World Handicap System (WHS)

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
As we are mostly all aware the new WHS is on its way, and after not having heard about it since last year from our club we got an email today from our Director of Golf explaining how we will implement it.

We're adopting the slope and new handicap classification from October and as a precursor to that the recommendation is we get as many qualifying / supplementary cards entered onto our system before the inception. For those unaware the new WHS handicaps will be calculated from an average of the best 8 cards from your preceding 20 in both supplementary and competition (Q) play. Therefore the more cards you have in your club's records prior to the new system then the more accurate your new handicap will be.

Also the rumour that I have heard a lot i.e. a card to be submitted every time you go out is incorrect. There is no requirement to do this see excerpt below and a link to a video that explains the new system in full.

It appears we have not had our official slope classification yet but our County body will do it next month in readiness for October.

Apologies if all this has previously been posted but I was unable to find it.

There's a change a-comin' :eek:

"There has been talk among members that you will have to 'put a card in every time you play'. You do not, but you can if you so desire as there will be a daily Competition Scratch Score (CSS) calculation each day (much like we have with each competition). This score will more likely change every day to include adverse weather conditions in the calculation too. Category 1 Golfers will also be able to enter cards daily, from the introduction date if they so wish."

https://www.randa.org/WorldHandicapSystem

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We're adopting the slope and new handicap classification from October and as a precursor to that the recommendation is we get as many qualifying / supplementary cards entered onto our system before the inception.
Not quite. Scores submitted before 2 November will still be processed by the CONGU system as now. However, during the few (unspecified) months before implementation, scores will also be sent to the WHS software which will run a parallel process showing what your handicap would be under WHS. That figure will be used from 2 Nov together with slope and processed for real overnight. Your current ISV software will continue to manage competition results.

It appears we have not had our official slope classification yet but our County body will do it next month in readiness for October.
Very unlikely. Rating is only permitted in the summer season (ie nominally normal playing conditions)
......as there will be a daily Competition Scratch Score (CSS) calculation each day (much like we have with each competition). This score will more likely change every day to include adverse weather conditions in the calculation too.
Again, not quite. There will be a Playing Conditions Calculation (PCC) which compares all scores returned (not necessarily played) on the day. The algorithm is quite different to CSS in that it is a statistical calculation involving inter alia standard deviations. It determines the expected scores of that days players and compares them with the actual scores achieved. The effect is only similar to CSS in that course conditions, weather conditions and course set-up may have an effect. There has to be a minimum of 8 scores for it to kick in.

Last edited:

Diamond

Visit site
I am joining a club this weekend for the first time. Reading the current rules I need 3 cards to be signed by a full member to get my handicap. Will this new WHS system change all that?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
When WHS kicks in, will they take my last 20 submitted cards, some of which may be from before November, or only those since November for h/cap purposes?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am joining a club this weekend for the first time. Reading the current rules I need 3 cards to be signed by a full member to get my handicap. Will this new WHS system change all that?
No, in the sense that the current system will still be I place as set out above.
Yes in that if you haven't a handicap allocated by the start date it will be the new allocation process adoptednunder the new sysyem - but for all intents and purposes that will look and feel like the existing one to the player!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
When WHS kicks in, will they take my last 20 submitted cards, some of which may be from before November, or only those since November for h/cap purposes?
From the earlier thread, the reason for the push for more current cards is that they are putting a cut off on how far back they are going in a player handicap record. I believe that is the beginning of 2018 but Rulefan, who's the only person who seems to know that bit, can confirm

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ok, as I put in 12 cards in 2019, and 15 in 2018. I doubt I will put more than that in this year either, and many people will be less than this.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The last I heard officially was that the were going back two years. It has now been suggested they may go back more than two years.
The latter could be true as there is more than two years data in the CDH.

If you haven't got 20 scores in during that period your new handicap will be allocated as if you were qualifying for an initial allocation. By taking each score in turn from the oldest and going through the new WHS process.

Diamond

Visit site
No, in the sense that the current system will still be I place as set out above.
Yes in that if you haven't a handicap allocated by the start date it will be the new allocation process adoptednunder the new sysyem - but for all intents and purposes that will look and feel like the existing one to the player!
Thanks, seems to be a good time to take the sport up.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm off to a WHS meeting this afternoon run by my local county union....should be interesting...will ask about the cut off date.

