WITB - Indulge me

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Got a set of Kirkland wedges for crimbo, which I'm looking forward to giving a try. Never been fussed over having 3 wedges in the bag, but the Cleveland 54 deg is on it's way out to make way for some shiny new short game clubs.
I'll get in the shed later, whip the grip off the cleveland and take an inch off it, and the youth can have that.

evemccc

Visit site
How many shots do you think will be saved by a brand new set of 14 fitted clubs, compared to 14 obviously non-fitted eBay purchases (nothing stupid from eBay like a set of butter-knife blades)?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
How many shots do you think will be saved by a brand new set of 14 fitted clubs, compared to 14 obviously non-fitted eBay purchases (nothing stupid from eBay like a set of butter-knife blades)?

I reckon changing weather from calm/sunny to rain/stiff breeze would make a bigger difference to the score than lots would see between fitted clubs V off the shelf clubs

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I bought these stupid butter knives off ebay for £85 in August, played 6 handicap qualifying rounds, took 0.8 (5.3 to 4.5) off my HI in the process.

backs.jpg

soles.jpg

grips.jpg

To answer your question, it cost me £85 for 0.8 off the HI.
£3,000 should get you a 28 shot reduction. Maybe not :unsure:.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I bought these stupid butter knives off ebay for £85 in August, played 6 handicap qualifying rounds, took 0.8 (5.3 to 4.5) off my HI in the process.

View attachment 45715

View attachment 45716

View attachment 45717

To answer your question, it cost me £85 for 0.8 off the HI.
£3,000 should get you a 28 shot reduction. Maybe not :unsure:.

They look absolutely :love:.

I used to have a set of over the hosel Ryders, I'm guessing they were mid to late 1970's clubs but could be wrong. I could play some great golf with those things.

D

Deleted member 1147

Depends how close to a good fit your current clubs are, and how low your handicap is before the fitting.

A higher handicapper with totally unsuitable clubs can be saved quite a few I’d have thought. Whereas a low capper with decent clubs, not many.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Driver TM m2 with matrix white tie
3 wood Mizuno jpx 425 speedier shaft
18 deg callaway xhot 2 pro Adidas tour green shaft
Irons mizuno jpx hot metal pro 4_pw project x lz shafts
Wedges mizuno T20 48, 9 deg bounce and 58 14 deg bounce.
Putter SC Newport select 2.5
Depending on SG app or new website 3.2 or 2.5

evemccc

Visit site

Are you ever tempted to try out a Players Iron or Players Distance iron from Mizuno? Forged/Tour in JPX or the Mizzy Pro range? With that handicap I’d have thought that would be right in your wheelhouse

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Are you ever tempted to try out a Players Iron or Players Distance iron from Mizuno? Forged/Tour in JPX or the Mizzy Pro range? With that handicap I’d have thought that would be right in your wheelhouse
Before this set I used forged blades for the last previous 12 years. When I was looking at upgrading I did have the forged in mind but did a blind test and the results and distance increase was too good to ignore. Still got an old set of mp32 and 57 that I bring out now and again, but at my age why give away 20 yards?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Do you find a big gap between a 48 and 58 wedge?

evemccc

Visit site
Before this set I used forged blades for the last previous 12 years. When I was looking at upgrading I did have the forged in mind but did a blind test and the results and distance increase was too good to ignore. Still got an old set of mp32 and 57 that I bring out now and again, but at my age why give away 20 yards?

Interesting.

I get that players clubs usually have traditional lofts (which all things being equal will increase spin, and therefore control) albeit you may give up some distance…but I don’t really get what the advantage is in having blades or forged clubs

How does narrower soles (commonly found on ‘better’ clubs) affect things?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Interesting.

I get that players clubs usually have traditional lofts (which all things being equal will increase spin, and therefore control) albeit you may give up some distance…but I don’t really get what the advantage is in having blades or forged clubs

How does narrower soles (commonly found on ‘better’ clubs) affect things?
I d say it's much easier to control the ball high, low cut and draw etc. You also get less variance of distance. I've had the odd shot that's gone 20/30 yards further with a GI cavity, never ever had a single one of these with a blade.

