World Handicap System

wjemather

Visit site
That's the maths, that about the logic?

An 86 off the forward tees is better than an 86 of the medal tees? I don't get it :)
The lower the differential, the better the score. In other words, the 86 from the whites (SD=12.2) is better than the 86 from the yellows (SD=13.2).

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If I play in an away Open Singles Comp. with a max HI say 18 and my HI is say 19 but I am allowed to play will this affect the score I submit to my Home Club? I am in England and The Competition will be In Scotland

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I play in an away Open Singles Comp. with a max HI say 18 and my HI is say 19 but I am allowed to play will this affect the score I submit to my Home Club? I am in England and The Competition will be In Scotland

As Dick says. In general, your playing handicap (i.e. the number of strokes you get in a particular competition) has nothing to do with the re-calculation of your handicap index after the competition. It's entirely to do with sorting out who wins it.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have a new lad recently joined our Club who was a member at a Club in Dubai, not sure how long ago and wanted to submit 3 cards. He used to play off 8 and is keen to remain similar. He submitted 3 cards and whilst my knowledge is limited his 3 Gross scores were 89,79 and 88. No idea about nett double bogeys if relevant. Course Rating 69.7, slope 129. From my calculations the figures would be 16.0, 8.14 and 16.03. This would equate to 8.14 -2 =6.1 HI.

However if my calculation is correct I gained the impression he thought it would be the AVERAGE and said he would not submit the last card although he did it was for handicap purposes before he went out. Is he allowed to pick and chose re submission of cards and are my figures re calculation correct? If incorrect kindly explain where I have gone wrong and thank you for your help.

The 6.1:was arrived at by (79-69.7) x113/129 =8.14-2 = 6.1

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
We have a new lad recently joined our Club who was a member at a Club in Dubai, not sure how long ago and wanted to submit 3 cards. He used to play off 8 and is keen to remain similar. He submitted 3 cards and whilst my knowledge is limited his 3 Gross scores were 89,79 and 88. No idea about nett double bogeys if relevant. Course Rating 69.7, slope 129. From my calculations the figures would be 16.0, 8.14 and 16.03. This would equate to 8.14 -2 =6.1 HI.

However if my calculation is correct I gained the impression he thought it would be the AVERAGE and said he would not submit the last card although he did it was for handicap purposes before he went out. Is he allowed to pick and chose re submission of cards and are my figures re calculation correct? If incorrect kindly explain where I have gone wrong and thank you for your help.

Your calculation looks fine to me.

The player is not allowed to cherry pick what cards go in for submission....if he refuses to submit a card that he had decided would be "for handicap" so that his handicap remains high then effectively he is cheating. Unfortunately...the low score is now like the proverbial Elephant in the room....he knows about it, you know about it and he knows that you know about it. If he now submits another card and its similar to his other two scores (high 80's) is he going to say...no I don't like that one because its going to put me off a much higher handicap than I had in Dubai? So he then goes out and his 4th round is in the 70's and cleans up in a comp....how will you feel? Is he going to keep ignoring his third card until he gets one that gives him an index of 8?

Blokes swinging it if you ask me. Dob him in to the axeman handicap sec.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Your calculation looks fine to me.

The player is not allowed to cherry pick what cards go in for submission....if he refuses to submit a card that he had decided would be "for handicap" so that his handicap remains high then effectively he is cheating. Unfortunately...the low score is now like the proverbial Elephant in the room....he knows about it, you know about it and he knows that you know about it. If he now submits another card and its similar to his other two scores (high 80's) is he going to say...no I don't like that one because its going to put me off a much higher handicap than I had in Dubai? So he then goes out and his 4th round is in the 70's and cleans up in a comp....how will you feel? Is he going to keep ignoring his third card until he gets one that gives him an index of 8?

Blokes swinging it if you ask me. Dob him in to the axeman handicap sec.
Nick, many thanks for your swift response. I told him that he could NOT pick and chose. Actually he wants a low handicap and I gained the impression he thought mistakenly that by submitting scores of 19,18, and 8 over par he would receive an average around 15. He stressed 4 times last week he does not want to be classed as a bandit. Really appreciate your help

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nick, many thanks for your swift response. I told him that he could NOT pick and chose. Actually he wants a low handicap and I gained the impression he thought mistakenly that by submitting scores of 19,18, and 8 over par he would receive an average around 15. He stressed 4 times last week he does not want to be classed as a bandit. Really appreciate your help

Perhaps you could reassure him that, if he submits the 3 cards - as he should - his new HI of 6.1 is likely to increase quite quickly. That is on the proviso that he gets more scores onto his record that are not as good as the best of his first 3. The sooner he increases the number of scores on his record, the more realistic it becomes.

wjemather

Visit site
Based upon the fact that it was stated he'd submitted his 3 cards then refused to hand in one of them.
Scores for initial handicap do not need to be pre-registered and as such, there is nothing explicit in the rules to prevent cherry picking which cards to submit. Handicap committees just need to be wise to this and educate/adjust accordingly.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Based upon the fact that it was stated he'd submitted his 3 cards then refused to hand in one of them.

I had not read it through properly.

Do you know you can check the handicap record of any player at any club via EG?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

Ahh right....I misinterpreted the reasoning for him not putting in the third card....I offer him my virtual apologies for intimating that he was trying to manipulate the system in a way that was beneficial to him.

Perhaps I'd be better off not responding whilst walking round an uninspiring manor house museum on a family day out. :LOL:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
What do you base that upon? Rule and number please. (assuming no preregistration of intent).

Not withstanding the fact that the player had submitted three cards then decided he did not want one to count (for positive reasons as it turned out) I would say that...

1.3 (i) Player

A player is expected to:

Act with integrity by following the Rules of Handicapping.....etc etc

would be an applicable rule

To my mind this is equally relevant whether a player is wanting to ignore good scores, so he gets a higher handicap than is truly accurate, or if he wants to omit high scores because he wants to keep his handicap low.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Scores for initial handicap do not need to be pre-registered and as such, there is nothing explicit in the rules to prevent cherry picking which cards to submit. Handicap committees just need to be wise to this and educate/adjust accordingly.
As he's either playing in a comp and scoring, then by dint is expected to hand in the card at the end, or is using the general play function to record his card, then yes there are rules. Also, there will be specifics within his club on how he is expected to register and score a card for initial handicap.