Would a Mickelson spec driver buy me yards?

B

birdieman

Big Phil M is bombing drives further than anyone at the moment. He's nearly 40 and doesn't look physically that fit.

I hear he is playing a driver with 7 degrees of loft but only a 55 gram shaft. That is the reason he can get so much clubhead speed.

I'm playing a driver of 10.5 deg loft with a 65 gram shaft. What would happen if I changed to Phil's specs? Could I get an extra 20 or 30 yards off the tee?

No lippy answers please, serious question. :rolleyes:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Phil probably hits his driver higher than you even though it's less than 7° (6.2° so I heard).

You have to be able to launch the ball high to get good distance with modern golfballs.

A 7° driver in my hands would carve a furrow! :(

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I had an 8.5 degree driver, that I still hit fairly high. I guess the shaft is the important bit to get the launch right. The idea of the low loft head was to impart less back spin. On my day, I could hit it pretty well, but it wasn't the most forgiving beast, and was soon consigned to golfbidder. Gone back to a 9.5 which is way more forgiving (and just as long).

My guess is you would get a few more yards (not 20 or 30 though), but it would be more wayward, and the bad ones wouldn't go very far at all. Unless you are a fine ball striker low loft drivers are best left to the pro's.

Bear in mind that air has less friction than grass, so air time is still important for length.

Phil M might not be fit, but his club head speed must be right up there.

B

birdieman

Interesting. I play a 10.5 as the soft inland courses I play don't offer much roll and aren't windy courses so I figure it's better for me to keep the ball in the air longer. More loft helps keep it straighter too. If I played seaside golf I'd be looking at 9 degrees probably.

I presume Phil plays x-flex which in a 55g shaft must feel strange to swing.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Big Phil's swing speed is around 120 so I guess you would need a speed in the region of that to see results. On a links you may get one to roll forever mind......

D

Deleted member 3432

Maybe you would gain a little distance but surely the straighter face club is going to be more difficult to find the short grass. It Phil's case his iron play gets him out of trouble when he hits it sideways. I know where you are coming from but at present I would gladly lose 20 yards if I could hit the fairway, driver and 3 woods off the tee are killing my game at the moment. Getting rather tired of chopping it out sideways. Longer doesn't always mean better!

IM01

Challenge Tour Pro
www.goswicklinksgc.co.uk
Probably not...He's swinging himself off his feet to get the distance,impressive when it comes off but I don't suppose you'll have the luxury of hundreds of folk up the fairway to spot your ball for the one that goes wrong.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd be amazed if it improved your distance on any consistent basis (or even possibly at all).

Your ball striking and swing would have to be absolutely bang on to reap any kind of benefit. A fraction out and you'd either be way off or lose huge distance or both. Phil Mickelson is all over the place with his so imagine how you'd fare!