Winter wedges

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I get the suggestions to run it in, but my original question was aimed more to shots of 50-100 yards.
Around the green I prefer a low shot all year but surely when further from the green, even when faced with just fairway, or rough, between you and the green, a running shot combined with wet grass etc is also risky (especially on inland parkland courses etc).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I get the suggestions to run it in, but my original question was aimed more to shots of 50-100 yards.
Around the green I prefer a low shot all year but surely when further from the green, even when faced with just fairway, or rough, between you and the green, a running shot combined with wet grass etc is also risky (especially on inland parkland courses etc).

One of the many reasons I've been looking at the linear method for my pitching and chipping. It uses the bounce and I'm finding I'm not quite as deep with my divots and getting better contact in shots from 30-70 yards

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And if its that soft its even easier to "fat" it.

Go for a lesson from a professional and the majority of them will tell you to get the ball on the ground and rolling as soon as possible, not to try and lob it because the greens are soft.

What pros say and what they do can be two very different things.

[video=youtube;6u36CUWQaG0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u36CUWQaG0[/video]