Woodhall Spa - Hotchkin

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Myself and Autumn Wind had a trip up there today to play in the Summer Pairs Open

For £90 for the pair it’s superb value

All the changes that have been done have just enhanced the course to make it even better , just love the course , it was in superb condition , fairways excellent and the greens were like playing on snooker tables -

Just a brilliant venue - must be one of the best inland courses in the UK , must play for anyone

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Myself and Autumn Wind had a trip up there today to play in the Summer Pairs Open

For £90 for the pair it’s superb value

All the changes that have been done have just enhanced the course to make it even better , just love the course , it was in superb condition , fairways excellent and the greens were like playing on snooker tables -

Just a brilliant venue - must be one of the best inland courses in the UK , must play for anyone

It'll be a wreck when us forum members carve it up next week 😁

Grieve14

Head Pro
Visit site
I was there playing it today too, haven't been for 2 years but I felt the changes had taken something away from the course.. areas looks barren and holes that were previously tree lined had just been opened up into nothing. I thought it was a shame, the course is great but I preferred it how it was previously.

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers for the invite to play today, Phil. And for driving up there :thup:.

I’ve played many of the Top 100 UK courses, and Woodhall Spa in the sunshine today was one of the most enjoyable courses I’ve ever played. I loved every single hole. Every playing surface was in beautiful condition, and there wasn’t a bad hole on the course.

I loved it.

D

Deleted member 18588

When Hotchkin designed the course he did not envisage it becoming tree lined.

Hence, like several other leading heathland courses, a programme has been undertaken to return these tracks to how they were intended to play.

To my mind these changes will only benefit Woodhall.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Hence, like several other leading heathland courses, a programme has been undertaken to return these tracks to how they were intended to play.

totally agree - always loved the course but i love heathland courses when they open ip all the tree encroachment and let them breathe - i only hope Doak doesn't soften any of the great huge bomb-like bunkers - Phil also loved many of these the last time we played a couple of years ago with Rick and Rich - a great memory!

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i only hope Doak doesn't soften any of the great huge bomb-like bunkers
A few are softened, e.g. the right one by the 6th green, in the spirit of the original design as they got built up over the years. Some are removed, e.g. the one on the corner of the 10th dogleg. But fear not it is still a course which has to be navigated through like a minefield ;)

D

Deleted member 17920

I was there playing it today too, haven't been for 2 years but I felt the changes had taken something away from the course.. areas looks barren and holes that were previously tree lined had just been opened up into nothing. I thought it was a shame, the course is great but I preferred it how it was previously.

totally agree - always loved the course but i love heathland courses when they open ip all the tree encroachment and let them breathe - i only hope Doak doesn't soften any of the great huge bomb-like bunkers - Phil also loved many of these the last time we played a couple of years ago with Rick and Rich - a great memory!

A few are softened, e.g. the right one by the 6th green, in the spirit of the original design as they got built up over the years. Some are removed, e.g. the one on the corner of the 10th dogleg. But fear not it is still a course which has to be navigated through like a minefield ;)

Totally get some comments as its all down to personal opinions and its always good to hear what people think.

The Hotchkin is a heathland course that due to the trees that have been left to grow was gradually turning into a parkland course, in reality they should have been dealt with 30 years ago but have been left to encroach on the golf course, Tom Doak has been brought in to sort the course out and get it back to what it should be, a classic heathland golf course.

I know its the initial shock for most people with the trees on 6, 16 and 17 that are now gone but within 2 years all the heather that couldn't grow due to the trees will all return and it will be back to how it was when Hotchkin designed the course, Tom Doak has gone through most of the bunkers and reshaped them and made some a lot fairer to play from, he took the one from the fairway on 10 out as he felt it didn't fit in with the rest of the course and he also felt that 10 should be a good opportunity for birdie, the work he has done on the 6th and 14th is just staggering, the bunker complexes are just superb.

It will be very interesting to see what he does this winter when he does 1,2,3,4,15 an 18. Hole 2 for me will be really interesting with the monster deep bunkers off the fairway.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Totally get some comments as its all down to personal opinions and its always good to hear what people think.

The Hotchkin is a heathland course that due to the trees that have been left to grow was gradually turning into a parkland course, in reality they should have been dealt with 30 years ago but have been left to encroach on the golf course, Tom Doak has been brought in to sort the course out and get it back to what it should be, a classic heathland golf course.

I know its the initial shock for most people with the trees on 6, 16 and 17 that are now gone but within 2 years all the heather that couldn't grow due to the trees will all return and it will be back to how it was when Hotchkin designed the course, Tom Doak has gone through most of the bunkers and reshaped them and made some a lot fairer to play from, he took the one from the fairway on 10 out as he felt it didn't fit in with the rest of the course and he also felt that 10 should be a good opportunity for birdie, the work he has done on the 6th and 14th is just staggering, the bunker complexes are just superb.

It will be very interesting to see what he does this winter when he does 1,2,3,4,15 an 18. Hole 2 for me will be really interesting with the monster deep bunkers off the fairway.

Personally I'm delighted that all these classic heathland courses are removing all the trees that spoil the original playing characteristics, they are much better courses for it :thup:

D

Deleted member 17920

Personally I'm delighted that all these classic heathland courses are removing all the trees that spoil the original playing characteristics, they are much better courses for it :thup:

Agree with that, at first I was unsure but as I have now played the Hotchkin a few times I think it is better for it, once all the heather regrows I am sure it will be back to been brutal.

D

Deleted member 15344

The removal of the trees where a welcome addition, I remember them starting to suffocate the holes a bit and they just didn’t sit in with the course , especially when at the bottom was just covered in rubbish growth. When the heather grows in the areas it’s going to look superb

The bunkers were superb , raw , a shot penalty but you could get out and give yourself a chance , they were consistent which is what should be the main aim

I did have a little giggle to myself on the second remembering Ricks video of Paul taking his 12 shots 😂 just after Paul had videoed Rick taking a few

D

Deleted member 21258

Could not imagine Sunningdale old without the trees.:(

Certainly don't agree with the 'much better courses for it' and other than purists not sure the majority of the members will agree with that. Some holes will be but some wont be.

For me generally I would pick a tree based heathland course over any other tree/non tree based course and I don't really give a hoot over how they were originally designed and don't feel it is important, courses change, landscapes change :eek:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Certainly don't agree with the 'much better courses for it' and other than purists not sure the majority of the members will agree with that. Some holes will be but some wont be.

For me generally I would pick a tree based heathland course over any other tree/non tree based course and I don't really give a hoot over how they were originally designed and don't feel it is important, courses change, landscapes change :eek:

Yes courses do change. Years ago the Old course at Sunningdale was ranked higher than the New in every ranking list but now the New is ranked higher in a lot of cases. Whilst still a heathland course, the Old has changed into more of a parkland which is a shame in my opinion because that is not how it was originally intended. I firmly believe the heathland tracks should be protected as they were intended. You can build a parkland course anywhere but there are limited places you can build heathland courses.
I find it sad that you don't care or think it is important that our classic courses are changing.

D

Deleted member 17920

I get that but the Hotchkin was getting crammed in with silver birches that had been left to grow.

Sunningdales trees are not encroaching the fairway and there is plenty of heather before the trees, the Hotchkin was that trees has been left to grow so the heather was getting lost on the back 9.

The Hotchkin back 9 was starting to feel like a parkland rather than a heathland.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Less trees suits me!

Considering the amount of time I spent in them last year, plus at Forest Pines the following 2 days, I felt like I could give Ray Mears a few tips