World Handicap System

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I don't think it helps that there have been no scorecards to fill in since WHS was launched, so knowing your CH is largely an irrelevance in competition golf i.e. you don't need to know your CH to write it on your card as there are no cards and the app tells you your PH when you sign in and your new index after the comp rounds hit your handicap record. So all most folk know handicap wise in the new world is PH and Index.

You mention unrounded CH's on apps. Our club use V1 so I have HDID and the Scottish Golf app, but neither of these show unrounded CH's as far as I can see?
Indeed they don't, I had this argument with SG at the start of the season, how do you expect people to understand that you're using the exact CH, when even your glorious App uses the rounded one. There'd been a few comments back and forth before then, that was the last email on the subject, they've still not explained the logic.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You mention unrounded CH's on apps. Our club use V1 so I have HDID and the Scottish Golf app, but neither of these show unrounded CH's as far as I can see?
I have just 'signed in' for a casual round using HDID. It shows the rounded integer value for CH

wjemather

Visit site
FYI...here's an example of a Playing Handicap Board from a course close to me (in England)...
Because of the way Playing Handicaps are calculated in single ball team formats (i.e. 50% combined in foursomes, and the sum of unrounded individual allowances in greensomes & scrambles), half of these columns (60% and below) are unhelpful at best. And that's before even contemplating any mixed-tee allowances.

Swango1980

Visit site
What formats require the calculation of a playing handicap in the WHS which didn't in the CONGU system?
Singles stroke play. Singles match play. Basically, nearly every round of golf I ever played. The only time I needed to worry about percentages was when taking 90% the difference in fourball match play.

Swango1980

Visit site
You mean in the days when all had to use one of these

View attachment 38109
Never ever used one of these or needed one. Only times some odd % allowance was required was when a comp organiser at an open decided upon themselves to introduce that condition. Likely to protect against higher handicappers rather than a mandatory condition set by CONGU. And, if this condition was set, the organisers usually wrote your playing handicap on the card anyway.

wjemather

Visit site
Singles stroke play. Singles match play. Basically, nearly every round of golf I ever played. The only time I needed to worry about percentages was when taking 90% the difference in fourball match play.
It's only relatively recently (2008, I think) that singles match play went to full difference, and only a few years ago that four-ball match play went to 9/10.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
No it isn't, it's a course handicap board with the % adjustment you then need to make at the side. There's literally no playing handicaps shown there.
Not sure if I'm missing some item of pedantry somewhere, but if i want to play in, say, a singles strokeplay event, I'm pretty sure I can see my playing handicap on that chart ?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Not sure if I'm missing some item of pedantry somewhere, but if i want to play in, say, a singles strokeplay event, I'm pretty sure I can see my playing handicap on that chart ?
Yeah you're missing that we've been talking about their redundancy in Scotland, where exact decimal point CH's are used, therefore PH can't be shown, as someone said the sign would need to be the size of a green to accommodate it all. Swango keeps deliberatly ignoring what we're talking about and conflates us with Wales, Ireland & England

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never ever used one of these or needed one. Only times some odd % allowance was required was when a comp organiser at an open decided upon themselves to introduce that condition. Likely to protect against higher handicappers rather than a mandatory condition set by CONGU. And, if this condition was set, the organisers usually wrote your playing handicap on the card anyway.

7/8ths was a real brain stretcher (singles stableford)

Swango1980

Visit site
It's only relatively recently (2008, I think) that singles match play went to full difference, and only a few years ago that four-ball match play went to 9/10.
I was comparing it to immediately pre WHS, I have no doubt deeper into history things could have been more complex. I guess there were good reasons it became simpler over the years

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I am missing something... I have two adjacent scores this year of 86 in medals. One off yellow, one off whites. Yellow is CR 71 and slope 128. White is CR 71.9 and slope 131.

The score diff is 1.0 LESS of whites. (PCC both 0) Someone can explain the logic of that to me, if not the maths!!