IanMcC

Visit site
Yesterday I sent out an initial heads up of the changes that are coming under WHS, mainly because i have been approached 4 or 5 times by separate parties asking what is happening. Here is the text. I hope there are not too many corrections required once the real experts cast eyes on it :):

What is WHS and why is it important to me?

Recently I have been asked a few questions regarding the World Handicap System (WHS), which comes into effect in the UK in November this year. It is a little early to send out a full explanation, as the governing bodies in the UK have still to finalise some details, but this letter spells out the basic principles, and at the end there are a couple of hyperlinks for further investigation.

Currently there are six handicapping governing bodies worldwide. The UK is affiliated to CONGU (Council of National Golf Unions). After WHS is introduced worldwide then every golfer in the world will be under the same governing body, with the same rules and guidelines. The introduction date in the UK is 2/11/20, the first Monday in November.

What are the main changes under WHS?

• WHS will use the USGA course and slope rating system – your handicap will change depending on the difficulty of the course and the competition conditions.
  • For all regular club golfers the playing history of the past 20 rounds will be used for the initial handicap index calculation.
  • Handicap indexes will be calculated using the best eight of the last 20 scores. The 0.1 increase will disappear
  • Both competitive and Supplementary Scores will be able to count for handicap.
  • Competition Standard Scratch (CSS) will be replaced by a new system known as the Playing Conditions Calculation (PCC) which will adjust all scores for handicap purposes depending on the scores posted that day. This will happen overnight so it’s important to enter your scores electronically after you complete your round.
How can I have a different handicap on different courses? Surely my handicap is my handicap!

Presently golfers have a handicap, which is a constant regardless of where they play, and it goes up or down after each competitive round accordingly, dependant on which Category they play in. This will completely change in November. Each golfer will have a ‘handicap index’, which is worked out as an average of your best 8 scores from your previous 20 rounds played. This handicap index is then taken to the course. Each course now has a ‘Slope Rating’. Further explanation of this rating and how it is reached can be found in the hyperlinks below, but it is sufficient to realise that each measured course, for Gents and Ladies, will have its own slope rating. Your handicap index is inserted into a simple formula with the Slope Rating to obtain your ‘Course Handicap’. Rhuddlan was rated in 2017, and again there is a hyperlink at the bottom of the page taking you to the ratings. In reality, there will be a matrix in the pro shop which you can read off your Course Handicap on, as long as you know your Handicap Index for that day.

Will there be a roll out explaining the changes at Rhuddlan Golf Club?

The Golf Union of Wales are currently planning seminars for Match & Handicap Committee members to explain the changes. These are beginning in March. Once I have attended one of these seminars then I will communicate again with the members via email, and host a roll out in the clubhouse for any people with a further interest.

Will I see any changes before November at Rhuddlan?

It is imperative that all scores are entered electronically under WHS, as the new handicap indexes for players will be calculated overnight by the software, and not as present when the competition is closed out by the M&H Secretary. We have a very poor returns rate on the computer compared to other clubs. Many people submit their card by putting it in the box, and walk away from the computer. This will be unacceptable under WHS, as your handicap index will be incorrect the next day and the PCC will be affected also, which affects the whole field’s adjustments. Once qualifying competitions resume in the Spring, it is our intention to impose a Code of Conduct penalty for players not entering their scores on the computer, and not returning their card into the box. (Unless of course there is evidence that the hardware was faulty, which can happen on occasion.) For the first 2 offences a warning will be sent. For any further offences a 4-competition ban will be imposed (2 Wednesdays and 2 Sundays). I will be saddened and surprised if any bans have to be imposed. This should get us all in the mindset of entering our scores electronically before November.

How can I find out more information?

The Golf Union of Wales website has some short instructional videos further explaining aspects of the WHS: https://www.walesgolf.org/world-handicap-system/

Rhuddlan’s Ratings can be seen here, at the National Course Rating Database: https://ncrdb.usga.org/courseTeeInfo.aspx?CourseID=17348

There is a good website at Mapperley Golf Club, explaining in more detail the changes: https://www.mapperleygolfclub.org/world-handicap-system-2020/

WHS has its own website, providing info and links: https://www.whs.com/

Finally, please do not hesitate to stop me if you have any questions about WHS. I have deliberately made this initial letter somewhat vague, as the fine details are still under discussion, but I will answer any questions to the best of my ability. I can also be emailed at *********. I promise to get back to you with any answers or pointers I can provide.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm off to a WHS meeting this afternoon run by my local county union....should be interesting...will ask about the cut off date.
A question that will stymie them is:

CONGU will calculate the Course Handicap as
CH = Handicap Index x (Slope Rating / 113)
Whilst the rest of the world (Europe, US, Canada, Australia, South Africa ...) will use
CH = Handicap Index x (Slope Rating / 113) + (Course Rating - Par)
Why ?

