Would it be fair?

Would you wear Plus Fours & or Two's

• Yes, I would (or have done)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe for a bet (where did I leave those hickory shafted irons)

• No Never, not even if my name was Bobby Jones

• Total voters

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Would it be fair to say if the average golfer spent as much time practicing as he did worrying about his kit, he would be a much better golfer?
I've seen questions asked on here about every concievable thing to do with golf from
Which spikes, shoes, base layer, waterproofs, grips, shafts, kick points,
which irons, wedges, bounce, woods, putters
short game, long game,
which course, pros and so it goes on.
I know it's been crappy weather recently and if you cant play golf, at least we can talk about golf.
But what do you think people generally would rather spend his/her money and time on. Buying something shiny or just getting better at golf by practicing.
I know the draw of the shiny is strong, but is resistence really futile? :)

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think and its only I.M.O. that most players are always looking for that club thats going to produce a more consistent,reliable strike but really they are not going to get it unless.
1.Its costum fit and perfect for them
2.They put in the practice

I would say most players dont give a club enough time,they start hitting it badly and automatically think its the club thats the problem not the golfer.Practice and more practice is the key.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
pokerjoke has said it all really :eek:.

it goes with modern society - nothing is my fault therefore it must be the kit

ps.

I'm strongly right eye dominant, would trying to putt left handed (ie right eye leading with a leftie's putter) give better results? - or is this just an amplification of the OP)

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
The force is strong in me, I resist the lure of shiney new kit.

Apart from the new driver, fairway wood, utility, shoes, tee shirt, fleece and trolley.

I know that sounds like I've done it wrong, but getting round with just my irons and a putter is pretty difficult because of the number of long par 4s at the course I play. I am also taking lessons in an effort to improve my consistancy hoping I can start knocking it around in the 90s by the summer.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Or even as much time practicing as we do looking at this forum. :p

The lure of the shiny is indeed strong. That coupled with adverts and reviews in mags of the new kit. I'd like to see a set of clubs from 5 or 10 years ago done as a (fair) comparison to the latest kit. But I doubt if any mag would be so brave to upset the advertisers!

I occasionally play with some much older chaps (retired), Their kit is often donkeys years old, but they've owned it for years and play to a very acceptable standard. They know where and how far each club will go. They use any old ball that they find, and they're consistent. Isn't that what we're trying to achieve after all?

Perhaps this game is actually harder than it looks (and don't we know it!), and the 'quick fix' is to believe what the club makers etc tell us.

I've come to the conclusion that you only get out what you put in, and I don't mean wonga on new bats.

After my redundency last year, I spent ages on my chipping and pitching, and quel surprise, it's paid off. It didn't cost me anything except time, which is the magic ingredient that most of us don't have. Which is why we look to the kit I guess.

I will always advocate having lessons, and getting the basics right. If money is tight, have a couple of 'MOT's' a year. Just to make sure that everything is as it should be.

It's been commented on here that practice makes permanent. I don't disagree with that. But that's why an MOT is a good idea.

Not surprisingly, I've come down on the 'practice' rather than 'buy clubs' argument. But it's got to be the right kind of practice. Willy-nilly stuff and just trying to reach the end of the range is not practice. It needs to have some structure, some goal, some achievable target. Then the practice becomes more enjoyable and is worthwhile, then the results will show. (Sorry, sounding like a lecture!)

Though I would like some MP52s for my birthday this month. :D

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Is not part of the problem that the kit we buy is eminently unsuitable for our game? I would probably play better with a set of G15s, but if I had to play with them, I would just give up. Same for most shiny new stuff. I am always on the look out for something new, as I always buy something Tiger would struggle with, and then amazingly, can't play with it.

I do advocate practice though. I do practice my short game, and also my putting. The bit I don't practice enough is longer irons.

Problem is, with limited time, do I play, or practice. I am weak, playing wins out every time. Unless the course is closed.

