Winter Greens

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Last year we went on to winter greens once at weekends during the winter, lucky really as ours are no more than a small circle marked off by white line paint with the hole cut in the middle, not really looked after and bit of a mess tbh, I can understand the greenkeepers not spending much time in them as they are a last resort.
What are your winter greens like?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
No idea. The idea of hitting off a plastic mat to a temporary green seems crazy to me, and I generally go away from my home club from November to March.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
White line around a hole in the fairway. Don’t care about putting when the winter greens are out.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
dont have them, full greens or course is closed

This at my current club. A previous club of mine in the area cut dustbin lid sized greens in front of the standard ones. They were not flat, they were barely cut, they were an embarrassment. If you are going to have them, and I get why, then at least make them decent.

Paul, do you have them all winter or just when the frost kicks in?

D

Deleted member 16999

This at my current club. A previous club of mine in the area cut dustbin lid sized greens in front of the standard ones. They were not flat, they were barely cut, they were an embarrassment. If you are going to have them, and I get why, then at least make them decent.

Paul, do you have them all winter or just when the frost kicks in?
They are only in use when weather dictates.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A couple of our are maintained all year round as they are alternate greens and have been measured for SSS. The rest we start to prep in September and they are regularly maintained throughout winter. They only have standard size holes and are normally part of the fairway. As per R&A Rules they wrong greens so they do not get divot holes in them when they are not in use.

This year we have been on them a 2/3 of times. We do not go to temp greens just because of frost, mainly when there has been substantial rain.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We're trialling staying on greens all winter. Not sure if that will apply for very heavy frosts (we've not had one yet) and how they will perform and what the longer term damage or not will be. The greenkeeper has been in post a couple of years and already transformed the course particularly the greens so the members have confidence in his decision

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
last week winter golf was pointless, now you want to play on winter greens?

Winter greens are pointless iMO, but not everyone has that opinion apparently. If it's a choice of winter greens or not at all I'd suspect the members would talk with their feet, but if it happens at whoevers course, then fine, it's their money, oh and I still played on them today :ears:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Winter greens are pointless iMO, but not everyone has that opinion apparently. If it's a choice of winter greens or not at all I'd suspect the members would talk with their feet, but if it happens at whoevers course, then fine, it's their money, oh and I still played on them today :ears:

I think your looking at it wrong, if we have snow, it’s water logged, or for any reason that the course is unplayable, the course is obviously closed, other than that we’re on full greens throughout the winter (all year) no temps.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think your looking at it wrong, if we have snow, it’s water logged, or for any reason that the course is unplayable, the course is obviously closed, other than that we’re on full greens throughout the winter (all year) no temps.

this :)

ps enjoy your winter greens

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

If the course is unplayable then it's unplayable, that's fair enough. What happens with heavy frost ??

Fish

Banned
Visit site
If the course is unplayable then it's unplayable, that's fair enough. What happens with heavy frost ??

Full greens if the course is open, there are many different (professional) views regarding playing on frozen greens and if playing on them have a negative effect on them, or not!