Woodlands Manor (Kent) closing?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Redlibbets Owners desperately trying to get rid, basically a pay and play now, heard there was only a couple of hundred members.

Wolf

Visit site
Sounds like golf in Kent is in trouble in several areas then, Woodlands Manor, Redlibbets and Pedham thats 3 courses in an area where there used to be a huge demand. Add that in with Deangate going the way it did in recent times which had been there for years and is now a massive redevelopment complex, add in clubs like the Ridge struggling, West Malling who had the major redevelopment of the Hurricane course due to losing the church land and probably a fair few others it's not a great time for the county.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like golf in Kent is in trouble in several areas then, Woodlands Manor, Redlibbets and Pedham thats 3 courses in an area where there used to be a huge demand. Add that in with Deangate going the way it did in recent times which had been there for years and is now a massive redevelopment complex, add in clubs like the Ridge struggling, West Malling who had the major redevelopment of the Hurricane course due to losing the church land and probably a fair few others it's not a great time for the county.
I heard West Malling got the land back and were going to rejig again. Also dont forget Austin Lodge shut.

Wolf

Visit site
I heard West Malling got the land back and were going to rejig again. Also dont forget Austin Lodge shut.
I'd heard the same as well when I was back down at Christmas was chatting with my old man about it, from what I was told they are possibly getting the 5th & 16th par 5s back and working a rejig of what was pulled apart so to speak, bit ridiculous when you think about what it would of cost to do the first time round and now to piece it back together.

I'd totally forgot about Austin Lodge to be fair.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd heard the same as well when I was back down at Christmas was chatting with my old man about it, from what I was told they are possibly getting the 5th & 16th par 5s back and working a rejig of what was pulled apart so to speak, bit ridiculous when you think about what it would of cost to do the first time round and now to piece it back together.

I'd totally forgot about Austin Lodge to be fair.
And broke hill...

Wolf

Visit site
They did, but it is still only leased to them.

I've heard Southern Valley might be in danger too.
Hardly worth them putting it to how it was then as there will be opportunity this could happen all over again. Always found West Malling an odd one both course have some nice holes then they equally have some really dull boring ones that just fill gaps.

I believe Southern Valleys danger is related to the development of travel links there's the threat that the roads going basically right through the middle of it

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They did, but it is still only leased to them.

I've heard Southern Valley might be in danger too.
I don't think it "might be in danger", more a case of the owners new what might be coming before the course fully arrived.;)
Cobtree Manor is also struggling, with rumours it will either go to 9 hole, or close altogether.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I don't think it "might be in danger", more a case of the owners new what might be coming before the course fully arrived.;)
Cobtree Manor is also struggling, with rumours it will either go to 9 hole, or close altogether.
Cobtree have confirmed going to a par 3 whilst developed. Think they plan on 18 holes still in long run.

Homer

Visit site

But there are another 80 courses doing ok, in fact very well, and some turning people away!!

Wolf

Visit site
But there are another 80 courses doing ok, in fact very well, and some turning people away!!
I'm sure there are plenty still doing well and hope they continue to thrive I was born and raised in Kent and played many courses there, it's just sad that others are falling by the wayside for whatever reasons

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Shame if it goes. I enjoyed a lot of club matches there in the past and always found the members very friendly, and enjoyed the layout. I can possibly understand it struggling as the local area seems relatively sparsely populated and the drive there is "interesting". There must be easier places to get to and you have to wonder how many victims The Eiger has claimed over the years; certainly not a senior-friendly hole.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The while Pedham area is former landfill including the course. Won't be much left from seeing the plans.

Mind you landfill sites been converted to decent courses before including Le Golf National
If they can build a housing estate over a nuclear sub depot (including having to remove 10 ft of contaminated top soil) they can build over a landfill site. Just dont ask why Fantasies at Dartford closed:)

Wolf

Visit site
If they can build a housing estate over a nuclear sub depot (including having to remove 10 ft of contaminated top soil) they can build over a landfill site. Just dont ask why Fantasies at Dartford closed:)
Sounds like St Mary's island Chatham word is they don't need street lights the whole place just glows in the dark...

Fantasies sounds before my time, it was Zens when I went there and Fat Sam's to what a dive but always and interesting night and rarely was there need to go home alone 😂