World Super Six

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
The European Tour and PGA Australia have announced a new format for an event in 2017 - 'World Super 6'

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2016/tournamentid=2016014/news/newsid=308526.html

Key points:
First 54 holes as usual, with a 36 hole cut.
Top 24 progress to Sunday
Sunday - Matchplay over 6 holes
If tied after 6, then a purpose built 90 meter hole is the playoff hole. If tied after 1 playoff hole, then a NTP for 2nd playoff hole is used!

I'm not quite sure how a 24 man knockout works, but we will see!

Thoughts?

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A thumbs up for me. Wouldnt like to see it more than 2/3 times a season if successful. If the players buy into it (maybe offer a touch more money to that event...) could see it working well.

D

Deleted member 1147

Seems an interesting idea, which could spice things up a bit.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The final day will have some interest the first few times I expect, but removes the interest in the prev 3 days for me. for eg a player could be -15, five clear and first and gets the same as a guy who is level par and 24th.

Theyve not actually come up with a shorter format as they discuss, just killed the first 3 days to make the final day supposedly more exciting in a play offs type of format

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like any tournament that the European tour now puts its name to its gonna be all about who they can get to play. The format will still be largely meh if they cant attract big names.

D

Deleted member 15344

Applaud them for trying something different but will depend on the players they manage to attract which of course will be down to the amount of money they get

They have picked a time period where a number of players have a break before playing in the Middle East

But don't see how mixing matchplay and stroke play can work

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I think they should have launched it with a major sponsor on board who had paid 4+ top golfers an appearance fee to help promote it.

As for the format, I'd have gone for an Invitational. 64 players in a round robin group stage of 6/9 hole matchplay on thurs and Friday, then 6 hole knockouts over the weekend.

By having it as invitational you could then offer a small number of qualifying spots for young/local pros. The big names on appearance fee would bring enough of the others along to make it a decent field. It could the move locations each year.

Match and stroke in same event is tough to make a good format. Why bother watching the first 3 days?!