World Handicap System (WHS)

kandrew

Visit site
It appears both the IOS and android apps have now been updated to allow you to enter your scores. What does this mean for the likes of howdidido where i have been entering my scores ?

Andrew

D

Deleted member 25172

It appears both the IOS and android apps have now been updated to allow you to enter your scores. What does this mean for the likes of howdidido where i have been entering my scores ?

Andrew

Yeah, seem a bit pre-mature though to go live with it as the choice of "markers" are the tee's at the club? I may very well be missing something obvious here though. It has happened on occasion before.

EG APP 1.JPG

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Andrew

Not sure what you mean by asking what are the implications for Howdidido? It just gives you another option.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi guys need some help please?

I am
Really confused regarding handicap adjustments on this new WHS system.

The start of the year was given an index score of 11.5 (13 handicap off our whites) I have played two rounds that were not great and my handicap has gone up a shot a time .

1st round 21 stable points 11.5- 12.1 index ( 14 handicap)

2nd around 29 points 12.1-12.8 handicap ( 15 handicap)
at the end of last season my official handicap was 13.1 before all this WHS stuff come about .

Questioned this with my pro and he says that until 20 cards are submitted it will not balance itself out !

That does not make sense and as you can imagine I have not played for 4 months or so and going to be awhile before I even get close to my original handicap, at this rate I could be playing in the 20’s :(

What are your thoughts on this please ?
Cheers Matt

Steve Wilkes

Visit site

I am

The start of the year was given an index score of 11.5 (13 handicap off our whites) I have played two rounds that were not great and my handicap has gone up a shot a time .

at the end of last season my official handicap was 13.1 before all this WHS stuff come about .

Questioned this with my pro and he says that until 20 cards are submitted it will not balance itself out !

That does not make sense and as you can imagine I have not played for 4 months or so and going to be awhile before I even get close to my original handicap, at this rate I could be playing in the 20’s :(

Cheers Matt
Was your official handicap of 13.1 based on 20 cards or more, if so you will hit the soft and hard cap before you get into the 20's

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I am

Cheers Matt

You need to have at least 15 scores on your handicap record to begin to have some sort of stability to you handicap

If you only have few expect your handicap to jump around all over the place.

It works like this (left hand margin is the number of scores on your record)
3 Lowest 1 -2.0
4 Lowest 1 -1.0
5 Lowest 1 0
6 Average of lowest 2 -1.0
7 or 8 Average of lowest 2
9 to 11 Average of lowest 3
12 to 14 Average of lowest 4
15 or 16 Average of lowest 5
17 or 18 Average of lowest 6
19 Average of lowest 7
20 Average of lowest 8

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was your official handicap of 13.1 based on 20 cards or more, if so you will hit the soft and hard cap before you get into the 20's

That was my handicap after season finished last October.
WHS comes in and gives us an index score of 11.5 which is 13 on our course.
could you please explain ( or share a link) to the soft and hard cap ?

Thanks for your help

Steve Wilkes

Visit site

Thanks for your help
It only comes into play once you have a Low Handicap Index, if you have not been given one (It should be on your Index record) then the soft cap and hard cap doesn't come into effect

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah, seem a bit pre-mature though to go live with it as the choice of "markers" are the tee's at the club? I may very well be missing something obvious here though. It has happened on occasion before.

View attachment 36137

Yeah...its the use of the term "marker" that is causing you an issue. In this instance "marker" is referring to the tee'ing area (white, yellow, red etc)....not the player you wish to mark your card. In the screenshot youve given you are in the process of choosing which set of tees you plan to play off. It's just an example of crap app design without anyone actually thinking it through before putting it into action.....why give something that we all know as a "teeing area" (or more commonly the tee) a new name that is already in regular use and means something totally different?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Thanks for your help

As per Steve Wilkes caps only come in when you have a Low Handicap Index and to get one you must have a full handicap record of 20 scores.

It would help if tell us how many scores you have on your record.

The reference is Rule 5 of The Rules of Handicapping which can be download but needs to be read with the Guidance on the Rules

https://www.congu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/WHSDocs/WHS-Rules-of-Handicapping.pdf
https://www.congu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/WHSDocs/Handicapping-Advice.pdf

There is also a short guide

https://www.congu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/CONGU-Player-Ref-Guide.pdf

D

Deleted member 25172

Yeah...its the use of the term "marker" that is causing you an issue. In this instance "marker" is referring to the tee'ing area (white, yellow, red etc)....not the player you wish to mark your card. In the screenshot youve given you are in the process of choosing which set of tees you plan to play off. It's just an example of crap app design without anyone actually thinking it through before putting it into action.....why give something that we all know as a "teeing area" (or more commonly the tee) a new name that is already in regular use and means something totally different?

That explains it. I figured that it was a bug where they had mixed the tee’s and the marker in their system.

I wonder what they call your marker then instead? :)

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Andrew

I think you might need to be careful here. Not certain but it might be that the EG app is more for casual rounds and if you use it instead on HDID for comps it won’t show up on V1.

HDID is also used for things like entering comps.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
We had a newish 28 handicap member win our April medal with a net 55.
How will this affect his H/C using WHS compared to the old system ?

It will (almost certainly) be 1 of his best 8 scores, presuming he has 20 in the book. What it does, depends entirely on what his next 7 are. My understanding of golfers is that while he will (almost certainly) get some form of cut, there will be a fairly vocal few who have decided the cut is wrong and he should have been cut to 8.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had the same happen. A new 24 H/capper wins with a Nett 57.... next time out is off 7....... CONGU would have been saying that you can't do anything based on 1 card.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Impossible to say without seeing his last 20 playing records. The effect could be very different the fewer scores he has.
The WHS doesn't have the same fixed reduction process as CONGU.