Winter Greens

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
TBH, I've always wondered why we come off them in frost, it's just always been done round our way, so always just been accepted that's how it is.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
We have temporary greens that are maintained as such all year, outside of winter they're marked as GUR.

Not as good as playing on the full greens but they're decent enough to putt on and be able to enjoy a round.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just found this in a topic from here a few years back..

What happens to turf in frost conditions?

Frost on the grass leaf blades tells us that the water inside the leaves is frozen. Remember that 80+% of plant tissue is made up of water, the primary component of plant tissue. When this water is frozen, foot traffic on the turf causes the ice crystals in the cells to puncture the plant’s cell walls thus killing plant tissue.

When they are frozen, the leaves of the turf get easily bruised by players’ feet. After thawing, the affected turf turns black or brown and becomes sparse. The turf can often remain thin for long periods if damage occurs early in the winter. The fine turf on greens becomes more susceptible to disease and the putting surface becomes very uneven.

More long-term damage can be caused when play takes place as the turf is thawing after a prolonged freeze. Under these conditions the top surface of the turf may be soft, but the underlying soil can still be frozen. Root damage occurs easily from a shearing action as players’ feet move the soft top surface against the frozen sub soil.

The process of damage to the turf normally occurs in the following pattern

* Bruising and damage to the leaf.
* Loss of turf colour.
* Severing of grass roots.
* Compaction of the soil.
* Thinning of the swards.
Read more at http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/sh...frost-damage-greens/page2#MqvfTUaeLOL46xTq.99
E]

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We might have been on winter greens today if it wasn't for the 4" of snow and heavy snow showers throughout the day.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
My club is very busy and has had a no temps guarantee for years and during the summer they are perfect and some of the best in the area or we wouldn’t be an Open Qualifying course and hold major events on it.

So if anyone tells me playing on them while frozen damages them, I’d say come and play on our greens in the summer or at any time and show me the detrimental affect playing on them throughout the winter and when frozen has had on them!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On our 9 hole course we do not have any temp greens. If the course is open you play on them regardless of water, frost, snow or ice.

We ran a trial of two winters with such conditions and decided to opt for it all year round every year.