World Handicap System (WHS)

Swango1980

Visit site
It seems to me that the old system gauged your potential ability (if it all came good on one day) whereas the new system gauges how average you are.... So now you can win by being just average and getting your 36 or 37 points. That seems wrong to me.
Not quite. If that was the case, your index would be based on the average of ALL 20 rounds. However, it excludes the worst 12.

D

Deleted member 15344

So your analysis of scores covers a greater number of rounds that the USGA managed to do?

How many scramble round scores are sent to the governing bodies for them to judge whats the best handicap percentages to use.

Swango1980

Visit site
But what I said still stands to a degree. I prefer the old system because of this, not that it matters now

When analysing everyone's Congu handicap versus WHS Course Handicap at my club, they were reasonably similar. Except the higher your CONGU handicap, you tended to get 2 or 3 shots extra if you were a 25+ handicapper, maybe 1 or 2 extra if you were lower. Single figure handicappers tended to have a course handicap and CONGU handicap that were very similar. I guess the 95% Playing Handicap brings these a bit more in line again.

However, I think your original statement is a little confusing. On one hand you day you can win by being "average" with 36 or do points. However, how can that be. Surely someone else will play better than "average", thus getting more points?

In 10 or so comps so far at my place, the winning score has been 40+ points, and in several cases above 45 points

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
just a quickie for you well versed guys: Our course Par 71 slope 133 Course 71.1 no change for PCC on Saturday.

The 2 winning scores in Cat 3 89-26 Nett 63 and 2nd 87-24 Nett 63. Imagine hve a 63 nett and coming 2nd and the winner was one of the last out.

Their HI have been reduced to 14.2 and 19.6 respectively. The player who came 2nd has been at the Club a while but unsure about the winner.

Anybody care to try and work out how the reductions have been calculated please?

Incidentally there is now a system in place before a player can win a Comp. They have to have 12 scores on WHS.

Swango1980

Visit site
just a quickie for you well versed guys: Our course Par 71 slope 133 Course 71.1 no change for PCC on Saturday.

The 2 winning scores in Cat 3 89-26 Nett 63 and 2nd 87-24 Nett 63. Imagine hve a 63 nett and coming 2nd and the winner was one of the last out.

Their HI have been reduced to 14.2 and 19.6 respectively. The player who came 2nd has been at the Club a while but unsure about the winner.

Anybody care to try and work out how the reductions have been calculated please?

Incidentally there is now a system in place before a player can win a Comp. They have to have 12 scores on WHS.
Impossible to explain definitively. Firstly, it depends on whether the players already had 20 scores on their record.

If not, the determination of Index is very dependent on the number of rounds they have played, and how many of their best scores are used.

If they had already played 20 rounds, it depends what score they were losing, not just the score that was added (which will clearly make their top 8).

With massive changes to Index, I suspect they had very few scores in their record, so Index can fluctuate highly from score to score. Either that, or handicap sec manually made adjustments, but it would take a brave handicap sec to go beyond the systems calcs, especially in these early days

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
How many scramble round scores are sent to the governing bodies for them to judge whats the best handicap percentages to use.
Probably more than you have access to ;). But I would suggest they have an algorithm which crunches par scores for every permutation of handicap combination.

D

Deleted member 15344

Probably more than you have access to ;). But I would suggest they have an algorithm which crunches par scores for every permutation of handicap combination.

How do the access clubs scramble scores when it never used to be a recognised format and scores were never submitted into the governing bodies ?

So they would use made up data as opposed to the actual scores being made by the players. Sounds about right

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suspect the score may be an error as there are two Alexander Watson's at the club and the guy with the 54 handicap is still showing as off 54.

So perhaps one Alexander Watson signed in as the other by mistake. Hard to believe a guy off 54 wouldn't have a net 37 as one of his best 8 scores!! ???

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
IV saw this on 2 different sites now guys becoming infamous

Have seen 2 explanations so far. One is 2 guys with the same name and lower guy signed in as the 54 guy. The other is he is currently playing for his handicap i.e. it's one of his 3 cards but to allow him to book into a comp on HDID, the handicap secretary gave him a 54 handicap.

Not sure if any of that is accurate but as you say, have seen it posted/discussed in a few places now.

Swango1980

Visit site
Have seen 2 explanations so far. One is 2 guys with the same name and lower guy signed in as the 54 guy. The other is he is currently playing for his handicap i.e. it's one of his 3 cards but to allow him to book into a comp on HDID, the handicap secretary gave him a 54 handicap.

Not sure if any of that is accurate but as you say, have seen it posted/discussed in a few places now.
haha, I think the handicap secretary may have a few tough questions to ask if he decided to give him a starting handicap of 54. If that is true, I don't think he will do that again.