Wood or Rescue

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have spent ages trying to fill the very same gap. Never found a 3i hybrid that I was confident with but found 5 woods I tried a bit too long. Think I have cracked it now with an older Adams RPM 5 wood. The grafalloy prolaunch blue shaft gives me a high launch and softer landing whilst the head is quite small so looks more like a cross between a wood and hybrid and works from the rough as well as off the tee and fairway. Only cost £40 as well

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Can't at the minute as I don't have the funds but I've never understood which club would suit me better a 5 wood or a 2I hybrid. Haven't hit my 3 iron that often but know my 4 goes a shade over 200 yards. To be honest I need to get more consistent with my current long clubs before I tinker but while the discussion was going thought I may as well seek bobs expert guidance! :D

Visit site
same problem as you all. However, I went with an old Ping HL3 iron. The reason for this is that it has a thick sole so good to help you out of the rough as well as good off the tee. The other advantage that I found over the 5 wood and rescue is that the height the ball gets is not too much so I can use this in the wind - if I remember Yorkshire this could be an advantage!

Current bag
Ping G10 driver
Orlimar 5 wood
Ping G2 HL 3 iron
Ping s55 4-W
Ping tour wedges 54 and 60 degree
Ping DOC 12.5 putter - I know a real horseshoe but it works!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can't at the minute as I don't have the funds but I've never understood which club would suit me better a 5 wood or a 2I hybrid. Haven't hit my 3 iron that often but know my 4 goes a shade over 200 yards. To be honest I need to get more consistent with my current long clubs before I tinker but while the discussion was going thought I may as well seek bobs expert guidance! :D

Is that carry or total with roll?

Tiger

Money List Winner
Carry I think, but I don't have a GPS so have a more accurate knowledge of carry on my mid to short irons when I'm hitting on par 3's or from around the 150 marker. Our longest par 3 is 190 and I hit a 5 iron that carries to the front/middle of the green. As it's on a slope to the front edge you don't get much roll. So I'd guess off the tee I carry the 4 about 200 yards...off the deck I always lose distance so probably anything from 190 to 19 yards :D

ps It's probably worth mentioning that as a gangly guy I have an extra inch on my shafts and the lofts in my irons are a bit stronger than normal, my 4 iron is 23 degrees

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got to get this sorted out pronto. It bit me twice tonight. Short once with a four iron and long with a 3 wood into a par 5.

There's a second hand Taylor Made 16 degree hybrid in the Pro Shop that I might take out for a test drive.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hey Mate,
Id go for the 5 wood if it were me....Its as flexible as a hybrid and it will be longer...Also you'll have a more penetrating ball flight if the wind is up.....

If your confident with woods there hard to beat.

One other club that maybe of use to you is a Wilson staff 19.5 Deg Fybrid....
In wilsons words it bridges the gap between irons and woods......Its not as small as a rescue but not as big as a wood its an in between size and it just might be the ticket your looking for..

nulassilb

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Currently carrying a 21 degree hybrid instead of a 5 wood. My 5 wood is longer but I am opting for slightly more accuracy with the hybrid. I'm hitting it about 200 yds and I carry a 4 iron which is 185 - 190.

Tiger

Money List Winner
23 is standard 4 iron I'm sure.

Oh? So at some point in the middle of my range the lofts must level out. Mine go 3 (20), 4 (23), 5 (26), 6 (29), 7 (33) 8 (37), 9 (41), PW(45) and I know most people's PW range from 46-48.

Oh well, still not sure what I'll end up doing in the future. Obviously got to tame the 3 wood first but when I do I still don't know whether a 5 Wood or 17/18 hybrid will be best.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
As a full 28 handicapper I'm currently looking to add a couple of clubs to go with my Cobra S2 Max set that goes up to a 5i. I am tempted to get the 4i from Cobra separately and then add a 3i/5w replacement hybrid as I have no ability to work the woods from an unteed lie. In future, as I hopefully improve, I may seek to add a wood to that setup for more penetrating flights and added distance but for now that isn't my priority.

huttonline

Club Champion
golfshot.com
like the previous comment, I am a new golfer and am thinking through this issue.

I've got a driver, 3w 5w and 7w (donated to me, but in decent nick) but can't use them at all, off the tee or off the fairway (when I get on it!)

So last time I teed off 15 of the holes (all the par 4s and 5s) with either a 3hybrid or 4hybrid that came with my set of irons. I then used the 4h for the second shot and covered 300-350 yards in two shots and got used to those clubs. Hopefully I'll get the driver out on the range before too long, but for now, I'll be using my hybrids on the course.