Winter - What does your course do?

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is very rare that the course closes down comletely due to weather conditions. Happens maybe once or twice each winter and only for a few days at a time, mostly after heavy snowfall.

I’m quite surprised at this, the course I’m looking at for after the big move is closed from Christmas-ish through to March, admittedly 1 country further over!

We have temporary tees for the par 3s and we have preferred lies in play for a couple of weeks now. We only have about 3 holes where a temporary green is possible so we’re a bit stuck on that front.

The 2 things I dislike about our place are that they run medals throughout the winter and they keep them as qualifier, both of which (for me) should be stopped as soon as balls start disappearing in the fairways.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
dont see why thats a ridiculous thing to do? fairway mats are awful, might as well just go to the range.
at least by placing the ball in the rough/first cut you get to play off grass, get the good lie you deserve (for hitting the fairway) whilst preserving the fairways for the summer.

Just about to reply the same thing! your spot on! plus its why our fairways are so good in the spring/summer/autumn!

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
This thought of thread makes me smile at the range of experiences you get in the UK... when at Bowood in Wiltshire, played with a guy who'd just moved from Glasgow. he asked about fairway mats in the winter, I'd never heard of them before that!

Current course will put the par 3 tees, and some others which are in heavy shade areas on mats from about now, till it warms up again. They like to rope off the fronts of greens to make trolleys avoid heavy wear areas , so out comes the carry bag!! We get some temps if frosty.. We have a couple of holes that don't train quite as well, but on the whole golf goes on as we know it!

Most stuff is a day to day decision based on the previous 24 hours weather... which in Welsh, is translated is to "how much rain we 'ad bud?"

Yeah its interesting the array of experiences you get! I personally hate the matts! I prefer pick and place.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah its interesting the array of experiences you get! I personally hate the matts! I prefer pick and place.

Yes much prefer pick and place, can't stand playing off fairway mats.

Didn't have many issues when I was a member at Baildon. Moorland course so was open pretty much all year round, expect for snow. Full tee's, only 1 maybe 2 temp greens and fairways fully open. Dried really well too, spots of water but nothing drastic. Infact it's a superb course over the winter months, tough (all year round) but very playable. They switch a couple of tee's but still grass tee's.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would hate to pick my ball up and place in the rough. I can think of several parts of our course where placing it in the rough (either side of the fairway) would leave you with a very poor position with no line to the green. If the rule was nearest rough the situation would be even worse. I think if that was all winter I would not be a member at all!

there is no way, putting the ball in the first cut of rough on both sides of a hole would leave you with no shot to the green. no chance whatsoever.

even if it was a 90 degree dogleg, you'd move it to the furthest side of the fairway.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Standard winter rules, pick and place. Aside from that, unless there is seriously bad weather, the course will remain open and playable. We have qualifiers all year round. It's a great place to be a member at.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Preferred lies then within 100 yards of the green the option to either use a fairway mat or move to the first cut. Winter greens when necessary.

Incidentally you're both a bit right on the move to the first cut or not argument. With the option, I usually prefer to move to the rough to play from turf rather than a mat but there are some times where I think I'd rather play from the fairway than come in at the angle I'd need to from the rough. Agree, though, I can't think of any time where I wouldn't have a shot to the green from either side of the fairway.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We sometimes go to mats or pick up and place ,your choice.
Just a tip, I use a small piece of artificial grass of fairly good quality as a mat.
I find it replicates turf very nicely.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Preferred lies then within 100 yards of the green the option to either use a fairway mat or move to the first cut. Winter greens when necessary.

Incidentally you're both a bit right on the move to the first cut or not argument. With the option, I usually prefer to move to the rough to play from turf rather than a mat but there are some times where I think I'd rather play from the fairway than come in at the angle I'd need to from the rough. Agree, though, I can't think of any time where I wouldn't have a shot to the green from either side of the fairway.

karen from 100yds and in angles are irrelevant - shoot that pin down 😂 especially in the winter!!

D

Deleted member 15717

preferred lies from 1st October....but that's it.

Full course, no trolley bans. No rule for plugged lies.

Only temps when specific conditions apply

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
From 1st Nov, winter wheels on trolleys only, no buggies, or carry your bag.
Course reduced to 16 holes for weekend comps, not sure about playing through the week.
Preferred lies
teeing up on fairways
Winter tees and greens

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
there is no way, putting the ball in the first cut of rough on both sides of a hole would leave you with no shot to the green. no chance whatsoever.

even if it was a 90 degree dogleg, you'd move it to the furthest side of the fairway.

par 5 at our course, two huge trees either side of the fairway 100 yards from green. If you are within 40 yards of the trees just off the fairway you don’t have the angle to go for the green and you can’t go over them and carry the 100 yards.
As you say 90 degree dogleg (we have 2). As you say one side you can’t cut any of the corner. On one the far side you have just made your uphill shot 220 yards instead of 175, and now on a downhill lie. Elsewhere overhanging trees (we have lots) will stop you.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
par 5 at our course, two huge trees either side of the fairway 100 yards from green. If you are within 40 yards of the trees just off the fairway you don’t have the angle to go for the green and you can’t go over them and carry the 100 yards.
As you say 90 degree dogleg (we have 2). As you say one side you can’t cut any of the corner. On one the far side you have just made your uphill shot 220 yards instead of 175, and now on a downhill lie. Elsewhere overhanging trees (we have lots) will stop you.

What’s your course?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Even though i play on a links course, its pretty northerly and grass tends to stop growing about Cct/Nov, until march. We are on Full course until end of November then we are on a shortened course with one of the short par 4's becoming a par 3 and the 7th a 495 yard par 5 into the wind becomes a par 4???? for some reason.

We then play from mats on the fairway or you can drop in the rough. We used to have drop to the side but with the milder winters we have been getting, with more people playing over winter, the first cut and edge of the fairways was getting destroyed.

Mats is not the end of the world TBH, only downside is when you come to spring again and back on grass, it takes a few games to get used to it again

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
dont see why thats a ridiculous thing to do? fairway mats are awful, might as well just go to the range.
at least by placing the ball in the rough/first cut you get to play off grass, get the good lie you deserve (for hitting the fairway) whilst preserving the fairways for the summer.

I don't disagree that fairway mats are awful. I wouldn't be keen to join any club that had either, but I'd certainly prefer them to being forced to not play off the fairway if I'd hit a nice sweet drive/shot.

I've played plenty of courses that have no such rule in place over the winter and their fairways are absolutely fine spring/summer/autumn

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Chesfield Downs is playable all year round. Winter we'll play off the yellows and mats on the par 3's. Pick, clean and place on the fairways. Very rarely on temps.

Knebworth really suffers in the winter. About 4 greens get water logged at the first sign of rain, sometimes they end up closing the holes as the temps get bad as well. When they are open they're so bobbly it's impossible to putt. Pick, clean and place on the fairways. Temps get used quite a bit and they're really bad so often don't even bother trying to putt out. Most of the time if it's raining then i won't even bother playing.