But saying that the high and straight I get with the jpx is hard to beat?

Smoj

Visit site
Driver - Titleist Tsi3 9* Aldila R.I.P. PHENOM 70
Recently bought a Tsi3 Head, still waiting for it to arrive but been playing a 917d2 for the last few months - will play it with my Aldia rip phenom untill I can find a tensei av blue shaft.

4Wood - Titleist Ts2 16.5* Tensei AV Blue 65
phenominal wood was playing a 913fd before and was a bit hit and miss, the ts2 solved everything, loft is a little bit high, and i dont perticulaly like using it off a tee, but off the deck its a thing of beauty

3Hybrid - Titleist 913h 20* Aldila Rip Phenom 80
4Hybrid - Titleist 913h 24* Aldila Rogue Black 85

Was playing 3 hybrids up until last month, then replaced my 17 hybrid with a 16.5 4 wood and put my 5 iron back in the bag and delofted the 26 hybrid down to 24 degrees - now my gapping is much better with just a 20 and 24 degree + 5 iron
decided to treat myself and bought a 818 h2 19 (with a tensei av blue shaft) and a 818 h1 23 to replace my 913 hybrids, hey served me well and they wereabsolute bomb units, but i fancy something new, but i am also thinking about already replacing the 818 h1 with a 716 TMB 4 Iron

Irons - Titleist 714 AP2 5-PW

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM5 50* // Titleist Vokey SM5 54* // Titleist Vokey SM7 58*

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Driver - Titleist Tsi3 9* Aldila R.I.P. PHENOM 70
Recently bought a Tsi3 Head, still waiting for it to arrive but been playing a 917d2 for the last few months - will play it with my Aldia rip phenom untill I can find a tensei av blue shaft.

4Wood - Titleist Ts2 16.5* Tensei AV Blue 65
phenominal wood was playing a 913fd before and was a bit hit and miss, the ts2 solved everything, loft is a little bit high, and i dont perticulaly like using it off a tee, but off the deck its a thing of beauty

3Hybrid - Titleist 913h 20* Aldila Rip Phenom 80
4Hybrid - Titleist 913h 24* Aldila Rogue Black 85

Was playing 3 hybrids up until last month, then replaced my 17 hybrid with a 16.5 4 wood and put my 5 iron back in the bag and delofted the 26 hybrid down to 24 degrees - now my gapping is much better with just a 20 and 24 degree + 5 iron
decided to treat myself and bought a 818 h2 19 (with a tensei av blue shaft) and a 818 h1 23 to replace my 913 hybrids, hey served me well and they wereabsolute bomb units, but i fancy something new, but i am also thinking about already replacing the 818 h1 with a 716 TMB 4 Iron

Irons - Titleist 714 AP2 5-PW

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM5 50* // Titleist Vokey SM5 54* // Titleist Vokey SM7 58*

I had the 716 Tmb 3&4 iron with Project x 5.5 shafts. They were ridiculously easy to hit. Contemplated a full set but didn’t scratch the itch - wish I had.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
TM M2 driver and 16.5° 3w
Titleist U505 4 utility iron
TM Stealth 5H
Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5i-60°
Scotty Newport 2.5

Also have mizuno JPX 2i and hot metal 4i as well as a TM M2 3H that I mixed around with in the summer

Smoj

Visit site
I had the 716 Tmb 3&4 iron with Project x 5.5 shafts. They were ridiculously easy to hit. Contemplated a full set but didn’t scratch the itch - wish I had.
got my 716 T-MB 4-iron today and even though my round was canceled i took it on the driving range instead, and, while i can't really take too much away from the session, hitting 180 constantly and accurately and the launch is fantastic.

Last edited:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My old set of Titleist 712 CBs. 910 driver and 3 wood and a 913 19* hybrid. A couple of SM 6 wedges and a 20 year old original 2 ball putter.