'd ban them, obviously based on my other comments. Every other swing in golf is a free movement, the putter should be the same.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a difficult one to ban. Belly putters where easy, they just said you can't anchor the butt of the club into your body. NOt sure how you would stop the arm lock putter without having a grey area in there. Like some have already said, you can't restrict the length of a putter because of people of different sizes. I suppose the only way is to restrict the length of the grip.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No. But then I wouldn't have banned the other long putters either. If it's that great then everyone would have been using them, but they weren't.

I don't think the "two points of contact" thing works - I leave an inch at the top of my grip which sits against my left wrist. So am I anchoring? Where's the cut off?