World Handicap System (WHS)

D

Deleted member 25172

Tested this today. If it’s a stableford comp and your entering gross scores you put in a 0 you now also put in your markers name from a drop down and at the end you electronically signed the screen.

Yeah, the electronic part I've always understood as the computer works it magic. It's just been the physical scorecard, and I've thought that if I put, say 38 points as total, if it actually was 37, I could've rendered a DQ.

I've learnt something new today!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well the email we had detailing all Indexes seems to have been incorrect as it gave me 6.0 and now on the club website it's 5.6. Same handicap off the reds though (7).

It's a bloody mess!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What do we put in the total score in a stableford with blobs? The stableford score? Can imagine a lot of people with a course handicap of 11 and above forget to take 95% to get their playing handicap, so they would then put in the wrong stableford points in the total score.
I was told by the club that when playing a singles comp I should play with my CH in mind - and let the club/system sort out my PH for the round and what I points I finally end up with. That way I avoid such as making any mistake in respect of the number of shots I get in a stableford scoring round and so pick up when I could still have scored. My PH will always be less than by CH so if I play with my CH in mind I can't lose out.

Chinny

Visit site
Playing Handicap depends on the competition format being played.

In singles handicap and stableford coms it will be 95%
Pairs handicap and stableford comps 85%
In Pairs match play 90%

various other %s in other formats.

Thought pairs match play was 95% :unsure::unsure:

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seriously - what a load of pish!

How is this nonsense making the game easier, more accessible and user friendly for the average golfer?

I could almost buy into having a 'handicap index' that you could take to other courses and get a new 'course handicap'. But this 'playing handicap' would appear to be an unnecessary added step in an already bloated and confusing system.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seriously - what a load of pish!

How is this nonsense making the game easier, more accessible and user friendly for the average golfer?

I could almost buy into having a 'handicap index' that you could take to other courses and get a new 'course handicap'. But this 'playing handicap' would appear to be an unnecessary added step in an already bloated and confusing system.

As has been discussed on several other threads handicap index to course handicap favours higher handicaps. Playing handicap is a means of applying a slight correction to this.

eg on an average course of with a slope of 125
a player with a H.I of 9 has a Course handicap of 10 (ie one shot more then their HI) and PH of 10
a player with a HI of 29 has A CH of 32 (ie 3 shots more than their HI) and a PH of 30

so each player only receives one extra shot to their H.I in a singles competition and the gap between them remains 20 shots.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, the electronic part I've always understood as the computer works it magic. It's just been the physical scorecard, and I've thought that if I put, say 38 points as total, if it actually was 37, I could've rendered a DQ.

I've learnt something new today!
You have never been required to enter stableford points. Only the gross strokes for the hole.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played today and couldn’t sign in to put a card in as neither my club, nor the one I played at, have got themselves sorted out yet.

Particularly frustrating as I had my best round of what’s been a pretty crap year on the course. Hoping that clubs and England Golf use the next 4 weeks to get lots of the niggles sorted again so that any future 71’s I shoot might actually count for something!

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As has been discussed on several other threads handicap index to course handicap favours higher handicaps. Playing handicap is a means of applying a slight correction to this.

eg on an average course of with a slope of 125
a player with a H.I of 9 has a Course handicap of 10 (ie one shot more then their HI) and PH of 10
a player with a HI of 29 has A CH of 32 (ie 3 shots more than their HI) and a PH of 30

so each player only receives one extra shot to their H.I in a singles competition and the gap between them remains 20 shots.

So the new system designed to give people a more realistic and helpful handicap when playing a harder away course, is in fact too helpful to those most in need, so they add a step to penalise them back down?? ?

This just gets better and better!

Was this thought up by an ex hmrc employee?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Seriously??

So i now have to explain to him that for an average Saturday medal he has a Handicap Index of 17.4, a Course Handicap of 19.7, and a Playing Handicap of 18.7.

You do realize i'm going to get sworn at and possibly something thrown at me!!

What clown thought this was a good idea?
Playing devil's advocate...
Previously did you need to explain his handicap was 17.4, and therefore his playing handicap was 17?
Or did he suss it out after a few weeks....

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Playing devil's advocate...
Previously did you need to explain his handicap was 17.4, and therefore his playing handicap was 17?
Or did he suss it out after a few weeks....

I think you're missing my point, the decimal points are irrelevant and not my issue.
The point I was making is that he now has several different numbers that can be deemed his handicap.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I think you're missing my point, the decimal points are irrelevant and not my issue.
The point I was making is that he now has several different numbers that can be deemed his handicap.
I don't think I was. I was making the point that pre WHS, he had an exact handicap and "calculated" a playing handicap from it.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
From England Golf:

This week we will begin the process of deleting all generic club email addresses (if assigned to your members' records) from the system.

I wonder who will be making the judgement call as to what is a generic email address designed to circumvent the system and one that might have been created by a club in order to help out a player (or players) who don't have an email address?

They really should concentrate on resolving all current issues before starting doing things that may create other problems for clubs.