World Handicap System (WHS)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
FFS.
We use IG. They have said they are waiting on England Golf / Dot Golf to ‘release‘ the indices.
As such, IG isn’t showing my index.
But My Account with England Golf is - and as far as I can see it is correct.
We use IG also - and club has said that we are waiting for IG to make our HIs available through the app. No big deal for me (not even really a small deal) as I know what my HI is through the England Golf WHS site. Besides - not going to be needing to use it for at least a month.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
their fingertips so it will become user friendly and second nature by next summer.

However, I'm struggling with the execution of slope rating. I had a look at a bunch of courses around me and they all had a SI of 128-130, so golfers are typically going to receive the same number of shots across the courses. But there is a huge gap in difficulty across these courses - some of them I would say 4-5 shots for a bogey golfer. Just feels like the CR and BR ratings haven't been done properly.
You seem to have missed the fact that the Course Rating is fundamental in determining the slope. The slope depends on the difference between the CR and the BR. A course with a CR of 74 can have the same slope as a course with a CR of 70.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Totally bizarre. My handicap was 37 (only joined and played 3 rounds this summer) and now on the WHS its 30.4
The treatment of < 20 scores is different.
"Those players who do not have the full 20 scores at transition will have a handicap index allocated by the same process as an initial handicap would be allocated and developed."

What are your 3 de-sloped Differentials?
ie [Gross Score (allowing for net double bogey)] - Course Rating] x [113/Slope]

Last edited:

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Totally bizarre. My handicap was 37 (only joined and played 3 rounds this summer) and now on the WHS its 30.4
Which bit is bizarre?
Your CONGU handicap of 37 ? Was this a fair reflection ? Do you know how the handicaps have been calculated?
I’m guessing that you had a round of roughly 33 over par (or course rating) to get an index of 30.4.
Or that you’ve only managed to get 3 rounds in?
Didn’t anyone at your club make you aware of the upcoming WHS, and the desirability of getting as many rounds in as possible in order for the system to calculate a handicap that reflects your current ability?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Which bit is bizarre?
Your CONGU handicap of 37 ? Was this a fair reflection ? Do you know how the handicaps have been calculated?
I’m guessing that you had a round of roughly 33 over par (or course rating) to get an index of 30.4.
Or that you’ve only managed to get 3 rounds in?
Didn’t anyone at your club make you aware of the upcoming WHS, and the desirability of getting as many rounds in as possible in order for the system to calculate a handicap that reflects your current ability?

This is quite a common occurrence.

In many cases new players have submitted their initial cards for handicap during the summer and been given a Congu handicap and then only played a small handful of rounds, one of which may have been better by some margin than any of the 3 cards for initial handicap. Unfortunately the WHS does not hold records of those 3 initial cards for handicap...all it knows about are the 3 subsequently submitted scores....and given that it only thinks there are 3 scores in the record it allocates a handicap that is basically based around the best score. With 6 scores (which is what the player really should have in his record if the WHS had done its job correctly) then it would be using the best two score differentials as part of its calculation.

Its a system that is inherently volatile when it doesn't have much data but stabilises over a period of time....a bit like a shock absorber.

For the WHS authorities to encourage players to submit scores to reduce the effect of this system volatility, but then omit three scores from new golfers records, seems somewhat stupid.

Chinny

Visit site
Sorry, thanks for the reply but I just can't make head nor tail of that description.

What does the bit at the end mean, adjusted?
Adjusted how?
Thanks

Hi

I've been following your question and would like to try and help....
I've got most of the data I need but before I can answer your question can you please answer the following questions......

1. What was the SSS for the course you played your qualifying rounds at prior to WHS going live?
2. Have you got an 8th score to add?

D

Deleted member 15344

Well here we are halfway through day 2 and the clubs ISV still aren’t able to connect to Dotgolf so people’s handicap still not being shown on IG or HDID etc - what a complete mess

Chinny

Visit site
Thanks
SSS all 72 so CSS only moved once
No 8th score yet.

I've been happy with the actual calculation for some time, but how CSS on the old system relates to CR on the new still isn't clear.