I haven't been able to get a comprehensible answer yet.

IanMcC

Visit site

One thing that I am still not 100% sure on. If it is a singles comp, does the solution to the above formula have to be multiplied by 0.95? This would mean anyone 20 handicap or over would have a different Course Handicap. maybe I picked something up incorrectly.

OLgolfer

Visit site

Whilst the rest of the world (Europe, US, Canada, Australia, South Africa ...) will use
Why ?

This is crazy and really doesn't make sense why congu would do something different. In an effort to create a uniform system, this breaks against that.

Working out the course handicap for the 3 mens tees at my place makes a massive difference depending which method is used! Back tees I get 12 shots with congu method, and 15 with the rest of the world. The forward tees I get 11 shots with congu and 9 with the rest of the world.

Springveldt

Visit site

Why ?

Found this on the interwebs, don't know if it's changed since it was posted. Surely if the rest of the world are using (course rating - par) we should be doing the same? That's a massive difference, I know for my course that's 1.1 extra.

p10_slope.JPG

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

One thing that I am still not 100% sure on. If it is a singles comp, does the solution to the above formula have to be multiplied by 0.95? This would mean anyone 20 handicap or over would have a different Course Handicap. maybe I picked something up incorrectly.
The formula above only gives the Course Handicap. To get the Playing Handicap you have to adjust for the Handicap Allowance.
eg 95% for individual medal or stableford
100% for individual match
85% for 4ball stroke/stableford
95% for 4ball match

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Found this on the interwebs, don't know if it's changed since it was posted. Surely if the rest of the world are using (course rating - par) we should be doing the same? That's a massive difference, I know for my course that's 1.1 extra.

p10_slope.JPG
CONGU has not changed. One of the issues is that many courses don't change the par for different tees on the same hole. eg because the whites are a 475 yard par 5, the club has not made the yellows a par 4 when the length is 395 yards. The CR-Par is supposed (?) to help those countries that rarely play stableford to get to grips with net double bogey.

Further, your handicap score (ie Stroke Differential) is measured against the (slope adjusted) Course Rating not Par.
SD = (113 / Slope Rating) x (Gross Score - Course Rating - Playing Conditions Calculation). No mention of Par.

Springveldt

Visit site
CONGU has not changed. One of the issues is that many courses don't change the par for different tees on the same hole. eg because the whites are a 475 yard par 5, the club has not made the yellows a par 4 when the length is 395 yards. The CR-Par is supposed (?) to help those countries that rarely play stableford to get to grips with net double bogey.

Further, your handicap score (ie Stroke Differential) is measured against the (slope adjusted) Course Rating not Par.
SD = (113 / Slope Rating) x (Gross Score - Course Rating - Playing Conditions Calculation). No mention of Par.
As you say, your handicap index is measured against the course rating, par is effectively obsolete for handicap purposes. Still a strange decision though as it's not consistent and the whole point of this handicap change is for consistency.

IanMcC

Visit site
The formula above only gives the Course Handicap. To get the Playing Handicap you have to adjust for the Handicap Allowance.
eg 95% for individual medal or stableford
100% for individual match
85% for 4ball stroke/stableford
95% for 4ball match
Thanks again, rulefan.
This is going to make the matrix on the first tee quite complex, if the full gamut of information is given. I know that for a 4BBB at the moment, people do the 90% difference thing quite easily, but I think under WHS people would want to read off their Handicap Index directly and see their Playing Handicap in text right next to it. Any matrix I have seen on the continent is printed this way. With the vagaries involved here, I feel the matrix needs to just give the Course Handicap, and text should be added to the bottom explaining the percentages above. Anyone got any better ideas? I know that the software will produce an accurate Playing Handicap in the pro shop, but this is not always practical. (4BBB Match play knockouts, with a late tee time after the shop has closed, for example.)
Does the United States have these differences at the moment? If so, how does your matrix look on the first tee?