Winter wedge play

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played yesterday for the first time in 10 days or so, we’ve had a lot of rain since then! The fairways are soft and I end up fatting most of my wedge shots from 40 yards+. I must’ve lost 7-8 shots just by taking 2 wedges to get on, very frustrating. Any tips for winter wedge game?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
You will definitely be looking to hit a 40 yard shot as if it was a 50 yard shot.
Because the ground is soft you won’t have as much compression as if it was hard.
Keep your speed up and keep the body rotating.
Practice
I hurt my shoulder 10 days ago and couldn’t hit any club more than 50 yards,I have spent 6 hrs over 3 days this week just pitching and chipping,probably in the region of 500 shots all on soft ground.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately I think the tip is strike it better. And I don't mean that in a condescending way as I have the same problem. ? I tend to put the ball slightly back in the stance, in summer if you pitch a fraction fat you get away with it with the bounce on the club, in winter when it's wet you don't get away with as much. The only thing I try and tell myself on pitch shots is try and keep the speed through the swing and don't decelerate at all. That way if you do hit the turf first at least it won't completely kill the club's momentum 100%. I tend to go up a club as well because a) you won't get as much roll out once it hits the green and b) my pitching wedge for example has lots more bounce than my shorter wedges so is more forgiving on these.

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Weight in less foot and just commit, and stay the way from high lofted wedges! If you can find a comfortable swing length and control the distance by grip position.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When the ground is soft if you tend to hit slightly behind the ball more bounce is advisable.

However it is mainly about the quality of strike - ball then turf (says a man who fats it a lot).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In winter I tend to just move my hands back slightly ( don’t over do it) this is how I chip if I want to get more height.
So no shaft lean forward start with hands level with the ball, and play around with what suits you.
This brings the bounce more into play. Not the leading edge.
Just try it , you might thin a couple at first but that’s usually better than a fat.
It does put more loft on the face so you need to adjust for the loss of length.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sounds like practice is the key here! Our range is on the fake stuff unfortunately so I’ll have a play round during casual rounds. I did club up but I may not have fully committed for fear of hitting it the proper distance. I guess you have to trust that it won’t.

I tried putting the ball back in my stance as well, hoping to ensure strike, but it didn’t work and I can see the reason why reading this. The club just digs in even more!

D

Deleted member 29109

you need to use the bounce.

Having your hands forward or putting the ball back in your stance will promote the leading edge making contact with the ground and digging in causing the chunk/fat shot.

Get the ball central an use the bounce to make contact with the ground under the ball. Attempting to strike down on the ball more will just cause even more fat shots or topping it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It doesn't matter what's in the black area, the ball's gone by then.

Untitled.jpg
Just don't quit on it so I would say take more loft and accelerate through impact

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played yesterday for the first time in 10 days or so, we’ve had a lot of rain since then! The fairways are soft and I end up fatting most of my wedge shots from 40 yards+. I must’ve lost 7-8 shots just by taking 2 wedges to get on, very frustrating. Any tips for winter wedge game?

Yup. Take a PW or 9 iron and bump em in. I remove all wedges in winter. Waste of time.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yup. Take a PW or 9 iron and bump em in. I remove all wedges in winter. Waste of time.

This will depend on a few factors
The Op was on about being 40 yards out on soft fairways.
So depending on how soft,will the ball run consistently.
Flying it all the way to a soft green and sticking it would be my preferred way.
Obviously if it’s links golf and a little firmer with short grass your way would probably be better.
Practice everything and work it all out,that’s the fun of practicing.