Woburn March 2012

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Marquess to me was one of the best courses I had ever played, both in it's layout and it's condition (although I think it's greens were slightly shaded by the Dukes due to the small amount of top dressing they had received). A great mix of holes, some long par 4's where you really had to be on your game mixed with some shorter holes where a good drive was rewarded with a not too difficult second. I'd hate to play it off the back tees though!
I think the Dukes has the slightly tougher holes. That 4th (par 4) is a bit of a handful. I hit what I thought was a "decent" drive up there but hugged the left hand side a little too tightly. When I got up to my ball I couldn't quite see around the dogleg to the green and had to try to draw a shot around the corner. Aimed for the right hand bunker but unfortunately my ball didn't draw and I found the sand instead. Next time I'll aim a little more up the right hand side to open everything up a bit!
I think we played the best two courses though. The Duchess is a bit too tight for the more wayward hitters!

Ah the 4th - the hole that matched Augusta

Bluewolf also found that drive up the left a bit tight if i remember rightly ;)
Except i think i was running around screaming like a girl after hitting the tree root with my approach shot :0

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally i though the Dukes was awesome in all respects, beautiful views, pretty challenging, and the greens were good

Marquess i thought was good but not inspiring. I can remember lots of holes from Dukes but only a few on Marquess, and as Smiffy says the greens on Marquess werent as good due to the top dressing.

Having played Duchess before, which i also loved, i thought DUkes had more variety in the holes, although Duchess is still defintely the best quality course i have ever played - was like walking on a thick pile carpet

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I did prefer the Marquess although the Dukes experience was clouded by my shocking play and severe fatigue/aching feet.

I would like to play it again but 1st next time when I am feeling a bit fresher :)

r.e the group pic - Bratty you look like Xabi Alonso :D
You're the second person to say that... the first was a p*ssed up Scouser at Aintree! I can't see it myself!