Woking Golf Club.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just been invited to play at Woking in a few weeks time.
It looks good on their website but what do you guys and gals think of it?
Couple of things I couldn't find out about and they are;
Is there a driving range and is there a spikes bar as their dress code seems a bit 'traditional'.
I'd like to have a beer after, but don't want to take a change of clothing.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

D

Deleted Member 1156

There is a small outside verandah that overlooks one of the greens (15th/16th?) where you can have a beer.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Very nice course. I would rate it just behind West Hill and Worplesdon, but don't tell the members that as they regard themselves as number 1.

They will be very 'traditional' as a golf club regards rules, so don't turn up and change your red socks in the car park while on the phone as you might not make the 1st tee!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've just been invited to play at Woking in a few weeks time.
It looks good on their website but what do you guys and gals think of it?
Couple of things I couldn't find out about and they are;
Is there a driving range and is there a spikes bar as their dress code seems a bit 'traditional'.
I'd like to have a beer after, but don't want to take a change of clothing.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Have you considered asking the club - or your host?

Not played it myself - but ranking it competitively with West Hill and Worplesdon is high praise! I heard a while ago that they had made some changes that considerably improved it from its 'good but not quite the same class as the other 2 'W's', so expect a lovely course!

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
Woking is a great golf course, it's probably my favourite out of the 3 W's but they're all fantastic.
I'm almost certain one of the bars is a spike bar but if not I've definitely had a drink in both having only changed my shoes.

As someone said theres a lovely outside area where you can sit and have a drink. Watch out for strat balls though as it's no more than a couple of yards from the 14th green!!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's the one I havent played although I spent a lot of time in the area. Must rectify that soon!
It’s the only one in that area I haven’t played that’s in the top 100. £65 twilight seems good value

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
It's my favourite of the 3 W's but each to their own. It has a good mix of holes and some very tricky greens if you miss on the wrong side. Plays a little short from the yellows.

I believe there is a driving range between 14 and 15 - never seen anyone on it or if it is range ball or use your own. There are nets by the practice green

It is traditional but in a good way. I have always found members/staff very friendly. Check the website but I beleive no golf shoes in the clubhouse and no shorts in the lounge, bar I think is ok. You need white socks (not the ankle kind) with shorts

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Lovely course in great condition. Fairways very lush with no signs of last years drought. Greens decent pace and smooth, but not easy to putt on. Some putts were impossible to keep on the green, and if you miss the green don’t miss high side.

There is a practice ground though only saw it when playing the 15th, and obviously didn’t use it !

Yes there is a spikes bar with a hatch to a terrace over looking the 14th. If you do have a drink outside watch out for balls hit over the 14th. Changing room is strange with a door for guests and a door for members. Once inside there is just one changing room. Think we changed in the wrong part !

Very friendly club, traditional feel, and after a slow start the course has a Swinley feel about it. Fully recommend the course and deserves its GM ranking.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s the only one in that area I haven’t played that’s in the top 100. £65 twilight seems good value
Definitely worth playing Sam but you need to play off the whites. Short off the yellows, especially front nine. Opening holes a bit dull, but gets going after the 4th.