• Yes

Votes: 52 77.6%
  • No

Votes: 15 22.4%

• Total voters

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
No. But then I wouldn't have banned the other long putters either. If it's that great then everyone would have been using them, but they weren't.

I don't think the "two points of contact" thing works - I leave an inch at the top of my grip which sits against my left wrist. So am I anchoring? Where's the cut off?
Limit the length of the grip
Make it that you're only allowed to touch the grip
That inch would then be illegal and you'd need to hold it differently or get a shorter grip.

To be honest, an inch of grip beyond your hands will make next to no difference to how stab,e your putting stroke is.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That inch would then be illegal and you'd need to hold it differently or get a shorter grip.

To be honest, an inch of grip beyond your hands will make next to no difference to how stab,e your putting stroke is.
You say that but I wouldn't do it if it didn't, lol.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
No. But then I wouldn't have banned the other long putters either. If it's that great then everyone would have been using them, but they weren't.

I don't think the "two points of contact" thing works - I leave an inch at the top of my grip which sits against my left wrist. So am I anchoring? Where's the cut off?

My point exactly, you can't say 2 points of contact. How do you define what is 2 points of contact? Some people hold it between their thumb and fingers in a claw grip, so there is 5 pooint of contact already. So if you say well that is part of the hand so it is still only 1, then you can argue that the hand is part of the arm so if you have it against your forearm and hand then that is still only 1 point. If someone can actually come up with a way to stop those putters then I would love to hear it. BUt I bet that what ever you come up with can be easily argued.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

By limiting the length of grip you are now hurting players that hold it in a more traditional way. Some players out there have a longer grip that is counter balanced in the end to help with their stroke.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seriously, is the arm lock putter really affecting the game? What percentage of tour players actually use it? If it was that amazing they would all be doing it. Tour players will do anything if it saves them a shot a round.
Bryson putts well with it - and as usual people want to put a stop to whatever Bryson is doing. Kuchar does it but he's hardly ripping up the greens with it. Zalatoris putts that way because apparently he was terrible at conventional putting, but again he's not quite ripping it up yet I don't think.

D

Deleted member 15344

I wouldn’t have banned anchoring belly or broom handle putter so I wouldn’t Bam arm locks

As with the belly putter if it was that much of an advantage they would all be doing it

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My point exactly, you can't say 2 points of contact. How do you define what is 2 points of contact? Some people hold it between their thumb and fingers in a claw grip, so there is 5 pooint of contact already. So if you say well that is part of the hand so it is still only 1, then you can argue that the hand is part of the arm so if you have it against your forearm and hand then that is still only 1 point. If someone can actually come up with a way to stop those putters then I would love to hear it. BUt I bet that what ever you come up with can be easily argued.
Putters can’t be longer than 2” past your wrist crease they use for static fitting.

D

Deleted member 16999

No, as said previously, if it makes such a difference everyone would be using one.

The media/ruling bodies seem to be constantly trying to restrict and limit the game in so many areas imo.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Putters can’t be longer than 2” past your wrist crease they use for static fitting.
How would that work though? If it can't be 2" beyond your wrist crease, what about people who grip down on short putts, I've seen some good golfers do that. So if it's 2" Past your wrist and grip down you are then in violation of the rules.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How would that work though? If it can't be 2" beyond your wrist crease, what about people who grip down on short putts, I've seen some good golfers do that. So if it's 2" Past your wrist and grip down you are then in violation of the rules.

But measured on your normal putts 2” is sufficient.
You can then hold it 1” from the hosel it makes no difference.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I have one that I got during one of the lockdowns, I can confirm its not a saviour to your problems. Your right hand still has a massive impact on face angle and despite what Xander says, you absolutely can flinch your left arm enough to miss a putt.

Ive never even used it on the course as even after 6 months of using it as a training aid, to help maintain left wrist angles, its proven no better. Infact for the first 3 months at least it was demonstrably worse.

I must admit i was firmly in the ban camp. But after using it its no real advantage, closest equivalent I can think of is it would be like banning hi-toe wedges.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would love to try one, but you don't see too many about, and I don't really want to shell out money for one on eBay on the off chance it works really.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When you consider the tech that's in putters these days I wouldn't consider a certain style of putting to be any more advantageous than another.

They have big grips, soft and hard inserts, stability shafts, counter balanced grips, weights you name it they are all assisting putting in one way or another.

The name of the game in putting is to read the green and roll the ball along the floor. I really don't care how someone achieves that. In fact I enjoy the variety and differnt methods that people come up with in terms of stance, grip and putting device lets call it. None seem to be answer as the whole tour would adopt it overnight if it was "that good".