Working out 'net double bogey'

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As a relatively new player I am confused as to how 'net double bogey' is calculated for handicap in a medal round. Say I take 9 on a par 5 where I receive 2 shots (not unknown!), is the 'net double bogey 7 (i.e my handicap par, but a double bogey over par for the hole) or is it 9 i.e double bogey over my net par?

Hope that explains my confusion. Explanations from PP's have suggested both answers!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
In the example you give, there would be no stableford adjustment. Another way of looking at it - which might or might not confuse you even more - is that the stableford adjustment adjusts the score on the hole to one more than the score which would have attracted one stableford point. If your score in the example had been 8, you would have scored one point with 2 shots on the par 5. You would have to score higher than 9 to be adjusted down to 9. Simple, isn't it?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
personally I dont see the need to round down holes tbh. you have a shocker on one or two then tough! I wouldnt want to be cut extra for carding 90 due to 2 9 or 10's on the card lol

Golf is over 18 holes.

Anyway thems the rules so I shall accept it is what it is

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
personally I dont see the need to round down holes tbh. you have a shocker on one or two then tough! I wouldnt want to be cut extra for carding 90 due to 2 9 or 10's on the card lol

Golf is over 18 holes.

I always though it was to help prevent the bandits from protecting their handicaps. 3 under handicap going up the 18th, even if you take a 12 then you are going to end up on -1 still and get a cut.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a relatively new player I am confused as to how 'net double bogey' is calculated for handicap in a medal round. Say I take 9 on a par 5 where I receive 2 shots (not unknown!), is the 'net double bogey 7 (i.e my handicap par, but a double bogey over par for the hole) or is it 9 i.e double bogey over my net par?

Hope that explains my confusion. Explanations from PP's have suggested both answers!

The 9 on the par 5 with 2 shots Is a nett double.
The 7 is a gross double.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
is that the stableford adjustment adjusts the score on the hole to one more than the score which would have attracted one stableford point.

Nice! That works for me.

I had a 9 on a par 3 the other day (I know... how? :) ) and figured it would count as a 5. However, I get a shot, so it was counted as a 6...

(please let that be right!)

The club computer does it, yes?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The other way of working it out is that it is the lowest score that would score 0 Stableford points.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice! That works for me.

I had a 9 on a par 3 the other day (I know... how? :) ) and figured it would count as a 5. However, I get a shot, so it was counted as a 6...

(please let that be right!)

The club computer does it, yes?

Yes, thankfully the handicapping software works it out.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Golf is over 18 holes.

Well, your handicap committee is required to, and will, apply the stableford adjustment whether you like it or not.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Golf is over 18 holes.

The rationale behind the adjustment is that the scores on the other 16 or 17 holes are more representative of your general playing ability than blowout on 1 or 2 holes.