Therefore, for the kit I have, and the practice I put in, I am the best golfer, off the lowest handicap, of any one else living in my house.

Unless the cat is keeping his h/cap quiet.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would agree with you here Bob. I only have to look at the low guys at my club by that I mean the plus and Scr players they do not change their equipment anywhere near as much as the average players.

And who do you see out practicing a lot yes the low guys. one of which still plays with a set of blades that are at least 10yrs old he's played for the county over 150 times probably with these clubs.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really enjoy an hour or so at the range after a cr4ppy day at work and I've definitely got kit thats better than I am! Having said that, like most of us, I do like a little treat every now and again heh heh! and the course beats the range every time!.....roll on light nights hey?

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I think people are always looking for the quick fix rather than put the time in and actually become better golfers they want their new club to do it for them

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi,
How much would it effect your custom fit if you go for lessons after wards would a small change in your swing mean your custom fit will be a waste of time.
Mike

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Maybe.

It depends how radical your change is really.

For irons:
It is difficult to change your swing speed by much, so in theory the shaft selected should be ok. Clearly loft, length and lie adjustments might change, but can easily be re-adjusted again. I wouldn't worry too much with the irons.

For drivers:
Yes. Once again, swing speed changes are difficult to implement, but shaft kick points and loft can be tricky with swing changes. From my experience, I was c/f for a 909D2 at Titleist, and because I hit with too much back spin, they gave me a 8.5 degree loft, and a high launch shaft. I have hit this for nearly a year, and it has been fine.
However, I am making fundamental swing changes, and this driver just doesn't cut it any more. I have now bought a cheap Nike 'off the rack' which I hit better with my new swing.

With my new swing, my irons are still fine (again c/f by Titleist), as is my hybrid, and also my 5w. Only the driver needed to be changed.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I will never buy anything unless I am totally convinced I need it...Yeah right, it's shiny,shiny,shiny oh and new and shiny plus I will practice more with it,I will,I will. ;) ;)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would it be fair to say if the average golfer spent as much time practicing as he did worrying about his kit, he would be a much better golfer?

Not i.m.o.

When I have time for practice, I go and practice, with any selection of sticks out of the shed.
I can't go and practice after dark/when the range is shut etc, so I come on here and discuss fairly immaterial stuff, for fun and education.

I do buy something every now and again, I'm not going to lie, but I'm not under any illusion it'll make me better.

My latest purchase/trial club (all to be revealed soon) might prove to be the first club that might actually offer something new to my game. The rest are just replacements when I get bored or fancy a change.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

If he was practicing 'swing between the gates' then NO, he'd still be fatting and thinning shots after 20 years.

People hate practice as it rarely yields results... now, where's the shiny stuff? :p

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think practicing of any kind from short game right up to hitting driver needs to be tempered and done constructively. If you are using a bad technique all you are doing is making that ingrained and bad habits on the range become bad habits on the course.

As one who was a magpie for shiny new stuff I was culpable for buying new gear convinced it would make a difference. With the exception of a new 3 wood my bag is pretty set for the forseeable future. However shoes are a different story.....

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I enjoy practising, but I enjoy playing more.

Last year I practised early season, but rarely set foot on the range after May (ish). After that I played more than practised and ingrained a lot of bad habits.

Now I'm enjoying practising again.

But I've bought a couple of woods which are helping my game. The problem is now I think I'd be better off with new irons as well.

But purely to maximise my swing potential, obviously.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
RGDave, have you bought a chipper?

Now THAT is an intelligent question.

As much as I'd love to reveal my long-standing attraction to said club, I'd be lying if I described myself as the proud owner of a chipper. :)

You'll have to wait.....

- - - -

PS, It gets a go less than 72 hours from now....can't wait :)

:D

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
As one who was a magpie for shiny new stuff I was culpable for buying new gear convinced it would make a difference. With the exception of a new 3 wood my bag is pretty set for the forseeable future. However shoes are a different story.....

Homer...The Imelda Marcos of the GM Forum :)