Has the "feel" gone out of putting

DCB

Visit site
Surely the type of greens you are on dictates the need for feel ? If it's a parkland with lush receptive greens the ball isn't going to move much off line. If it's a baked links green with acres of undulations and the hole cut into a slope, then feel will be a major part of the putting game.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
No I don't think it has. Feel gives you distance. Feel, for me, is how hard you hit it. Lining up is mechanics and a process but to hit it a particular distance needs feel.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
No I don't think it has. Feel gives you distance. Feel, for me, is how hard you hit it. Lining up is mechanics and a process but to hit it a particular distance needs feel.

Whilst I completely agree I really don't like the word feel in this - it gives entirely the wrong concept.

I prefer judgement - it's all about the before you hit it, once you have hit it it's too late!

Understand the concept of having a feel for it, but the context gets people thinking it's about physically feeling the stroke (as posts suggest) when all that is is feedback on whether you got it right (mechnically)!

Puttingnjudgement can be art or science - the more you play the more you can leave your subconscious to deal with everything 😎

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think sound mechanics allows you to use a broad range of putters. However the term "feel" is so hard to quantify. If have three distinct styles of putter, a milled half moon Odyssey #9, a Ping Anser 2 blade and a large MOI Ping Sigma Wolverine. I can use each equally well/badly in equal measures. I'd like to stick with the Odyssey #9 but at the moment thats the one missing most short ones. However in terms of "feel" for me, it's streets ahead.