Basically the CSS is the new PCC
So on the 3rd round where the CSS went up 1 to 73 the calculation is as follows
(Adjusted Gross - Course Rating) minus (CSS-SSS) x (Slope/113)
(70-71.5) minus (73-72) x (128/113)
(-1.5) minus (1) x (128/113)
-2.5 x 128/113 = -2.8

Basically, if the CSS was +3 you would add this to your Course Rating ie 71.5 would become 74.5

If the CSS was -1 the Course Rating used to calculate your score differential for that round would be (71.5 - 1) = 70.5

Sorry if I've confused you even more but only trying to help (y)

Chinny

Visit site
Well here we are halfway through day 2 and the clubs ISV still aren’t able to connect to Dotgolf so people’s handicap still not being shown on IG or HDID etc - what a complete mess

I've been able to see my new Handicap Index on ig for about an hour now so hopefully you'll see yours soon :):)

D

Deleted member 15344

I've been able to see my new Handicap Index on ig for about an hour now so hopefully you'll see yours soon :):)
And as if by magic it’s now on there now

But i understand that Dotgolf are not allowing the handicap records to be released onto other platforms

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I still don't really understand why my playing handicap has gone up. All of my cards were off the blocks at my club, and to go up a whole shot would probably have taken a year. As it is, I have gone up a shot in a day.
If I could previously play to 11, which was bad enough, why do I now play to 12, when nothing has really changed.
And yes, I know the calculation, it just seems daft. Ot would make more sense to me if your playing h/cap at home was the same as your index, and it just changed when you played off diffrrent tees, or went away.

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im sure the answer is in here somewhere, but cant be arsed looking through all the posts.

My dad has a new handicap index of 17.4

Our course has a slope rating of 128.

So his new playing/course handicap when out with his mates is (17.4 x 128) / 113 = 19.7

Is this correct?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, thanks for the reply but I just can't make head nor tail of that description.

What does the bit at the end mean, adjusted?
Adjusted how?
Thanks

As part of the conversion, a PCC value is calculated by taking CSS-SSS and subtracting that from the de-sloped differential.

So where CSS equals SSS there will be no PCC adjustment to the differential. If CSS is higher than SSS, the gross differential will be reduced by the difference e.g. CSS 71, SSS 70, gross differential is reduced by 1. If CSS is lower, the differential increases by the difference btw CSS and SSS.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im sure the answer is in here somewhere, but cant be arsed looking through all the posts.

So his new playing/course handicap when out with his mates is (17.4 x 128) / 113 = 19.7

Is this correct?

Not necessarily, depends on the format being played. And the slope rating to be used depends on the tees being played. The slope may be different off the normal tees vs the competition tees.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Remember it your HI and not your course Handicap so if your courses slope is greater than 113 your CH will be higher

Not bizarre really they take the best score and deduct two shots from that.
Until you get about 12 scores on your record expect your H.I. to jump around all over the place.
It works like this as you add each score
5.2 Calculation of a Handicap Index
5.2a For Fewer Than 20 Scores
A Handicap Index is calculated from the lowest Score Differentials in the scoring
record. If a scoring record contains fewer than 20 Score Differentials, the table
below is used to determine the number of Score Differentials to be included in the
calculation and any adjustment that may apply. Round the result of the calculation
to the nearest tenth.
Number of Score Differentials in scoring record

Score Differential(s) to be used in calculation of Handicap Index
Adjustment
3 Lowest 1 -2.0
4 Lowest 1 -1.0
5 Lowest 1 0
6 Average of lowest 2 -1.0
7 or 8 Average of lowest 2 0
9 to 11 Average of lowest 3 0
12 to 14 Average of lowest 4 0
15 or 16 Average of lowest 5 0
17 or 18 Average of lowest 6 0
19 Average of lowest 7 0
20 Average of lowest 8 0

Sorry table does not cut and paste properly

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I still don't really understand why my playing handicap has gone up. All of my cards were off the blocks at my club, and to go up a whole shot would probably have taken a year. As it is, I have gone up a shot in a day.
If I could previously play to 11, which was bad enough, why do I now play to 12, when nothing has really changed.
And yes, I know the calculation, it just seems daft. Ot would make more sense to me if your playing h/cap at home was the same as your index, and it just changed when you played off diffrrent tees, or went away.

Someone from England Golf with binoculars watched your swing?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Is this correct?

Partly right. If the course and the tee he is playing on has that slope rating you have calculated his Course Handicap not his Playing Handicap.

Whether or not he and his mates using playing handicap is up to them but it will be used in competitions.