World Handicap System (comp with a comp)

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does the World Handicap System say anything about the legality of playing a comp with a comp?

Specifically can we play an 18 holes stroke play handicap qualifying comp and at the same time, off the same card score/result a Stabelford comp?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does the World Handicap System say anything about the legality of playing a comp with a comp?

Specifically can we play an 18 holes stroke play handicap qualifying comp and at the same time, off the same card score/result a Stabelford comp?
Why would you want to? As far as handicapping is concerned it would be the same as putting a card in twice; which you can't do.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Both comps are played under Stroke play rules so if you want two results -one for medal and the other for Stableford I do not see any problem. Remembering of course for a medal all holes must be completed or else it is DQ for the medal comp.

The comp within a comp is not normally recommended when you are playing a match and a medal/stableford because you are playing to different rules.

Swango1980

Visit site
Both comps are played under Stroke play rules so if you want two results -one for medal and the other for Stableford I do not see any problem. Remembering of course for a medal all holes must be completed or else it is DQ for the medal comp.

The comp within a comp is not normally recommended when you are playing a match and a medal/stableford because you are playing to different rules.
I'm confused. Are both meant to be Acceptable for Handicap (old style qualifiers). Because that couldn't work.

Even if handicaps are not to be effected, I'm struggling to see the reason to play 2 comps over one round? It is the same round. Last year we didn't play any of our 8 monthly medals due to time lost by Covid. But, if we could play a comp within a comp, could we just have played 1 round but made the scores count for all 8 medals?

I'm guessing I have misunderstood something.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm confused. Are both meant to be Acceptable for Handicap (old style qualifiers). Because that couldn't work.

Even if handicaps are not to be effected, I'm struggling to see the reason to play 2 comps over one round? It is the same round. Last year we didn't play any of our 8 monthly medals due to time lost by Covid. But, if we could play a comp within a comp, could we just have played 1 round but made the scores count for all 8 medals?

I'm guessing I have misunderstood something.

Balaclava makes no mention of being acceptable for handicap purposes. I think Rulefan's comments nay have confused the issue.

wjemather

Visit site

There is no issue with playing medal and Stableford competitions simultaneously, but scores must only submitted once for handicapping if the entrants are the same players.

As such, if you wanted to run both through your ISV with scores being input separately for each, one of the competitions would have to be setup as a "qualifier" and the other as a "non-qualifier".

If the entrants of each comp are different, then just setup two qualifying competitions.

ForeRight

Visit site
I've seen this done in a few opens quite some time ago. Prizes for medal scores and stableford scores, but each player or pair was only eligible for one prize.

Haven't seen it for quite some time now.

wjemather

Visit site
I've seen this done in a few opens quite some time ago. Prizes for medal scores and stableford scores, but each player or pair was only eligible for one prize.

Haven't seen it for quite some time now.
I've seen quite a few high-handicap competitions run this way, as it keeps players involved should they have a few bad holes early on.